• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pizark2

pizark2

hallucinaginusinghooligan

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 10:53 AM

I started a small pen with 7 coturnix quail.2nd night heard a racket and ran out to see 2 big ass raccoons chomping on one of them.I had bought that 1 inch chicken wire and they reached right in there and grabbed one and were eating it through the wire.Went and got 1/4 inch mesh wire and secured the cage.Next night they were out there again,but couldn't get in and got away before I could "get em". Spent the next couple nights sleeping with the shotgun,but no coons.Tired of losing sleep and jumping up every 20 minutes to look,I got a live trap.Well I have woken up the last 3 mornings with a different cat in there each morning! (we have a neighbor with at least 10 cats). I am hoping to catch the coons,but these damn cats,lol. Oh well,at least I got to eat my first 4 fried quail egg sandwich for breakfast-yummy. I used to like raccoons! Thought they were "cute",F-that now. Didn't realize this new hobby would be so stressful!

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_0531_20.JPG

• buteo likes this

#2 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 11:00 AM

Aww, what precious little birds they are! :thumbup:

I love quail and their eggs. Careful though, the yolks are much higher in cholesterol than chicken eggs.

#3 buteo

buteo

Imbicilzzzz

• OG VIP
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 11:00 AM

yep keepin quail is tough. i had 50 bob whites get destroyed by coons in 1 night...big disapointment...especially when they have an amazing sound.....bob...bob white....nice little whistle. coturnix look cool too...goodluck with the rest of em :)

#4 growurown

growurown

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 209 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 10:18 PM

i was reading that coons suppost to be going for 8 to 10 bucks this year. So if you do get them. Check out a raw fur buyer. I would anyway.
Still pretty early for there fur though.

#5 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 09:17 AM

use fruit for bait will draw fewer cats.
'coons are smart-
kinda brace the trap back against a tree/post
then cover the cage with shrubbery to conceal.
clear area around cage of anything coon might grab.

#6 pizark2

pizark2

hallucinaginusinghooligan

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 08:02 AM

thanks for the tip hip
not a coon still,but a "sippy cup" with lid the youngun left in the yard with juice in it was severely chewed up,so they are still lurking

#7 weeeeeee

weeeeeee

humanoid

• Expired Member
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:42 AM

never had quail eggs only the bird itself but you have definitely peaked my interest

this may sound strange but in a way i cant wait for the madness of festival life to stop so i can really get into being a homesteader of sorts
i hope you get those coons i used to have similar thoughts about them being cute until they ripped apart my friends ducks when we were little kids that and just destroying trash cans like its their job

#8 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 10:31 AM

I have a healthy respect for raccoons. They are smart, they learn, and they get up to 50 pounds in my area and are mean as fuck. I've had a large male charge at me while getting out of my car; he's part of a large family pack that forages through my neighborhood every night. Unfortunately, once they've recognized a food source there's really no getting rid of them unless you kill them or trap and remove the entire family group.

#9 copelandiaKidd

copelandiaKidd

I am

• Free Member
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 01:49 PM

they are soo cute.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!