51 replies to this topic

#1 Teonanacatl38

Teonanacatl38

Extradimentional Psilocypher

• OG VIP
  • 1,244 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 November 2009 - 02:51 PM

Lately Iv been finding Laughing Gyms (Gymnopilus Junonius) around my property out in the woods/country.

At first I wasn't 100% sure, so I held off but collected them just in case. Since then, I have found several other clusters of the same species.

My reluctance to try them was based on 4 factors...

1. All the Gyms that I have found were growing on the ground; not directly off of wood as is stated in many a field guide.

2. The 1st cluster I found, and a couple others, did not bruise blue at all. Many say that blue bruising is a must for an active Gym species, as well as an indicator of potency (the more blue)

3. Gyms are of weak potency.

4. Gyms are almost unbearibly bitter....mine were not.

Yesterday, I found several fresh clusters of Gyms, and after reading a post from another sight, found that Gym pins are more likely to show bluing when bruised.
Sure enough, I went outside and checked, and they did blue. Needless to say, I immediately harvested them and went to printing.
After the confirmation of this newest cluster, I decided that the time had come to try the dried caps and stems from my first find.
I ate a good amount as i heard that they were very weak, and you should eat @ least 10g. I don't think I even ate 10g, but...within 15 minutes, I felt that familiar ramping up of the roller coaster ride feeling.
After that Everything changed...3 dimensional Entity's/things/waves of patterns were flowing thought the room. It was filled, my house became changed, and I felt like I was In another dimention/parallel reality. It was truly Awe-some and beautiful. I felt it growing stronger, and I knew how to read the signals...It was time to go hunker down in the little time I had left and get into my bed...shit was about to go down.
about 3 minutes after i got into my bed, i felt like every pleasure sensation I was capable of was saturating me at 110%. I was a little nervous, cause it kept getting stronger and stronger. I peaked for 3 hours, and thought I was lost
This was just as powerful as a 10gr Ban Hua Thannon Cube trip I took a while ago (the farthest Iv gone.) The pleasure was so intense it was painful. My grip on common reality was annihilated as i got gang banged by the Universe.
I fucking got owned...and a part of me liked it.
I could go on and on, but im not sure how much to put out there.

My definition of that psychedelic experience = !!!!!Holy Rollin Mother Fucker Space-Monkey Be'Jasus Crap!!!!!!~ when you get there you'll understand lol.

Not to be under-estimated.

When dried, they are thick and meaty...so more weight (and thus potency) per single shroom.

So the bottom line for Gym hunters,

1. They don't have to be growing on wood, they can grow on the ground.

2. They don't have to bruise blue....and If they don't, they can still take you on a Cosmic Hellbender.

3. I didn't find anything weak about them. I didn't eat a pound, and I was their bitch for 10 hours.

4. The Gyms I found were not that bitter fresh, and were milder in taste than cubes when dried.

These guys are underrated, and Id like to learn how to cultivate them outdoors. They occur naturally all over the US, so im assuming that an outdoor bed has a good potential to spread.

I'm hooked:bow:

Here are a bunch of pics of the gyms that I've found. Hopefully they'll help you in your own hunts. Spore color should be Rusty Orange.....

There's some pics of bluing on the Gyms towards the end of the photos.

Attached Thumbnails

• GymJun1.jpg
  • GymJun2.jpg
  • GymJun4.jpg
  • GymJun3.jpg
  • GymJun6.jpg
  • GymJun7.jpg
  • GymJun5.jpg
  • GymJun8.jpg
  • GymJun9.jpg
  • GymJun14.jpg
  • GymJun12.jpg
  • GymJun11.jpg
  • PGym3.jpg
  • PGym2.jpg
  • PGym1.jpg
  • GymJun10.jpg
  • PGym5.jpg
  • PGym4.jpg
  • GymJun13.jpg
  • PGym6.jpg
  • PGym8.jpg
  • PGym7.jpg
  • BG3.jpg
  • BLG.jpg
  • BLGgills.jpg
  • PGym9.jpg
  • PGym10.jpg
  • BG2.jpg
  • BG1.jpg

• Doctor D, coorsmikey, stonedcoder and 3 others like this

#2 kocos

kocos

The PsYhead

• Expired Member
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 03:08 PM

I was sooo hoping you would post pictures, you have, and what amazing pictures they are! Cant wait to get these going in culture.
The blueing seems quite substantial on those last pics considering they are gyms imo!
  • Amanita Versicula likes this

#3 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,813 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 November 2009 - 03:10 PM

Sounds like a crazy ride man, I can relate with not knowing what you're getting yourself into with an exotic species :meditate:

If you have some of the stem butts still you should try making a few cardboard clones! If you can get the cardboard clones to take, it probably wouldn't be that hard to establish some tubs outdoor over time. I noticed wood pieces lying on the ground around most of your clusters, what types of trees did you find them around?

#4 ashroom

ashroom

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 212 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 03:19 PM

just curious, did you find them on east coast? Se or Ne?

#5 Alasdair

Alasdair

Aumbry Shaman

• Expired Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 03:27 PM

Dude thats an awesome find. Did you make any clones? those are pretty i would want to see how they grow out in the lab

#6 Teonanacatl38

Teonanacatl38

• OG VIP
  • 1,244 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 November 2009 - 03:51 PM

Kocos- Right on man :rasta: Not a prob. I cant wait to see how you do with 'em! That bluing was definitely exciting:headbang:

kcmoxtractor- No joke man...I was fuckin' lit up like a christmas tree. Unfortunately, Im probably going to have to go away for a while:eusa_booh, and wont get to experiment with the cardboard tek...although I definitely will the first chance i get:reb: There are Poplar, Oak, Maple, and some other tree with fern like leaves....ash maybe? Non of them were growing on visable wood, and some I even found In my neighbors cow pasture (which unfortunatly isn't a home to cubes.)

Ashroom- East Coast...SE, mid way.

Alasdair- Totally man! I was so stoked when I found them :amazed: I havn't done any cloning, but I have made some prints for the future...when i learn to grow these out. Id love to see someone qualified grow these fellows out and then teach me how to do it to :teeth:

#7 ashroom

ashroom

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 212 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 03:59 PM

cool i'll be looking out for them!

#8 buteo

buteo

Imbicilzzzz

• OG VIP
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 04:09 PM

they are fairly easy to grow...i got mine to go pretty easily. the myc is vey strong and can take on anything.

#9 Teonanacatl38

Teonanacatl38

• OG VIP
  • 1,244 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 November 2009 - 04:58 PM

Buteo-

Please...anything you can share would be super appreciated. Would you mind typing some direction, or do you know of a tek write-up I can read?

#10 buteo

buteo

Imbicilzzzz

• OG VIP
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 05:31 PM

i followed alot of mycots writeups. but basically what i did was a longshot. i recieved wild prints from a member on here...and for hahas i knocked up 1/4 pint jars of popcorn with the straight spore solution. within weeks i had strong myc that colonized all the jars. i than took woodchips i found outside and spawned them to the woodchips and allowed to colonise. after i got enough woodchips colonized i found a spot outside and covered with my sub mixture and they grew rather easily. i also had some of the myc growing on hydrated cardboard. i swear gyms are easier than cubes. ill paw through and see if i can find some of mycots threads for you...he gives a full breakdown with the large gym grows he does. im sure you would have no problem with them at all. btw those pix are amazing!

#11 Teonanacatl38

Teonanacatl38

• OG VIP
  • 1,244 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 November 2009 - 07:04 PM

Awesome Buteo!!! :headbang:

Thanks for the great info and the links if you find any. :bow:

Was your spore print sterile? ..... or did you just soak up a wild print in a syringe and the myc was strong enough it didn't matter when injected?

#12 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 November 2009 - 08:07 PM

nice!

#13 GypsyDancer

GypsyDancer

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 08:31 PM

Nice find! What a great adventure. The pics are fantastic as well. I will be on the look out!

#14 mycowarrier

mycowarrier

former blockhead

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,559 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 November 2009 - 08:36 PM

Hey Teo, i loved your trip report. More awesome than i expected. The Gyms are on the cutting edge and your bioassay will def peak the interest of many. :bow::bow:The less understood constiuents of the Gyms many very well be studied more now. thanx

#15 mydarling

mydarling

(actual mycologist)

• Expired Member
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 08:45 PM

The pleasure was so intense it was painful. My grip on common reality was annihilated as i got gang banged by the Universe.

:amazed: :amazed: :amazed: :amazed: :amazed: :amazed: :amazed: :amazed:

#16 buteo

buteo

Imbicilzzzz

• OG VIP
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 08:54 PM

idk how sterile it was...but it was a wild print. so anything is possible...but it took to the popcorn very quickly. i even had a contam problem in 1 of my trays and the gym myc covered it.

#17 buteo

buteo

Imbicilzzzz

• OG VIP
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 08:56 PM

heres 1 of the links i found:

http://mycotopia.net...s-spp-grow.html

#18 Leftover Salmon

Leftover Salmon

Bold as Love

• Expired Member
  • 490 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 09:11 PM

Great Write up and pictographs Teonanacatl.. It has definitely got my interest.

#19 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,346 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 November 2009 - 09:31 PM

I'd LOVE to know the basic parameters you used for ID.... what characteristics made
you certain you had the correct mushroom? I've found shrooms I thought were Gyms,
but, like you said, they weren't growing on wood... I'd really like to get invested in this
species the next time I find some - any hints beyond the Audobon field guide?

Thanks, sweet pics / post! - you ARE a brave soul for eating those bad boys!

:)

soliver

#20 Teonanacatl38

Teonanacatl38

• OG VIP
  • 1,244 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 November 2009 - 10:00 PM

Mycowarrier- You pay me a high compliment man :eusa_shif Thanks for all the support. I could only hope that people would dive head first into these guys...I'm sure that there's a lot of ground to be covered, and it would please me to no end to see more research on them. They seem to be hardy colonizing magics, that can be grown all over the US with the potential to become localized with just a little help. Moreover, they dont look like anything possibly suspicious, and could easily fly under the radar. Well worth it. Thanks again man:bow:

MyDarling- Oh ya....it was powerful. The ultimate exo-orgasm. :flamer:

Buteo- Your the shit man :bow: I appreciate all your help and advice so much. Im definitely gonna have these things breeding like rabbits and taking over the property:headbang:

Soliver- I too have the the Audibon Field Guide. I read their description, and familiarized myself with some photos of them from google images. The spore print color was crucial for me....The fact that they measured up with the pictures I saw, description I read, and def the spore print color made me almost positive. :weedpoke:
After I had reached that point, i researched possible look-a-likes. All of the possible look-a-likes had different spore print colors, and didnt measure up to 1 or more visual ques.
I realize that one species may look slightly different in different environments (think cubes =Ban Hua Thannon compared to Blue Meanie)
I just decided to go out on a limb, as it walked like a duck, talked like a duck, swam like a duck, but had a different color for its tail feathers :pirate:

• nightflyer and Amanita Versicula like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!