eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 October 2009 - 03:03 PM

Eats Halloween Treats

post-5996-13818764256.gif

Tis the season for the Halloween treats.

Many ways to make these here is how I do it.

Supplies:

Spoon
Microwaveable bowl
semi sweet chocolate chips or reeses peanutbutter chips
2oz dry mushrooms
canola oil
ice cube trays or any type of mold you can find

post-5996-138187642285.jpg

coffee grinder

post-5996-138187642228.jpg

Procedure:

Determine how much chocolate you need per piece

Place enough chocolate chips into your mold. fill it about 80% of the way to the top.
The rest will be dry mushroom material This is how much chocolate you use per piece.
You want roughly around 1.33 grams per chocolate. This allows you to figure this out by the ounce dry.

post-5996-138187641858.jpg

28 grams divided by 1.33 = 21 chocolates per ounce.

You don't want to use too much or too little chocolate. Too much results in a muddy,
gritty mixture. Too little makes you have to eat more chocolate than you want to.

Using ice cube trays this amount is 20 grams of chocolate per cube.

so 20 grams chocolate x 28 grams mushy material= 560 grams chocolate per 21 pieces or 1 oz dry mushroom material.

So, we are going to make 2 ounces dry in this batch. This should make 42 chocolates. If you want the
chocolates to be bigger for a bigger dose. Then simply add more chocolate when you put it in the mold
so the piece is bigger. Any more powder and less chocolate and it will be too dry to be enjoyable. So the total
is 1120 grams of chocolate per 56 grams dry of mushroom material.

Also realize that you may lose some chocolate to the side of the bowl and in reality you may only be able to
make fewer chocolates than you anticipated. This is where the experimentation is. You have to figure out that
fine balance of placing too much chocolate into each mold.

1) Grind your mushroom material into fine powder so that it mixes in well with the chocolate.

post-5996-138187642247.jpg

post-5996-138187642269.jpg

2) Place your 1120 grams of chocolate in your bowl.

post-5996-138187642043.jpg

3) Place the bowl in the microwave for 1 minute. You don't want to go over 1 minute. Chocolate has a
melting point somewhere at 115 degrees. 1 minute is perfect. also the burning point is above 125.

chocolate

this is some info on microwaving chocolate. there are many different ways of doing it. microwave is the easiest.

Melting using a microwave oven.
This does mean that water and steam can be avoided, which is good. You now need to watch how much you microwave;
obviously too much is not good. It is always better to err on the low setting and do a minute at a time, till you get
more proficient. So you can build it up bit by bit, varying the time for the amount you are melting; see below.
I have given a rough guide of times, but you need to be sure of your own microwave oven. These times are for
a 650 watt microwave; please use as guidance only. For 50g to 125g try 5 mins on low. Over 125g try 6 minutes
on low. Place the chocolate, in roughly equal pieces, in a glass bowl, so you can keep a good eye on it again.
It's also a good idea because a glass bowl conducts the heat evenly. The thing to watch out for with this method
is that the pieces will often keep their form and will not look melted, even when they are, so check properly, by stirring,
which is a good thing to do anyway.

in my case 1 minute then 30 seconds on the 2nd run works perfect. ive tried this on 2 other microwaves as well with no issues. when i do over that. the chocolate burns. you don't want to burn it. put it in small 1 minute intervals. should take no more than 2 mins tops. and thats for 1120 grams chocolate.

post-5996-138187641989.jpg

4) Stir the chocolate with your spoon a bit. It will melt down about halfway. Should look like this.

post-5996-138187641902.jpg

5) Stick the bowl in the microwave again for 30 more seconds and no more.

post-5996-138187641874.jpg

6) Now stir it again and it should be creamy smooth like peanut butter.

post-5996-138187641936.jpg

7) Dump your mushroom material into the chocolate.

8) Stir consistently until the powder mixes in well with the chocolate. If you measured incorrectly
and added too little chocolate its ok. The mix will be hard to stir and look grainy and chunky. You
don't want that. Quickly microwave extra chocolate for 1 minute then stir, then another 30 seconds.
Then stir. And add that if necessary. Then stir in.

post-5996-138187642191.jpg

9. Spray oil onto your cubes. So that when they are done they plop right out.

10. Try to evenly spoon in your chocolate mixture into each cube. To make bigger pieces simply add more chocolate.

post-5996-138187642024.jpg
11. After you complete one tray. Then take the tray and hit it downward on a hard surface so that each
time you do it the chocolate evens out. The bottom of the tray would be hitting a hard counter. I do it maybe 10 times firmly.
post-5996-13818764197.jpg

12. Place your cube trays in the freezer for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes take them out, flip the tray on paper
towels, then wrap them in foil. And your done. You can leave them in the freezer for longer. And they should store in the freezer for a very long time. Time to a have a good Halloween!:rasta:

post-5996-13818764271.jpg

post-5996-138187642659.jpg
post-5996-138187642695.jpg

Finish. The whole procedure should take about 10 minutes.

Attached Thumbnails

• traysflipped.jpg
  • done1.jpg
  • done.jpg
  • head.gif
  • supplies1.jpg
  • mushypowder.jpg
  • mushyingrinder.jpg
  • grinder.jpg
  • chocstirready.jpg
  • chocstirready2.jpg
  • chocolate.jpg
  • chocoafter1min.jpg
  • chocointray.jpg
  • chocflattenedout.jpg
  • choc2ndstir.jpg
  • choc1.5min.jpg
  • choc1ststir.jpg
  • 1.jpg

Edited by eatyualive, 31 August 2014 - 08:32 PM.

• eastwood, Lakegal7 and like this

#2 copelandiaKidd

copelandiaKidd

I am

• Free Member
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 03:26 PM

thanx a bunck Eats. I enjoy these kinds of treats. just have to wait for the trick-or-treaters. they will have a great night too!!!!! totally kidding!~:rasta:

#3 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 October 2009 - 03:41 PM

Excellent thread, man. That is the best how-to I've seen for chocolates!

#4 eastwood

eastwood

Dragon Bait

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,612 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 October 2009 - 03:53 PM

Kick zombies in the ass and bark at the moon :eusa_clap .Im coming trick-or-treating at your house :amazed:

#5 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 October 2009 - 03:54 PM

yeah headed to a party on halloween. these are the party favors im handing out. lol...gonna be some lucky partygoers. plus the guy throwing it loves eating mushies. hes gonna be super happy!

#6 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 October 2009 - 05:21 AM

That is a cool tek. I use a double boiler for the chocolates, mix in the powder after, and then distribute to the molds. I don't know if I am graceful enough to mix it in each individual mold. I might give it a try sometime. Thanks for posting that!

#7 P4ulada

P4ulada

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 945 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 06:37 AM

Uh, very nice! Definitely I´ll try it ^^

Thanx bro!

#8 neo Figment

neo Figment

(evo)figment **OG**

• Expired Member
  • 436 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 07:07 AM

How are you adding photos without a bunch of thumbnails on the bottom of your post?

#9 sagiboy

sagiboy

-= Eat Em ALL =-

• Expired Member
  • 917 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 08:02 AM

3) Place the bowl in the microwave for 1 minute. You don't want to go over 1 minute. Chocolate has a
boiling point somewhere at 100 to 110 degrees. 1 minute is perfect.

if i may..
http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Bain-marie better than microwave. imo.

checking ideal heat with... your lips! just touch with your lips the melting chocolate. it should be no warmer than your lips.

p.s.
thats gonna be nice halloween party... :headbang:
i need to put my hands on those molds
Posted Image

#10 Indonesia

Indonesia

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 406 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 08:59 AM

cool! thank you for the recipe eatyualive. foaf had been looking at chocolate recipes for halloween lately and plans on making a batch today or tomorrow.

:rasta:

#11 dice

dice

Jack of all trades.

• Expired Member
  • 2,477 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 October 2009 - 09:01 AM

Damn eats they look tasty.
Excellent write up bro.
Hope you have a blast at the party man.

#12 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 October 2009 - 09:08 AM

sagi, if you don't have a microwave you can do it that way. but its a pita to use another bowl, heat up the water ect..

microwave. you put it on 1 minute. take it out. stir it real quick then just stick it in for another 30 seconds. real easy. most people have microwave.

also i meant burning point. not boiling point. oops.

i also like to use reeses peanutbutter chips as well.

good tip though. but i just find the microwave 10 times easier. im looking for speed. i can whip up a batch real quick this way. but if you don't have a microwave ive updated above with some wiki links and some info on melting chocolate from a good website.

How are you adding photos without a bunch of thumbnails on the bottom of your post?

[ attach][ /attach] without the spaces. also click your images that you uploaded. look at the url. there are two sets of numbers in your url. it is the first set about a 5 number sequence generally before a d. you copy paste that number in between attach and it will attach your image to where you want it in the thread.

#13 MushroomJoe

MushroomJoe

Mycotechnician

• Expired Member
  • 429 posts

Donator

Posted 29 October 2009 - 09:45 AM

My wife and I are going to be making some this weekend.. Maybe with dark chocolate and a little peppermint extract. I will let you guys know how they come out, and possibly write a TEK to go along with it.

#14 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 09:47 AM

Sounds like a great way to transport for the holiday! Do you think this would work with mostly peanut butter or maybe half PB and half choc? I'm not a big fan of chocolate. Yeah yeah, i know i'm not a real girl... :eusa_snoo

#15 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 October 2009 - 10:31 AM

I have been making chocolates for a few years. I have found that PB and milk chocolate and the like do not mix up as well as plain old dark chocolate--they tend to clump a bit more. I would go very heavy on the candy-to-powder ratio if dark chocolate ain't your thing. It will work, for sure, Bev.

#16 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 10:40 AM

I actually prefer dark chocolate to milk chocolate (part of the reason i don't like choc is because it's too sweet) but it's hard to find dark choc chips around here for some reason. I guess i could chop up come candy bars...

Thanks for the tips!

#17 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 October 2009 - 11:21 AM

Then you are set. It's the milk that tends to fudge the mix up, along with a higher percentage of powder. Just get semi-sweet morsels in the baking aisle of your local grocery, unless you are not in the US.

#18 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 October 2009 - 11:26 AM

yeah they are short on dark chocolate unsweetened as well round these parts. i tend to do like a 20% reeses peanutbutter content to chocolate pieces. seems to work good. but yeah mlb is right. the peanutbutter reeses chips do get a bit clumpy. but last few times i did it worked great. and reeses mmmmmm

#19 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,505 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 October 2009 - 11:28 AM

Trip or Treat at Eats house !

:headbang:

#20 stonedcoder

stonedcoder

table for 2 @ RATEOTU

• Expired Member
  • 517 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 11:48 AM

eatu - this is freaking awesome - i'd love to try this ...maybe for the winter holidays ...

how about ... doing a topia chocolate bar ?? lol

Chocolate covered Brownie (made with canna butter of course) man i'm getting hungry. - I also like the stealth factor of these goodies ...

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!