Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Drying Bacardi 151 for Psilo Extraction?

151 bacardi drying extraction psilo

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

Grindin'

• Editorial Moderator
  • 5,025 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 04:25 PM

I remember reading something similar to this regarding iso alky, and my recent feet-wetting with DMT extraction brought me to wonder about this:

What if someone were to use epsom salts, microwaved for 5 minutes, to remove water content from Bacardi 151? The salts would then be filtered out of the alcohol, leaving a higher-proof alcohol more suitable for psilo extraction...

I can't get everclear in my state. What do you think?

#2 copelandiaKidd

copelandiaKidd

8IIIIIIIIIIIIID~~

• Free Member
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 04:33 PM

it might work, im not versed in alcohols though!!

#3 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• Expired Member
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:37 PM

I've read lots of talk about doing this, but never heard from anyone actually
doing it...

Seems to me you'd be better off getting a friend to send some to you, or order some
online (will they send to your state? I wonder....)

:)

soliver

#4 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

Grindin'

• Editorial Moderator
  • 5,025 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 11:19 PM

^^^^

Sounds like it's time for an experiment.

Apparently having it shipped to me is an option, but it looks like the cost of shipping is almost as much as the bottle itself!

Sooo... what's a good way to tell if it works? Just by taste? How readily flammable it is? How quickly it burns my eyebrows off checking flammability? :eusa_doh:

#5 Mushroom Kingdom

Mushroom Kingdom

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 185 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 12:48 AM

I remember reading something similar to this regarding iso alky, and my recent feet-wetting with DMT extraction brought me to wonder about this:

What if someone were to use epsom salts, microwaved for 5 minutes, to remove water content from Bacardi 151? The salts would then be filtered out of the alcohol, leaving a higher-proof alcohol more suitable for psilo extraction...

I can't get everclear in my state. What do you think?

Sorry man, I work in a chem lab and ethanol evaporates at 78.4 deg C (which is about 173 deg. F). If you heat this at all, you're gonna make your alcohol evap out, leaving you with just a ton of water. I'm not quite sure what the epsom salt is supposed to do.. absorb the water? But either way, if you heat the alcohol all you're gonna do is evap it out of the 151. NOW... if you want to do this properly, you can set up a distilation with the 151, and heat it to exactly 78.4 deg C and then everything collected off of that should be pure ethanol :) if you want more info on how to do this. PM me. Have you ever hear of goldgrain? its the same as everclear... try looking for that??

^^^^

Sounds like it's time for an experiment.

Apparently having it shipped to me is an option, but it looks like the cost of shipping is almost as much as the bottle itself!

Sooo... what's a good way to tell if it works? Just by taste? How readily flammable it is? How quickly it burns my eyebrows off checking flammability? :eusa_doh:

yah dude, pure ethanol tastes like shit. I took a shot of goldengrain once and I could have blown flames. pure ethanol evaps VERY quickly, has a strong alcohol smell and is HIGHLY FLAMMABLE!!!! You can heat it electrically, and be fine, but anything with sparks or a flame will cause you problems.

I hope this info helps, if you have any more questions hit me up!

Edited by Beast, 07 November 2009 - 04:20 PM.

#6 greenmeanie

greenmeanie

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 233 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 01:25 AM

OP didn't suggest heating the bacardi, but drying it with epsom salts.

i would suggest using clear vodka instead of bacardi (cheaper, less dissolved sugar and flavorings)
and dry your MgSO4*7H2O in an oven for 15 minutes at 350F. let cool in closed oven before adding to vodka
it should pull H2O out of the vodka; filter and use as high proof ethanol.
you can determine your proof by taking the mass of exactly 1ml of the result and comparing it to a chart. pure water is 1g/ml, pure ethanol 0.789g/ml

#7 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

Grindin'

• Editorial Moderator
  • 5,025 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 01:49 AM

greenmeanie, now THAT's the answer I was looking for. And that's exactly what I was getting at. Now I just need a scale that can measure 1/1000 g. :)

#8 Mushroom Kingdom

Mushroom Kingdom

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 185 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 01:54 AM

OP didn't suggest heating the bacardi, but drying it with epsom salts.

i would suggest using clear vodka instead of bacardi (cheaper, less dissolved sugar and flavorings)
and dry your MgSO4*7H2O in an oven for 15 minutes at 350F. let cool in closed oven before adding to vodka
it should pull H2O out of the vodka; filter and use as high proof ethanol.
you can determine your proof by taking the mass of exactly 1ml of the result and comparing it to a chart. pure water is 1g/ml, pure ethanol 0.789g/ml

even still i'm not quite sure this will work.... it is worth a try, but it might easier to just distill it. also, isn't epsom salt water soluble? Since water is soluble in ethanol, wont the epsom salt be soluble in ethanol too? Just something to think about. As far as i know swallowing epsom salt is a kind of laxitive (i'm not sure about the dose needed for this side effect, but...)... I guess give it a shot. Just make sure a toilet is near when you try it :) jk

#9 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

Grindin'

• Editorial Moderator
  • 5,025 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 12:17 PM

LOL I'll keep the TP handy... as for solubility, you would know better than me, I guess. So what about your distillation method? Is there a way to do this safely in my kitchen (apartment)?
I may just end up using the Bacardi straight up if epsom salt just dissolves in the alcohol... it wont be as good as Everclear, but I hear that in this hobby we can afford to be a little wasteful. :)

OK I just found this on a body building website. The credit goes to a "Dr. D" of Anabolicminds(dot)com:

Incase you wanted to make your own 200 Proof grain alcohol, here you go. These are directions on how to "dry" 750ml of "wet" 151 proof alcohol (either Baccardi or EverClear):
If you want to use "wet" alcohol, you just have to dry it out first. Get a desiccant like MgSO4 (common epsom salt). Dry it at 400'F for at least 4-6 hours and put it in a few coffee filters. Then slowly pour your alcohol over it while it's in a funnel. The salts catch the water and the dehydrated alcohol runs through. It's a sinch.
750ml of 151pf alcohol (75.5%) will yield 566.3ml of absolute, dehydrated alcohol (200pf). That means 183.7ml H2O must be removed. Each mole of MgSO4 can hold 7 moles of water, which corresponds to slightly over it's molecular weight or 105% it's weight in water (assuming it is totally dry) so roughly 175g of dried salts. I'd use about 300g though because it makes it much easier when you don't have to achieve 100% efficiency, that would get slow toward the end. You have to make a drying tube like I instructed you (a big funnel) and pour the alcohol in 2 equal portions over ~150g of salt each. Unless you have an enormous funnel, I'd just do 100ml alcohol at a time and then recharge the system with new filters and salt before the next round. The surface of the salts will get hard as it collects water. Occasionally you may need to break up the salts and mix them around in the funnel (about 4 coffee filters being used). Just don't puncture the paper when you do this.

Edited by Beast, 07 November 2009 - 04:21 PM.

#10 Thre365ive

Thre365ive

Alchemycologist

• Free Member
  • 885 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 12:33 PM

Personally, I would dry my MgSO4 in the oven, then add a shitload to a bottle of Everclear (they make 151 Everclear, get that instead of Bacardi) wait 20 minutes or so then filter it out. I know it definitely works for IPA.

#11 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

Grindin'

• Editorial Moderator
  • 5,025 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 12:41 PM

^^^

When I first heard of this method, it was used for drying IPA...

SO what I'll do tonight is get a fifth of Bacardi (or Everclear 151 if I can find it), use the epsom salts on half of it, and then compare the weights of equal volumes of booze, one volume salted, one volume not. According to greanmeanie's numbers, the volume of dried alcohol should weigh less...

#12 SilvrHairDevil

SilvrHairDevil

Gatekeeper

• 3,995 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 12:47 PM

This will work...

http://www.milehidis...ant_p/13030.htm

#13 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

Grindin'

• Editorial Moderator
  • 5,025 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 01:28 PM

Good tip, thanks.

#14 Shadowlord

Shadowlord

Shadowmancer.

• Editorial Moderator
  • 3,680 posts

Donator

Posted 06 November 2009 - 01:36 PM

The Baked epsom salts will pull the water out of the alcohol.

Sidestreet, I hope you take some Pics for us and I hope your extraction goes great.
You'll also have to give a trip report and let us know how things go.
I have troubles w/ eating mush sometimes and wonder if an extract would make it more friendly to me or not so I'd love to hear about your results and reactions.

Have a good one Sidestreet.

#15 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

Grindin'

• Editorial Moderator
  • 5,025 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 01:49 PM

Shadowlord, I'll be sure to get plenty of pics and do a nice writeup. I hear that extracts such as this are much easier on the body load, especially if you use some citric acid (This idea is from TVCasualty). I've tried soaking dried material in lime juice for twenty minutes before ingesting, and it seemed to work. I didn't yawn much at all, and there were no jitters or tenseness. This was with a low dose, mind you...

#16 Mushroom Kingdom

Mushroom Kingdom

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 185 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 04:16 PM

I'm very curious to see if this works! i hope it does, but if not PM me on how to properly distill alcohol.

#17 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

Grindin'

• Editorial Moderator
  • 5,025 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 04:45 PM

In the process now, I poured the alcohol through a funnel with a coffee filter full of baked epsom salts. The weight difference between two 100 mL volumes was negligible, barely a gram or two. I feel the difference should be at least several grams, right?

So now I'm baking more epsom salt, I'm going to let it soak in the booze for a good half-hour before straining, and we'll see what happens...

Pass or fail, I'll do a writeup with pics...

#18 Thre365ive

Thre365ive

Alchemycologist

• Free Member
  • 885 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 04:52 PM

Just make sure to throw a LOT of MgSO4 in there. You don't want it to just dissolve into the water/azeotrope portion.

#19 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

Grindin'

• Editorial Moderator
  • 5,025 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 04:52 PM

I'm using 150 g Epsom for half a fifth of bacardi. I'll break it up more thoroughly this time, too. I'm just afraid it's going to dissolve into the booze and go right through the filter... if this is the case, at least we'll know it doesn't werk...

#20 bugs

bugs

Erewhon

• VIP
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 05:06 PM

:thumbup:
Good thread. We can't get everclear here either, and though green dragon with Bacardi worked fine I've been wanting to try it with a higher proof. Also for hash oil, mush extraction etc.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!