• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#1 marsofold

marsofold

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 348 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 08:01 PM

A newspaper in Denmark that ran 12 comic drawings of the prophet Mohammed started a furor in the islamic world. Libya has closed its embassy there in protest and the Saudis are infuriated that the government won't arrest the newspaper people. Demark is advising that its citizens immediately leave all mideast countries for their own safety after threats were faxed to them by the Al-Aqsa Martyr's Brigade. Arab countries are beginning protests and boycotts of all things Danish. One of the links: http://seattlepi.nws...t_Drawings.html

I downloaded the comics. If the mods here give permission, I'll post them. Warning: they may be rather boring to western eyes...

#2 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 08:07 PM

fuck 'em
if they can't take a joke.
post away.

#3 pskovinsky

pskovinsky

Ex-chat M0d of Doom, y3

• Expired Member
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 09:17 PM

I bet that there are all sorts of Evil Christian Cartoon sort of things in the Islamic world, and they prolly love 'em.

The various islamic powers seem to be taking serious offense at reletively slight things these days.

Closing embassies in a country just because some of it's citizens drew some anti-islam cartoons? Thats pretty bad :P
(I wanna see 'em, boring to the west or otherwise)

#4 marsofold

marsofold

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 348 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 09:39 PM

enjoy

Attached Thumbnails

• 9.jpg
  • 10.jpg
  • 8.jpg
  • 6.jpg
  • 7.jpg
  • 5.jpg
  • 3.jpg
  • 4.jpg
  • 2.jpg
  • 1.jpg

#5 marsofold

marsofold

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 348 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 09:40 PM

The last two

Attached Thumbnails

• 12.jpg
  • 11.jpg

#6 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 10:45 PM

seem fairly harmless to me.

#7 Raul del Angelo

Raul del Angelo

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 123 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 08:09 AM

I think that these drawings are "cute".
I don't much care for cute but I'm not
willing to kill over it. These guys must
be hell to try to decorate for.

I guess it goes to show that we really
don't understand these people.

It's really to bad we can't settle our
differences with the Arab people. We
share the same God as them, the God
of Abraham. One would think that would
be a bond that shouldtie us together
as brothers.

Maybe they're just a bit tense lately and
don't see the joke here.

Peace, Raul

#8 Guest_pissybee_*

Guest_pissybee_*

Posted 31 January 2006 - 08:16 AM

I think that these drawings are "cute".
I don't much care for cute but I'm not
willing to kill over it. These guys must
be hell to try to decorate for.

I guess it goes to show that we really
don't understand these people.

It's really to bad we can't settle our
differences with the Arab people. We
share the same God as them, the God
of Abraham. One would think that would
be a bond that shouldtie us together
as brothers.

Maybe they're just a bit tense lately and
don't see the joke here.

Peace, Raul

Share the same God? I don't believe any of the stuff most organized religions try to teach... Nor do I believe in any of these foreign Gods...

#9 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 31 January 2006 - 12:19 PM

I agree whole heartedly, bee.

Share the same God? I don't believe any of the stuff most organized religions try to teach... Nor do I believe in any of these foreign Gods...

I would hate to be so uptight that I could not have a good laugh or cut up a bit. These people must really hate the life their god gave them.

#10 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 03:48 PM

here-
let's piss 'em off
even more-
Wafah Dufour, the daughter of bin Laden’s half brother, Yeslam Bin ladin
aka UBL's niece
:lol:
i hear she's starting her own reality TV show...

Attached Thumbnails

• r1362305870.jpg
  • osamasnience1.jpg
  • osamasnience.jpg

#11 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 03:58 PM

Several more European newspapers have added to a growing controversy over cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed by reprinting the caricatures of the Muslim prophet Friday. Anger over the images is not only growing in the Muslim world, but in Europe as well.
Muslim protesters chant slogans during a demonstration outside French embassy in London
France's leftist Liberation newspaper joined others in Belgium and Italy Friday by reprinting the cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed that first surfaced in a Danish newspaper last September. Media around Europe this week have decided to republish the images in the name of free speech.
But their decision has sparked uproar in the Muslim world - which continued to grow on Friday.
In Iraq, thousands of demonstrators protested against the cartoons following Friday prayer services. Iraq's top Shiite cleric joined other Muslim leaders in denouncing the cartoons. Similar protests erupted in the Palestinian territories, where an angry mob burned Danish flags in Nablus. Palestinian militants also lobbed a home-made bomb at the French cultural center in Gaza. Nobody was injured. The violence has prompted some Europeans to leave Gaza and the West Bank.
Indonesian Muslim protester shouts 'God is great!' outside office building housing Embassy of Denmark in Jakarta
Demonstrations also took place in Malaysia, Indonesia and Pakistan Friday. Muslim politicians have also expressed their anger at the images, but in more diplomatic tones.
The United States has also denounced the cartoons as an unacceptable incitement to religious or ethnic hatred. State Department spokesman Justin Higgins said the "cartoons are indeed offensive to the beliefs of Muslims."
The controversy has spread to Europe as well. In London, British Foreign Secretary Jack Straw criticized the decision of a number of European publications to reprint the cartoons.
"I believe the republication of these cartoons has been unnecessary, it has been insensitive, it has been disrespectful and it has been wrong," he said.
Mr. Straw praised the British media for showing what he called "considerable responsibility," and refraining from reprinting the cartoons. But BBC television briefly broadcast them on Thursday.
In France, President Jaques Chirac balanced the right of free speech with the need to respect the values of others. Prime Minister Dominique de Villepin offered a similar reaction in remarks, Friday.
Mr. de Villepin said his country was founded on democracy and liberty. But he said respect is also necessary - and a concern for not needlessly doing harm particularly, when it came to religious convictions.
Like their counterparts elsewhere, a number of religious leaders in Europe have also denounced the reprinting of the cartoons.
Inayat Bunglawala, spokesman for the Muslim Council of Britain, condemned acts and even words of violence from Muslims in reaction to the cartoons. But he also told British radio Friday that newspapers should have exercised better judgment.
"This is a situation that extremists will be looking to exploit and it is important that this row is defused and the way forward is for these newspapers to recognize the hurt they have caused and say so plainly," he said.
And in France, the Union of Islamic Organizations said it would press charges against the French newspapers that have published the images. French Catholic as well as Jewish leaders joined Muslims in criticizing the reprinting of the cartoons.
France's Chief Rabbi Joseph Sitruk told France Info radio that while he did not believe in either Christian or Muslim prophets, it would never occur to him to make fun of them. "Our societies need to learn respect," he said. But Rabbi Sitruk also said violence and threats in reaction to the cartoons cannot be justified either.

Attached Thumbnails

• ap_indonesia_denmark_embassy_cartoons_protest_195_eng_3feb06.jpg
  • ap_France_cartoon_controversy_Muslim_protests_03feb06_210.jpg

#12 pskovinsky

pskovinsky

Ex-chat M0d of Doom, y3

• Expired Member
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 04:05 PM

awwww even the US had to denounce 'em.

For the most part, they don't mean much to me, though i do like the bomb-turban.

This one though, is straight up hilarious:
http://mycotopia.net...07&d=1138675126

Had me bent over cackling like a madman.

I do love a nice politically uncorrect anything...

Who'd want 47 virgins anyway? That sounds closer to my hell really.

#13 perrch01

perrch01

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 04:57 PM

But thats the point, it is not a foreign God, it is the same that Christians worship. Islam also believes in Jesus. The main difference is the messenger, that being Muhammed. There are differing beliefs in the religion but it boils down to many similarities...

#14 perrch01

perrch01

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 04:58 PM

I would hate to be so uptight that I could not have a good laugh or cut up a bit. These people must really hate the life their god gave them.

A big part of the offensive is that the cartoons depicted a face on Muhammed which is stirctly forbidden by Muslim law

#15 Felix

Felix

FWAP Member

• Expired Member
  • 266 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 05:06 PM

Being islamic sure involves alot of hateing....

#16 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 03 February 2006 - 05:20 PM

Yeah, I actually saw a show the other night about this. It did make me re-think the statement I made above. Although it is not in my nature to be controlled, I can see how some one who is terrified to question their support structure could be pretty upset, but I still think evryone needs to laugh a little more even at their own expense. :hippie:

A big part of the offensive is that the cartoons depicted a face on Muhammed which is stirctly forbidden by Muslim law

#17 Fungusaurus

Fungusaurus

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 316 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 06:26 PM

The real thing in this matter is, that the newspaper that printed these drawings,
and the danish government, has apologized for not anticipating the insulting impact these drawings has on muslims, but at the same time made it clear, that in the name of freedom of speech, they cannot apologize or regret printing these drawings. So in the eyes of muslims this is like saying: Were sorrry, but, haha, were not really sorry anyway. Thats why they are so pissed off right now. Its over 4 months since the drawings were printed but it is the recent semi-apologizes that are pouring gas on the fire...

what a fucked up world...

#18 Mycolangelo

Mycolangelo

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 394 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 06:39 PM

Lunatics get very upset when the truth hits close to home.
All religons are manmade. Spirituality is not.
I chose the devine insight from the fruits of the gods.

#19 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 06:42 PM

the problem is that we non-muslims
are not bound by muslim law
and they had better learn to deal with that reality.
we are not under sharia,
we are not bound by the pope
nor the mullah.
we are free men.

#20 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 03 February 2006 - 07:16 PM

Wow. I agree.

The christians say their religion is under attack because greeters at walmart said 'happy holidays', jews seem to think the whole world is anti-semitic, and now the islamists think we should follow their religion. They all need to chill.
RR

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!