- - - - -

Reusing Jars (post-contamination)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_eraupe_*

Guest_eraupe_*

Posted 07 May 2005 - 05:00 AM

Hi,
My last grow was a horrible failure, 15 1 qt rye jars with 100% contamination by wet spot bacteria. I am wondering if it is okay for me to reuse the empty quart jars in my next attempt. Should I just clean them with a bleach/water solution and a good scrubbing? Or will I be putting my next grow at an even higher risk of being contaminated? What would you do? Thanks.

-Eraupe

#2 britewire

britewire

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 05:05 AM

Sure, It's okay to reuse them aslong as you clean them properly with a detergent and a bleach after worth...

#3 max

max

canadian

• Banned Member
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 05:32 AM

After cleaning, pressure cook the empty jars for at least an hour before using again.

#4 britewire

britewire

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 05:52 AM

Yeah.. you could do that but is it really nessecary to cook them again"?

#5 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 07 May 2005 - 08:23 AM

I just wash them with soap and water and reload. The glass isn't going to harbor endospores.
RR

#6 sandman

sandman

BACTERIA!

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,814 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 May 2005 - 09:48 AM

yea ive used the same jars like 50 times and they've all surely had at least 5 contams in each qt. Hey we all gotta start somewheres. At first I would clean the jars and then bleach soak them for like 3 days, but then i got lazy and found out it doesnt really make any difference if you just clean em with soap as roger stated. Just make sure to get all the stuck solids out so the jars looks shiny and new.

Lmao I've got like 40 jars in a box somewhere that have contammed like a year ago that I cant bring myself to attempt to clean, I mean they is nasty. I plan on just tossing them.

#7 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 09:54 AM

yea ive used the same jars like 50 times and they've all surely had at least 5 contams in each qt. Hey we all gotta start somewheres. At first I would clean the jars and then bleach soak them for like 3 days, but then i got lazy and found out it doesnt really make any difference if you just clean em with soap as roger stated. Just make sure to get all the stuck solids out so the jars looks shiny and new.

Lmao I've got like 40 jars in a box somewhere that have contammed like a year ago that I cant bring myself to attempt to clean, I mean they is nasty. I plan on just tossing them.

lol i can imagine how disgusting they look. my friend has had a few jars like that. the kind that makes you cringe every time you even THINK about opening and cleaning it. she tossed hers too. :)

#8 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 12:40 PM

I just took a looksy at some of my G2G jars and the fuckers are all triched out. I'm so pissed! I used some spawn that had been sitting for a while and it looks like it bit me in the ass. But enough raving. I'm going to pc them for an hour and then just simply dump out the contamed seed wash with soap and water and try again!

#9 max

max

canadian

• Banned Member
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 04:23 PM

He said it was wet spot, thats Bacillus and endospores. The solution is an hour in the pc as stated in The Mushroom Cultivator and as I seen firsthand. Pc them *after* you have dumped out the crap and washed...

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!