Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

question for the other tobacco growers here.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Mushrooms201

Mushrooms201

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 561 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 01:32 PM

I am growing tobacco this year and am having a hard time finding good information on the subject for a small scale grower. I was intending to use it mainly to make cigars but now want to try to to cure it and try it also as cigarette filler.

My leafs are not turning yellow and it has been getting progressively colder. How do you tell when to harvest varieties that are grown for tobacco?

I am also having a hard time with how to dry and cure the crop. I have about 50 plants. Anyone use piles with success?

Anyone able to recommend a few good sites? Or where to download an ebook?

Sorry for all of the questions but the advice is appreciated.

#2 tenjin

tenjin

dizzy with possibilities

• Expired Member
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 05:45 PM

I've grown tobacco a few times and I usually pick the leaves as they ripen (turn yellow). Not all will ripen at the same time it seems and seems to start from ground up. I tried curing indoors but must not have been enough ventilation as the leaves never turned brown and was harsh to smoke. So I sun dried them outside (make sure they don't get wet though it will ruin them), where they became brown and smooth to smoke. The leaves seem to cure well with good ventilation and/or radiant heat. I store the cured leaves in a tupperware in the fridge to keep fresh. Also tobacco is known to deplete your garden soil pretty bad so have to rotate crops, add lime, ferts, etc. after harvest.

Sorry don't have any links to share atm but that's how I did it.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!