• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#41 chill

chill

celtic tiger

• Expired Member
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 01:53 AM

I prefer oven pasteurization as you can combine the straw and the poo and there is less mess since there is no water to deal with.

In a turkey aluminum foil roasting pan mix 3 parts poo 1 part straw and 1 part water.

The mix will be too wet but that is ok as some of the water will evaporate out.

Cover pan with aluminum foil.

Bring the oven up to 200F and place in oven for 1 hour.

Allow to cool and check moisture content (it should be good).

#42 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 30 January 2006 - 01:35 PM

Chill, thats a really easy way. A lot easier than my steps. (see, everyones got their own way to do it :) )

Does the straw get hydrated enough doing it like that, without a pre-soak? I would think straw would always need a pre-soak to hydrate it before past.
Do you really shred the straw up finely? I'm sure if it wasn't chopped or shredded really finely then a soak to hydrate would help.

#43 chill

chill

celtic tiger

• Expired Member
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 01:55 PM

Hi 'chino,

yea it seems to work just fine. See this link:

http://mycotopia.net...read.php?t=7466

This is how I did this tray. It has worked consistently. Maybe if I did it the way you suggest I would get better yields? Who knows, I'm lazy and this seems to work but a presoak sounds like a good idea and very little extra work so I might try that as well :)

Yes, the straw is chopped up finely. I think that is important for colonization and since I don't pre-soak it may also be important for pasteurization.

#44 xxanxx

xxanxx

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 174 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 02:51 PM

^^Def. important to chop the straw, even if you do pre-soak. Seems to me that your ratio for the oven is a little wet, which is why it works. It's a great, super-simple way to do it, thanks for the info!

#45 funguess

funguess

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 06:37 PM

Thanks alot guys, I think ill go chino's way and pasteurize it all together in a pillow case. Just got two questions:

Should everything in the pillow case be about a 50/50 mix by volume?

Is there any other ingredients i can add to the pillow case before pasteuriztion to benefit the overall substrate(verm,coir,etc).

Again thanks to all for the great info:)

#46 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 30 January 2006 - 07:05 PM

Should everything in the pillow case be about a 50/50 mix by volume?
Is there any other ingredients i can add to the pillow case before pasteuriztion to benefit the overall substrate(verm,coir,etc).
Again thanks to all for the great info:)

A 50/50 mix is good. You can always work with the ratios.
Some people add verm to loosen the manure, but I'd say your straw is a good cut for it too. I've just past. my first poo/coir substrate today to see how that goes.

And I use hydrated lime. This will raise the ph. I guesstemate a 5% ratio to the volume I'm doing. You can either add it to the past. water (I do it that way) or you can mix it in dry. I like to mix it in the past. water, that way I don't get lime clumps in the substrate. I have a ph meter to help me check my substrate and casing ph's. I always aim for a ph of 8. The mycelium seems to be happy with that for me.

Others add different things I'm sure so hopefully they will chime in on other ingredients.

Chill, when ya get a chance, try a pre-soak. See if it helps at all. Though you might have to cut back and use 1/2 part water since the straw is hydrated.
I like the look of your cyans :) I'm still working on mine lol. Its a bitch to get fruits for me :lol:

#47 chill

chill

celtic tiger

• Expired Member
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 07:12 PM

Good luck 'chino.

I'm hoping mine pin nicely. I've only ever gotten this far once before so I wouldn't say that it is a done deal. Here's hoping.

BTW, how do you prefer your 'nym? Full spelling or is short OK?

#48 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 30 January 2006 - 07:48 PM

Any nym choice is good :)

(sorry for off topic)
Your cyan print is the only strain I've got to fruit for me yet. :) Though I still suck at it I'm hoping my last spawn of Goliaths will fruit. If not I'm ditching Goliath's to move on to the pan viet's and Fl. cyans. Hopefully I'll be able to send ya a cyan print back :lol:

#49 chill

chill

celtic tiger

• Expired Member
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 01:37 AM

Am glad the print worked out :)

Good luck with the Goliaths.

#50 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 10:27 AM

I prefer oven pasteurization as you can combine the straw and the poo and there is less mess since there is no water to deal with.
In a turkey aluminum foil roasting pan mix 3 parts poo 1 part straw and 1 part water.
The mix will be too wet but that is ok as some of the water will evaporate out.
Cover pan with aluminum foil.
Bring the oven up to 200F and place in oven for 1 hour.
Allow to cool and check moisture content (it should be good).

200*F is far too hot for pasturization.
the correct temp range is 160*F +/- ~5*

#51 chill

chill

celtic tiger

• Expired Member
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 12:15 PM

The thing about the 200F temp is that when I measure the core temp in the substrate when I pull it out of the oven it is somewhere around 160F.

When I set the temp at 175F and checked the substrate it was at 140F

Any feedback on this is appreciated.

#52 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 07 February 2006 - 11:44 AM

I find I prefer the 140 past. temp. the best. Usually I aim for 140-160 for past.

My oven sets to 170, so I do my casing mix at this 170. I've never taken the temp. of my casing mix (too lazy to worry bout it).

Chill, its interesting your oven has a 35-40 degree mark of less temp. to whats baking. I should take the temp of my casing mix next time I do some to see if mine has this as well.

#53 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 12:10 PM

If you're using manure from a field and not a bag, skip the straw. Field manures have a great texture to begin with. Straw isn't needed...

#54 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 07 February 2006 - 12:13 PM

I agree Lazlo, field manure has great texture. Make sure you crumble it up really well too. I don't even cut my field manure with any verm or anything. Though I may start to to add volume, less crumbling haha.

#55 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 02:57 PM

archive material
merged threads included

#56 ttam

ttam

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 86 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 07:41 PM

what do you guys use to pasturize your dung? i'm using cattle dung and i put it in a laundry bag and put it in nearly boiling water for 90 minutes. is that good?

#57 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 8,002 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 July 2007 - 08:00 PM

I use a pillow case and dunk it for 1 hour at 160 degree F

Attached Thumbnails

• 4Drain poop.JPG
  • 3Pasturize poop.JPG
  • 2Bag of Poop.JPG

#58 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,927 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 July 2007 - 08:01 PM

Get a candy thermometer and pasteurize @160*F for about 2 hrs. Boiling will sterilize your poo.

#59 kingkc

kingkc

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 08:27 PM

I like to use an old Mr. Coffee . I just put whatever it is I am heating into the glass and then let water go through the thing til just below the spout.
Temperature is about right . Very simple. Sometines I use a pot with a candy thermometer . Good luck.

#60 ttam

ttam

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 86 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 09:22 PM

great thanks a lot for the help...two more questions though

1. how do i dry out the poo? and how dry does it have to be before i mix it with my mycelium (used rye)?

2. and would the leftover water be good for watering plants with? my friend loves to garden so i figured i'd give him the poo tea, or are there any other uses for it?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!