• 98 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 12:02 PM

I bought a small digital toaster oven for pasteurizing small ammounts
manure/straw, that is enough for 1 tray at a time , I can set the oven
at 150 degrees or 175 degrees and was wondering which would be
the best temp/time .
150 drgrees for 2 hours or 175 degrees for 1 hour , I'm leaning towards
the 175 degrees for one hour and thought I should get an opinion from
someone else who's done a good bit of pasteurizing before .

#2 python

python

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 12:36 PM

well 165F is ideal.........

#3 Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Posted 22 February 2005 - 01:03 PM

lol.. ya know red rum...i have a toaster oven and never even thought of that... i do know however that it will dry out your substrait some...
LOST

#4 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 01:32 PM

ive pasturized around 180 from anywhere from 1-2 hours. and never really been too concerned with the moisture level. with the foil on top of the pan, it seems to help keep moisture in. and if it does seem a lil dry, i can easily make up for it with a lil misting.

never had a real problem imhe

#5 tempest2003

tempest2003

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 197 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 11:30 PM

sup guys, its coming down to it, im trying to figure out how to reach the perfect moisture content for for my straw/poo. i used RR's Rye tek and followed it to the T with great success, are there any such walktrhoughs or strong suggestions for my next step? i ordered a candy thermometer to monitor pasturization temps, will probably use the pillowcase method, but what about draining procedures etc? if one just throws the pillowcase in the tub its obviously going to still be soaking the next morning is it not? maybe i just have wierd pillow cases? help me out guys! thankS
-temp

#6 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 09:47 AM

i like to hang it
so it can drip dry

#7 highflyer

highflyer

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 423 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 03:26 PM

It will still be wet the next morning if a pillowcase is used. You can just simply wring it out a little with your hands. Note: you can not do this with bagged manure as it will turn to mud.

#8 tempest2003

tempest2003

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 197 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 08:11 PM

what if its a poo/straw mix? i read it should be mostly straw with straw only lightly covered in poo do i put both in the pillocase, pasturize then wring it out the next morning if still damp? thanks guys

#9 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 09:02 PM

has it been said if poo can be bleach/lime pasturized? if so maybe you can put it in the bleach/lime water with the straw (in a pillowcase i suppose)

#10 tempest2003

tempest2003

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 197 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 11:31 PM

would i have to use bleach also? how about just lime? what do u guys reccomend?

#11 Guest_pissybee_*

Guest_pissybee_*

Posted 22 April 2005 - 03:19 AM

Bleach can help but isn't totally necessary, I just pasteurize with heat and lime in water, all in a pillow case, then hang overnight to drain, squeezing it out real well when cool.... You want it so the poo is kinda wet/moist but not dripping... Take a handful and squeeze, should get a few drops of water no stream runnin down your arm....

#12 visions

visions

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 03:02 AM

I believe hot tap water with lime and bleach is perfect for pasturizing.

Definately hang them up... if you set them down moisture will collect on the bottom and contams can be drawn in and excess moisture is more favorable for contams than mycelia growth... If the pillow cases just seam to keep dripping and dripping make sure you squeeze them so they stop...

Also spawn as quickly as possible after it stops dripping... 1 qt grain or seed spawn should be good

#13 tempest2003

tempest2003

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 197 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 05:08 PM

Hey guys, i did the straw/poo tek by pasteurizing in 160deg water for 90mins, tied up pillow cast in the bathroom for 24hrs let drain, squeezed and nothing really came out, nocc'd with a 1/2 pint brf jar, and cant get anykind of myc spread. what could be the problem? im thinking its too wet, but i dont know, does, or would anyone be willing to put together a picture instructional? id appreciate any help you guys could provide me with, im down to the last, and thinking i could have some potential problems with the proper moisture content as well as straw to poo ratio. people say 50/50 but is that 50% of the straw compacted like the poo is? some details here im missing i guess. thanks in advance guys, keep it real.
-temp

#14 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 05:21 PM

When i'm done pasturizing my straw, I grab a hand full and ring it out like a wash cloth until all the water is done dripping out. Then I add to my bins as I go, building them all at once. After i'm done building my bins, I add my spawn, spreading it evenly over the straw. Usually 2qts of colonized wbs per 28qt. tray of straw for a 3-4 inch thick substrate. Then I just work the spawn down into the straw with my fingers as evenly as I can. You can just stick your fingers into the straw and shake your hand a bit. The spawn will work itself down into the straw. But in your case using brf to spawn, you could mix the straw/poo substrate with the brf cakes. Coating the straw/poo evenly with the powdered cakes.

#15 Guest_golly_*

Guest_golly_*

Posted 17 May 2005 - 05:54 PM

Beside having proper water content ,sometimes the myc can be reluctant to jump off from one substrate to another at first..To help give a smooth transition u can spike your PF mix or grains with a pinch of it's future substrate. This type of training can shave 2 days off colonization times..After having tested Stamets theory in parallel grows - i can say this def helps....

#16 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 06:05 PM

Beside having proper water content ,sometimes the myc can be reluctant to jump off from one substrate to another at first..To help give a smooth transition u can spike your PF mix or grains with a pinch of it's future substrate. This type of training can shave 2 days off colonization times..After having tested Stamets theory in parallel grows - i can say this def helps....

Hmmmmm. Cool! I've never read any of Stamet's material. I should head to library huh? I wonder if public libraries even carry any of his material? I think Hip mentioned once doing this type of thing for introducing a clone to a new substrate material.

#17 Guest_golly_*

Guest_golly_*

Posted 17 May 2005 - 06:20 PM

I think the TMC book is online somewhere..

#18 tempest2003

tempest2003

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 197 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 06:30 PM

Lazlo it doesnt sound like you take any real precautions as far as being sanitary goes, or am i mistaken? do u use gloves, face mask etc? do you do your transfers from pillowcase to bin in open air? what kinf of environment do you do these things in? looking for a little heads up info. thanks man, preciate it.
-temp

#19 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 06:40 PM

Lazlo it doesnt sound like you take any real precautions as far as being sanitary goes, or am i mistaken? do u use gloves, face mask etc? do you do your transfers from pillowcase to bin in open air? what kinf of environment do you do these things in? looking for a little heads up info. thanks man, preciate it.
-temp

LOL! I feel where you're comming from. I do lime/bleach pasturization for straw, all open air. No glooves or mask. This time of the year is a different story. Trich is germinating everywhere. I don't recommend using straw in the warm seasons at all. I switch to coir substrates in these months. Although, they can be troublesome also. This is were lime is key for warding off trich until 100% colonization.:D

#20 Guest_texas_bob_*

Guest_texas_bob_*

Posted 17 May 2005 - 07:57 PM

nocc'd with a 1/2 pint brf jar

I would use like 2 or 3 brf 1/2 pints jars. Might help in faster colonization.:)

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!