• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 doobydoobydoo

doobydoobydoo

Lifestyles Moderator

• Expired Member
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 01:14 PM

I've had two habenero pepper plants growing inside all summer long. They've made flowers, LOTS OF FLOWERS, I mean rediculous amounts of flowers, like 50 at a time per plant, but then, no peppers. Flowers die, fall off, no peppers.

These things must have flowered 4-5 times already and not a single habenero pepper. They look very healthy and they've gotten so big I've had to prune them back many times. They come back strong, produce more flowers, and still, no peppers.

I read something about giving them too much fertilizer could keep them in a vegetative state, so I've not been giving them any ferts cept for early in the beginning. They look very healthy, green, thick stems, and again now, there's gotta be at least 50 flowers on each plant if not more.

Anyone have any ideas why these are not making and fruits or peppers? I'm shocked because these seem to be highly productive plants, just not making peppers from the tons of flowers.

:eusa_thin

#2 BotanyPhD

BotanyPhD

Ska Ska

• Expired Member
  • 307 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 01:56 PM

It is correct what you did read. An excess of nitrogen will keep your plant in a vegatative state. What type of fertilizer and substrate are you using? How often are you watering? Do you know your soils pH? Ill try to help the best I can

#3 piggy69

piggy69

E.O.S

• Expired Member
  • 233 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 02:02 PM

Humidity and temp also effect all of the chinense peppers. Try putting them on a sunny window in the bathroom.
Also I have had luck with some and not others. Never had any luck with the Habaneros but have done fine with Dorset Nagas, Aribi Gusano and Madame Jeanette. They can be polinated with a small brush but dont need to have any outside pollination. If you want some seeds pm me.

#4 Ben Dover

Ben Dover

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 04:38 PM

Old timers will tell ya to throw a pack or two of matches in the hole to up the phosphorous and sulfur. IMO you should find some fertilizer thats higher in P, low in N, and add some sulfur and fertilize them. If you only fertilized them at the start they have most likely used up the nutrients need fruit.

You could get some "bloom setter" and spray on them. I think this stuff has hormones that helps the blooms mature and start a fruit. Or it could just be a magnesium solution. Peppers love magnesium. This can be made with one or two tablespoons of Epsom salts to a spray bottle. spray the leafs and buds

How hot is it in the room? Some times the heat won't let the blooms set. That bloom setter will take care of that.

#5 ggod

ggod

MycoAddict

• OG VIP
  • 676 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 07:00 PM

IME... The lack of cool temps at night is what causes the flowers to fall off and not produce any fruit. My jalapeno's finished the year with very few fruit compared to previous years.

ggod

#6 doobydoobydoo

doobydoobydoo

Lifestyles Moderator

• Expired Member
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 05:25 PM

Well, must be my luck in making this post, beacause today, FINALLY, after months of waiting, I have 2 peppers on one plant! WOO HOO! I dunno what it was, but finally, there are peppers forming. And lemme tell ya, if just half of these flowers make fruits I'm gonna have a bucket of red habeneros! 2 so far, more to come hopefully. They are small and green, and just noticed them on the left plant tonight. I'm thinking this post scared the plants and they finally started to fruit ;););)

Thanks for the advice guys. Will keep you updated on how these work out now.

#7 Mermaidia

Mermaidia

Sober Sister

• Expired Member
  • 4,173 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 05:32 PM

Glad to hear you scared them into fruiting, :lol:
Now if were that easy with everything else, huh?

Do you have any pics of the little peppers?

#8 copelandiaKidd

copelandiaKidd

I am

• Free Member
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 05:34 PM

:amazed:I dont know If it is applicable, but :dance: :dance: :dance:

#9 doobydoobydoo

doobydoobydoo

Lifestyles Moderator

• Expired Member
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 09:07 PM

Glad to hear you scared them into fruiting, :lol:
Now if were that easy with everything else, huh?

Do you have any pics of the little peppers?

nope, no pictures yet... my camera is being a true non-wazzler lately... I really need to invest in a new one. Battery life is really really poor. Now it won't even let me take one pic :(

But they are doing well, just gotta hope a good portion of these new flowers fruit and I'll be very happy. Gonna make me some good ol fashioned chili.. nice and spicy... lots of beef, like at least 6lbs, maybe even 9lbs of it! :)

#10 tenjin

tenjin

dizzy with possibilities

• Expired Member
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 09:38 AM

I grew habanero last year outside in garden and grew really well. I only used neptune's harvest fertilizer on them every once in a while. I know they like really hot weather as my grew best in the middle of July. After harvest, I realized these peppers were a little too hot from my taste, but did throw a little bit in some chili. And ended up pickeling my cayenne peppers, they are a good addition to a dinner plate, pull a pickeled pepper out of jar and place on the side of plate to munch on with addition to main course. Glad you got some fruits showing now, thought it was weird there was flowers but no fruit popping out. And your chili sounds good! :thumbup:

#11 doobydoobydoo

doobydoobydoo

Lifestyles Moderator

• Expired Member
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:36 PM

4 hot peppers sited :)

#12 doobydoobydoo

doobydoobydoo

Lifestyles Moderator

• Expired Member
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 05:10 PM

4 hot peppers sited :)

14 Hot Peppers now sited. None red yet :)

Someone told me that habeneros will not be as hot when they turn red... Anyone know if this is true? I would think they would be ripe and ready to go when they turn red as these are called red habeneros. Right now all are green.

PS, I hate an orange scotch bonet habenero today at work... HOLY COW, was that a spicey pepper! I dunno how many of these homegrown ones I'm gonna put in my chili, but it's not gonna be a lot. At first I thought I would use about 1 habenero per lb of meat, dats gonna be WAY to hot. So I might only use 1-2 habeneros for my whole batch. It's easier to make it hotter, but once you put it in there, it won't be easy to make it milder. :) hehehe

#13 doobydoobydoo

doobydoobydoo

Lifestyles Moderator

• Expired Member
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 03:48 PM

OK, so two red peppers so far. They turn red in about 3-4 days from fully green. Just about ready for picking I'd say.

I got my new camera so here's a few test pictures. First picture is from the old camera, rest are from the new one on the lowest resolution setting...

August 8th -

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1260391635

December 9th -

Attached Thumbnails

• inside hot peppers, dec 9th 2009 005.jpg
  • inside hot peppers, dec 9th 2009 006.jpg
  • inside hot peppers, dec 9th 2009 002.jpg
  • inside hot peppers, dec 9th 2009 001.jpg
  • inside hot peppers, aug 8th.jpg

• mycobri likes this

#14 HaX

HaX

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 03:51 PM

I've had two habenero pepper plants growing inside all summer long. They've made flowers, LOTS OF FLOWERS, I mean rediculous amounts of flowers, like 50 at a time per plant, but then, no peppers. Flowers die, fall off, no peppers.

These things must have flowered 4-5 times already and not a single habenero pepper. They look very healthy and they've gotten so big I've had to prune them back many times. They come back strong, produce more flowers, and still, no peppers.

I read something about giving them too much fertilizer could keep them in a vegetative state, so I've not been giving them any ferts cept for early in the beginning. They look very healthy, green, thick stems, and again now, there's gotta be at least 50 flowers on each plant if not more.

Anyone have any ideas why these are not making and fruits or peppers? I'm shocked because these seem to be highly productive plants, just not making peppers from the tons of flowers.

:eusa_thin

pepers need the heat of summer and a lot of light

Those pics look very very good for an inside grow

#15 doobydoobydoo

doobydoobydoo

Lifestyles Moderator

• Expired Member
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 03:59 PM

testing some higher resolution pictures... I think I'll be needing to shrink these.. this is the 2nd lowest setting and it's like 1600 x 1200 or something nutty... lol.. ut I'll post a few test pics and we'll see...

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1260392298

Attached Thumbnails

• inside hot peppers, dec 9th 2009 009.jpg
  • inside hot peppers, dec 9th 2009 010.jpg
  • inside hot peppers, dec 9th 2009 008.jpg
  • inside hot peppers, dec 9th 2009 007.jpg

#16 doobydoobydoo

doobydoobydoo

Lifestyles Moderator

• Expired Member
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 04:02 PM

Yep a little big...

So here's one more picture of todays peppers... resized with photoshop. That should be good to show ya what I got happening. :)

Keep in mind, these are only under a dual T5 lamp with 48 watts, 24 watts per bulb (1 blue spectrum, 1 orange spectrum), and in soil.

... and this pepper should look red, though it looks a lil orange in the picture...

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1260392546

Attached Thumbnails

• inside hot peppers, dec 9th 2009 008 (smaller res).jpg

#17 Jaspmf

Jaspmf

Watchin em' grow

• Expired Member
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 04:47 PM

Think you could "will" my plants into filling my screen please?
Just toss up a quick post saying Jaspmf's canna-plants STILL haven't filled the screen. It'll work like a charm right?

Nice lookin peppas pal! Kinda nice seeing something other than pot grown indoors :D

#18 doobydoobydoo

doobydoobydoo

Lifestyles Moderator

• Expired Member
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 06:51 PM

I just ate one of them redish/orangish peppers. And, VERY VERY HOT. A stinging burning kinda hot. VERY GOOD, VERY HOT. The outside flesh is mild, but omg, THE SEEDS AND RIBS!!!! WOOOOOOOOOO WHOAAAAAAA WOWSERS BABY! Woot :) I like it. Gonna be some good chili, I'm not putting too many of these in it, dats for sure! LOL :puke::amazed:

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1260402515

WOOT
  • AmBe likes this

#19 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,904 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 December 2009 - 06:59 PM

Too many? One should be enough! :lol:

Thanks for the inspiration, I have been thinking about doing some indoor peppers for a while now. What is your light cycle running?

#20 doobydoobydoo

doobydoobydoo

Lifestyles Moderator

• Expired Member
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 08:49 PM

Too many? One should be enough! :lol:

Thanks for the inspiration, I have been thinking about doing some indoor peppers for a while now. What is your light cycle running?

Yes, possibly only 1 in the whole big pot of chili. Will be starting with one and I'll see what sort of kick it has.

Light cycle is running 18hrs on / 6hrs darkness. I found this to keep the nodes at nice compact levels with minimal stretching since my lights aren't very powerfull.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!