• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#41 MycoMistress

MycoMistress

Friscosa freak

• Free Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:46 PM

Nothing too interesting here, but I thought I'd share a few photos of the mycelium in the houseplant where the mushrooms origiinally appeared. Last summer I was poking around in the plant to see if any mycelium was still alive and found some. I dug little holes and put fresh potting soil in them to replace bark chunks I'd put there. I also pressed a chunk of Hickory into the soil. The mycelium colonized the soil and the Hickory chunk (of course).

Today I decided to repot this plant. I added a bunch of soaked Hickory and Alder to the new pot and layered the wood chunks with the potting soil the mycelium seems to like. I added some mycelium to each layer.

You'll see in the first two photos how there is no mycelium anywhere except for the top inch or two..That's where I've been feeding it, so I guess that's where it wants to be. The third photo is of some tiny pieces of colonized wood I put on cardboard last June. It exploded into growth!

A belated thanks to waylitjim and nightflyer for their comments and advice! :shy:

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_8988 June Mycelium.jpg
  • 101_0547Mycelium2 smaller.jpg
  • 101_0544Mycelium1 smaller .jpg

#42 nightflyer

nightflyer

Far Journeys

• Expired Member
  • 466 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 12:32 AM

Very interesting informations, thanks! :thumbup:

Please keep us updated!

#43 Phungivore

Phungivore

ɹǝuoɟ ƃuıʞɔnʇs

• OG VIP
  • 659 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 08:50 AM

would i ever be stoked to have some fricosa popping from my flower pots. this to me is a sign, that you should learn more about mushroom cultivation.

#44 MycoGranny

MycoGranny

In Service to the Teacher

• Expired Member
  • 244 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 10:16 AM

Thanks, hyphenation. I've already dried them. I also have a few of this species from two years ago. They've been stored in a glass jar in a dark, cool place. I'm curious about potency loss over those years. I did eat a stem of one of the older mushrooms and got a nice sparkly feeling--definitely active. I can already tell the visuals will be out of this world! :loveeyes:

Any more journeys to report? This is a remarkable story. My sibling has a Masters in Hortic. like you, ( and a PhD in Plant Pathology (Funghi speciality, I am almost tempted to ask his stodgy help given how "naturally" it comes to you!

You rock.

#45 MycoMistress

MycoMistress

Friscosa freak

• Free Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 12:56 PM

I'll keep everyone updated, nightflyer. The third photo in my last post shows the mycelium around two weeks after I put the wood on the cardboard, not after five months!

Phungivore, I am! I'm reading and learning everything I can. I'm even doing burns in our backyard, dumping Morel spores and mycelium on the ashes and mixing them in! Who knows if it will work, but it's easy enough to try!

I think I'll be wondering forever how cyanofriscosas just showed up in my houseplants. I'll never know! Arghh! :eusa_wall

I like your signature.

minidonx, thank you. I don't have any degrees, but have been a plant person for almost 20 years now--even longer if you count me going out in the woods all the time with my plant and mushroom guides as a teenager. I've worked at nurseries and like to create a garden wherever I live, indoors and out! One nursery I worked at even had Salvia divinorum cutting for sale! This was a long time ago.

This isn't the first time I've worked with mushrooms. In the late-eighties I did an experiment with Ps. cubensis that was successful up to the casing stage. I had to abandon the project because I moved to another town and couldn't take my big, bright red plywood glove box with me and set it up. I look at the photos these days and realize how close it was to fruiting. I don't talk about this much because I'm embarrassed that I abandoned everything. I retrospect I should have kept studying mushrooms--maybe even pursued a degree in Mycology. I was so confused at that age.

It does seem to be time to do some experimenting/journeying again, with this mushroom appearing in my house.

I have a San Pedro forest in the living room too. Most people don't know what they are. I don't know what my housemates would think of me boiling up a bunch of cactus. Maybe I'll tell them I'm making a big batch of Chinese herbs--you know--for the winter flu season. ;) "Sorry about the smell, guys!" Mushrooms are a bit more discrete.

So I've got a green thumb on one hand and now I'll work towards a blue thumb on the other! :shy:
  • wildedibles likes this

#46 MycoGranny

MycoGranny

In Service to the Teacher

• Expired Member
  • 244 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 05:01 PM

Boy YOU have NOTHING to be embarrassed about - what a fabulous MIND you have! You probably have the equivalent of a bunch of degrees, only better. Right?!

You've inspired me to considered some San Pedro growing, too. ROFLMAO about the Chinese Herbs. Nothing Like it for Flu. Ha!

Thanks for joining MYCO CHICKS, too.

#47 MycoMistress

MycoMistress

Friscosa freak

• Free Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 07:20 PM

Thank you, minidonx! :hugs:

San Pedro is fun to grow!

#48 MycoMistress

MycoMistress

Friscosa freak

• Free Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 08:31 PM

The mycelium in one of my containers is looking nice and fluffy. I took partially colonized Alder disks and placed them in a small clay pot that I had scrubbed out and soaked in a very mild bleach solution. After that I added fine Alder chips and placed the container inside what I call the hospital. One of my orchids hates the low humidity where I live so I keep it in a plastic box with living sphagnum moss. I figured the mycelium, the orchid, and the moss can have a symbiotic relationship in there!

The photos were taken after ten days of colonization. I cover the little pot loosely with aluminum foil when I'm not taking photos. I'm not sure how I'm going to get the mycelium out when the wood is fully colonized. It will probably stick to the clay. I thought I'd try clay since it retains moisture and blocks light but is breathable. I guess I'll worry about scraping the colonized wood out of there when the time comes.

This is fun! :)

Attached Thumbnails

• 101_0726Fluffymycelium small .jpg
  • 101_0731Orchidandmycelium small .jpg
  • 101_0718Fluffymyceliumsun small .jpg

#49 Mildew

Mildew

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 05:41 AM

Neat :amazed:

What genus of orchid is that if you dont mind me asking? Its quit atractive with the leave patern of a Paphiopedilum and monopodial growth like a Phalaenopsis.

#50 nightflyer

nightflyer

Far Journeys

• Expired Member
  • 466 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:56 AM

I'm not sure how I'm going to get the mycelium out when the wood is fully colonized. It will probably stick to the clay. I thought I'd try clay since it retains moisture and blocks light but is breathable. I guess I'll worry about scraping the colonized wood out of there when the time comes.

Proposal: Just let the chips in the clay pot
and spread a 2 cm casing layer (Cactus soil/Perlite mixture)
when the chips are fully colonized.

#51 mullugh

mullugh

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 08:45 AM

I love this thread!

#52 SisterMagpie

SisterMagpie

Street Shaman

• Expired Member
  • 239 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 09:08 AM

This is the most interesting thread I have seen in a long time. Mistress, you are indeed very lucky for such a wonderful organism to come to you and basically ask you to grow it. I am truly jealous. Mad props on the find though, and I am definitely shooting you some reputation for posting such a great thread. I hope your little wood lovers turn out amazing.

#53 MycoMistress

MycoMistress

Friscosa freak

• Free Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 10:57 AM

Mildew, it's a Paph micranthum x fairrieanum.

Nightflyer--thanks for the idea. Would it be possible to induce an out-of-season fruiting by doing this? I know I'd need to put the pot in a colder location, like back on the office floor with my houseplants. It's really colonizing fast in the "hospital" with that orchid. The sun hits the container early in the morning and heats it up in there.

Thank you, SisterMagpie and mullugh!

#54 nightflyer

nightflyer

Far Journeys

• Expired Member
  • 466 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 11:30 AM

Mildew, it's a Paph micranthum x fairrieanum.
Nightflyer--thanks for the idea. Would it be possible to induce an out-of-season fruiting by doing this? I know I'd need to put the pot in a colder location, like back on the office floor with my houseplants.

I think it's possible.
The Cyanofriscosa cultures of a friend of mine
fruited when temps were 75 F/day and 53 F/night.

I think the fluctuation of the temperature is important
to start the fruiting process. If necessary, give them
some cold nights in the fridge.

#55 MycoMistress

MycoMistress

Friscosa freak

• Free Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 08:03 PM

Temperatures similar to that are fairly easy to achieve where I live. They'll be a little cooler, but the temps will still swing over 20 degrees. I'll just try to mimic our September weather. :)

#56 MycoMistress

MycoMistress

Friscosa freak

• Free Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:45 PM

I was out of town for eight days. I worried the entire time about the Friscosa mycelium--if it would suffer from the lack of fresh air exchange, or in one case, dry out and die. But in the last several months I've noticed that the mycelium can dry out and revive when moistened. It all seemed fine when I got back.

The mycelium in the container with the orchid and Sphagnum Moss is doing great. Check out those rhizomorphs! I'll feed it a little more Alder, then put a thin layer of potting soil on top and drop the temperature to see if it will fruit.

I have another container of mycelium on Alder disks. I find it interesting that these Alder disks were initially contaminated by green and black molds (but no Trich). I don't see anything but Friscosa mycelium anymore. They are doing better than my other containers which have never had any noticable contamination. The container with the plants seems to be a bit more vigorous, but both seem healthy. The mycelium seems to like the oxygen provided by the orchid and the moss.

The last photo shows the houseplant container where the mushrooms fruited this fall. I put shredded Alder on the soil surface to feed the mycelium. It's rapidly consuming the wood. I cover the surface of the soil loosely with foil and remove it a few times a day so it can air out. I'll eventually remove the wood layer so the plant doesn't suffocate. But first I'll try to fruit it out of season.

I repotted the original houseplant a little while ago and included layers of Alder and Hickory. I took a peek under the soil layer today and could see the mycelium spreading vigorously. The soil surface develops a grey mold when I water the plant. This disappears when the soil surface dries.

Attached Thumbnails

• 101_1196CliviaMyc1 small .jpg
  • 101_1183Alderdisks1 small .jpg
  • 101_1177HospitalRhizomorphs small .jpg

• TastyBeverage likes this

#57 Buzztea

Buzztea

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 146 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 10:23 AM

holy shit that mycellium looks so good :)

remember to eat them and print them..tha tis one hardy strain and it wants you to eat them ;)

#58 ethnobotanica

ethnobotanica

Botanical-manical

• Expired Member
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 10:45 AM

Mental Rhizo's on that 1st pic, almost like they are forming "leaves"!!:)

#59 nightflyer

nightflyer

Far Journeys

• Expired Member
  • 466 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 11:08 AM

That houseplant container looks great! :amazed:

You have a very interesting experiment going on! :thumbup:

#60 MycoMistress

MycoMistress

Friscosa freak

• Free Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 04:49 PM

More photos...

The first one is of two of the stem butts from this year's fruiting. Yesterday I put a thin layer of Alder chips over the myceliated areas. What I've noticed about cardboard spawn is if you leave the mycelium on cardboard for too long without feeding it anything else, it loses vigor.

The next photo is of the beginning of another clay container of mycelium. It seems to like clay so much I started another one, layering colonized Alder discs and pasteurized chips. This time the container is a little bigger. For now it's staying in a well-washed milk jug until I purchase a larger plastic container.

The last two are of the very happy and rapidly-growing mycelium in the container with the orchid and sphagnum moss. I hope people don't mind some repetition--it's so pretty! :loveeyes:

Attached Thumbnails

• 101_1213Hospitalclay1rhiz small .jpg
  • 101_1214Hospitalclayrhiz small .jpg
  • 101_1212Claycontainer small .jpg
  • 101_1211Cardboardmyc small .jpg

• Scroto Baggins likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!