BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 October 2009 - 04:17 PM

Strain: Hillbilly
Inoculant: Mycelia slurry
Spawn: Popcorn
Spawn container: Medium pre-sealable filter patch spawn bags from sporeworks.com
Spawn Ratio: 1:3 / popcorn:bulk
Bulk Substrate: 40:40:20 / coir:castings:Poly (by volume)
Substrate depth: 4in
Spawn Run Temp: 83F-84F
Pinning/cropping Temp: 75F-80F

Process:
A pint canning jar with silicone injection ports and a double Tyvek vent was filled 2/3 with hydrated popcorn. Three medium pre-sealable spawn bags from sporeworks.com were filled with 10 cups of hydrated popcorn and 1 cup of bulk substrate and sealed with an Impulse sealer. Substrate and popcorn were mixed thoroughly before filling the bags. The spawn bags and pint jar were sterilized at 15psi for 90 minutes

After cooling completely, the pint jar was inoculated with .5mL of Hillbilly slurry, shaken and incubated at 84F-85F. When approximately 70% colonized, the popcorn jar was shaken thoroughly. At 100% colonization the popcorn jar was shaken thoroughly. After the jar was again 100% colonized, it was shaken violently to prepare for mycelia extraction.

180mL of sterile water was injected into the popcorn pint jar. The jar was shaken violently for about 3 minutes to break up the mycelia and distribute it into the water. Using a 60mL syringe, as much water as possible was removed from the pint jar. Approximately 165mL of mycelia slurry was recovered from the pint jar. This process was repeated 3 times to produce approximately 490mL of slurry inoculant.

Each spawn bag was injected with about 160mL of slurry through a silicone injection port. The slurry was distributed across as much of the popcorn as possible and the bags were kneaded thoroughly after inoculation. The bags were then incubated at 84F-85F until colonized 50%. The bags were then kneaded and incubated until colonized 100%.

90 cups of bulk substrate (40:40:20 coir:castings:Poly - by volume) was prepared. All substrate components were hydrated to field capacity before mixing. The bulk substrate was loaded into 9 medium sporeworks.com pre-sealable spawn bags, Impulse sealed and sterilized at 15psi for 90 minutes.

The 100% colonized popcorn spawn bags were thoroughly kneaded to break up all mycelia chunks. After kneading the bags were incubated at 84F-85F for 24 hours to allow time for recovery and test for bacterial contamination.

Popcorn spawn and bulk substrate were mixed in the aquarium with a large spoon. Approximately 10% of the bulk substrate was held back and used as a top dressing, covering all exposed popcorn. The Aquarium was covered with aluminum foil (on top) and incubated at 83F-84F until the substrate was completely colonized.

The foil “lid” had 8 holes in it, each about the size of a quarter. No attempt was made to tape the foil down, it was just press fitted to allow some fresh air exchange. The same aluminum foil “lid” was used for fruiting..

Fruiting was initiated by putting the aquarium in diffuse natural light (no direct sunlight). Fresh air was provided by manual fanning 3 times per day. No automated air exchange was used. No misting was required.

Time frame was 31 days from inoculation to harvest of the first flush.

Pictures of the aquarium (top and side) before harvest:

top_view.jpg

side_view.jpg

I love the Hillbilly strain! Such a giver.

Bulk substrates are fun...

Edited by Sidestreet, 02 October 2016 - 01:53 PM.

#2 Om shanti

Om shanti

S.W.I.M. in H.POO

• Expired Member
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 04:24 PM

Very nice!! :bow: :teeth:

Edited by Om shanti, 03 October 2009 - 04:32 PM.
dumb me

#3 Guest_nba1138_*

Guest_nba1138_*

Posted 03 October 2009 - 04:24 PM

SUUUUUPPEPRRRR JEALOUS

Nice man!!!

#4 CoyoteMesc

CoyoteMesc

howling mad

• Expired Member
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 04:28 PM

Cool, I see mycelium consuming some shrooms.

I see that with pans mostly. Can't say that any of my cubes have ever done it.
Although I chop mine down a bit sooner than some.

#5 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 October 2009 - 04:43 PM

Overly humid conditions cause that "reversion" growth where the caps turn back into growing myc.

Mr. Aquarium should have been fanned a couple more times each day. Maybe slightly larger breather holes as well.

#6 Dr.Hallucination

Dr.Hallucination

Chasing the Rabbit.

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,480 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 October 2009 - 04:45 PM

That is a full aquarium,very nice BB:eusa_clap

#7 lewiscarroll

lewiscarroll

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 92 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 04:47 PM

That's awesome. So are we really looking at 90 cups of substrate in that thing? Or did you do something else with the rest of it?

#8 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 October 2009 - 04:53 PM

Nope, everything is in the aquarium. Check the pic. The substrate represents a little less than 1/3 of the aquarium's total volume (about 6-7 gallons of substrate).

6 gallons is 96 cups.

We are so stupid for not having standardized on the metric system. Looking that conversion up on Google was annoying. But how the hell ya gonna remember that a gallon is 16 cups? What kind of goof ball uses base 16 counting? Hexadecimal is for computers and gate based logic. Not people.

So friggin' stupid.

#9 larshroom

larshroom

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 203 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 06:31 PM

BB, I aspire to growing a bulk like that...:bow:

So, you sterilize your sub instead of pasteurizing?

Also, When you say the foil lid was used in fruiting, do you mean you put the foil over the top of the aquarium so light would only come in from the sides?

#10 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 October 2009 - 07:01 PM

That bulk is worm castings and coconut coir and I sterilize it at 15psi for 90 minutes.

You would not want to sterilize manure or straw, but it can very safely be done with castings and coir.

The only light was ambient/indirect natural light coming in the sides of the aquarium. The whole top was covered with aluminum foil.
  • chrisnet likes this

#11 larshroom

larshroom

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 203 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 07:03 PM

What sterilizing just coir/verm? I have been trying to pasteurize but maintaining a 160 temp is proving to be not easy for me.

#12 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

Digging for Rainbows

• App Administrator
  • 9,127 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 October 2009 - 07:22 PM

Wow! Nice work. I keep hearing good things about slurry. How fast did the spawn bags colonize? A few days? Did the corn get prepared any differently to compensate for all the liquid that was gonna get pumped into it?

#13 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 October 2009 - 07:28 PM

The spawn bags take about 5-6 days to fully colonize.

A full cup of coir:castings:Poly (the bulk sub) is mixed into each popcorn bag before it is inoculated. That soaks up all the extra water and gets the myc to start producing the enzymes it will need to digest the bulk sub.

You should be able to sterilize coir:verm with no problem at all.

Edited by BuckarooBanzai, 04 October 2009 - 08:59 AM.
subject/verb agreement

#14 wildburr

wildburr

Wildest of Burrs

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,657 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 October 2009 - 11:26 PM

Very nice BB, I would love to have mine look like that. :bow:

#15 shroom_seeker

shroom_seeker

Still seeking...

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,612 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 11:30 PM

I'd like to walk through that mushroom forest. :amazed:

Very nice work Buckaroo!

#16 Guest_mystic_*

Guest_mystic_*

Posted 04 October 2009 - 12:10 AM

BB your work is inspirational to me. Very awesome and easy to follow.

:heartbeat

#17 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 October 2009 - 04:53 AM

Posted Image

That is one of the most impressive pictures I have seen in a while, a dense forest of mountain folks! Virgin timber indeed!

#18 CamelTom

CamelTom

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 166 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 05:14 AM

submit it for pic of the month
BB that looks badass
i hope i can do that good

#19 machinelf

machinelf

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 06:04 AM

Wow. That's one of the most impressive bulk grows I ever seen. That's very big mushrooms you have there and a beautiful canopy. As mentioned, very inspirational. Thanks for sharing the pictures and info. :bow:

Why do you shake the popcorn jar one more time after it's 100%?

#20 junior1

junior1

Cacooey

• Expired Member
  • 162 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 08:13 AM

Jeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzz
Awesome werk BuckarooBanzai:eusa_clap
:bow:
  • Jaspmf likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!