23 replies to this topic

#1 rocketman

rocketman

Mycotopiate

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,602 posts

Donator

Posted 08 November 2009 - 06:45 PM

But the skunks that inhabit an old oak in my yard are getting out of hand. It was cute at first seeing the little one hiding behind a small flower like nobody could see him. I have maintained the stance that they were here first and mans encroachment, including my own caused them to cling to a small section of woods on my property. I figured live and let live.

But now after the 3rd time having to bathe my dog at 2am, and my kid getting chased into the garage the other night, its time to end them.

My question is this: how long will the skunk's smell be present after shooting him? I have to keep my dog away from them afterwards as he loves to roll in dead animals, so moving them asap is what I need to do. What time frame are we talking about?

#2 libertaire

libertaire

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 94 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 06:53 PM

Have you considered these evictive measures:

"If you really want to evict the skunk, first make sure that is not winter or that they have litter. For evicting them, first take measures to discourage them from sticking around. These include removing garbage and pet food left out at night and eliminating convenient denning sites such as wood and rock piles, elevated sheds, openings under concrete slabs and porches and access to crawl spaces under houses. You may however want an alternative den somewhere not too far so the skunk moves initially there.
Then try repacking the hole the skunk is using with leaves or other material to see if it will get the message and move elsewhere. Do not fill up the hole with heavy things or materials and don't poke inside the den or use aggression, otherwise, beside leaving the skunk to starve, you will also get the so feared sprayed odor impregnated in your place for ages.

If the previous measures fail, place ammonia-soaked rags near or inside the burrow to one side so that the skunk has to pass them to get in and out. Make sure the skunk is not close by before taking either of these measures.

Never close a den the first day you think it is empty, rather cover with leaves to check if the skunk is still using it, otherwise you may trap it inside and the feared odor will stay as a reminder for weeks.

Some people use mothballs spreading some of these in the area. Mothballs work but there is a risk for pets and children.
If and only if all measures fail, place a one-way door at the place where the skunk leaves his den, he will come out but not be able to come in. This is however a last resource as may backfire to a trapped skunk (odor defense!) or other undesired outcomes.

The local humane society, will provide wire "spring traps" for free or a nominal rental fee. It is a small cage, with a spring loaded door. You place food at one end, the skunk walks inside the trap, and the door springs shut. Now you can call the humane society to pick it up or released it in the wild.

In the case of wild animals, it is always best to allow them to get away on their own, they know best where to go and how to survive. Sometimes to trap them, even if releasing them later, will only put their lives at risk in many ways."

I don't know the answer to your questions, but I wish you luck.

#3 Beast

Beast

That's Mr. Beast to you..

• Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 06:54 PM

Have you considered trapping and relocating? Won't smell any worse. In fact it might smell less, get it in the trap, cover the trap, it'll have no reason to squirt, and the only thing that gets squirted is the trap and the tarp you cover the trap with.

If you shoot it, I think if you shoot it in the head it won't have a chance to squirt, though it might just release by default like dead people poo. If you don't get it in the right spot it'll definitely empty it's stink sacks, like all the way, not any half ass spray like what your dog gets. The smell will linger for a day or three depending on weather and perhaps sun.

Skunks sure are cute lil fellers.

#4 eastwood

eastwood

Dragon Bait

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,612 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 November 2009 - 06:56 PM

No need to Kill it IMO .Get you a trap,bait it up and you will catch it.

Attached Thumbnails

• skunk2.jpg
  • skunk3.jpg
  • skunk1.jpg

#5 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 07:00 PM

the smell can linger for days even in the air,
one of those fuggers gassed my back porch about a week back
and we smelled it days later.
look at killing as speeding up time,
he'll die anyway so might as well be today.

#6 Mushrooms201

Mushrooms201

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 561 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 07:52 PM

From my experience is the shot is place in the head and the animal was not aware of its impending death you can often bag them and remove them from the area before to much smell is noticed. If it dies slowly, scared, or gets blown apart by a shotgun then you have a much bigger problem.

Eviction them would be a nice way to go but done know how to do it.... Poisons might also be a good alternative but couldn't recommend one.

#7 growurown

growurown

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 209 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 05:47 PM

Few days but if its close to the house or sprays the house it seeps in and will smell for longer then the area outside.

Ive caught two of them in the live trap in the past couple weeks, and the whole act like ur not gonna hurt them thing doesnt work atleast not for me.

If you shoot them in the head they might not spray. So far its been 50 percent but i used a pellet gun. a 12gauge would prolly get the job done before they know whats up.

If you see them during the day and they look fucked up, dirty, stumbling, aggressive then it might be rabbid. if so take care of that asap.

#8 stickyscissors

stickyscissors

Humble Student

• Free Member
  • 395 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 07:09 PM

Yes, skunks are nocturnal. So, as stated above, if you see them during the day and they seem disoriented, confused, or agressive, or if they wobble around a bit and just lay down, kill it asap and then dispose of it.

Otherwise, use discretion to dispose of/relocate however you want.

My dad had some skunks under the raised deck in his shop. He drilled holes in the floor and funneled ammonia directly into the space. They got the message.

#9 rocketman

rocketman

Mycotopiate

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,602 posts

Donator

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:47 AM

I saw one of the two that live nearby walking down the middle of the road in broad daylight. His partner was lying a short distance away dead in the road.

I havent seen any of the family since then, so maybe the survivors took off for higher ground or got killed.

#10 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 06:36 PM

i found a 'coon acting oddly the other day,
shot it.
after examination i learned it was not rabid-
just starving and dehydrated
from an old fishing lure stuck in its' mouth.
sad.

#11 Jaspmf

Jaspmf

Watchin em' grow

• Expired Member
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:22 PM

Last encounter I had with a skunk the old man shot it something like 9 times with the 12 gauge before it actually stopped moving.
Stunk the barn (it's favorite stomping grounds) up for at least a week.

Hopefully they've relocated :rasta:

#12 eastwood

eastwood

Dragon Bait

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,612 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 December 2009 - 11:52 PM

Good thing you didn't have to kill it RM.Remember,these animals were here before your house was even built.If you seen one walking near another that was dead it was probably because it was sad and missing his/her mate.

#13 Guest_beautypath_*

Guest_beautypath_*

Posted 05 December 2009 - 02:40 AM

I have a similar situation with pack rats on my property. For the first 3 years I let them have the run of the place, then a few wet winters and lots of seeds and insects caused a population explosion. Twice they ate through the wires of my truck which cost $300.00 each time. They then destroyed a $100 sleeping bag in the garage. Next were about $100 of garden hoses. At that point I declared war on pack rats and systematically dug out every nest and killed every rat in the nest. No more truck wires eaten and no more damage to other goods.

All the other animals are welcome here, but no pack rat will ever live on my property again.

#14 hungryjim

hungryjim

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 532 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 10:23 AM

Rocketman, concerning your skunks...I think, in the locality where I reside, it makes no difference who lived there first, you or the skunks:eusa_thin. However, if you are the legal owner of the property and want them vacated, you need to go down to Town Hall and file a Notice of Eviction. Once this Notice has been served to the party in question:eusa_naug, said party has up to 90 days to find elsewhere to live(even if they REFUSE :nana:to pay rent in this period!). After this time, they can be physically removed by LEOs.:johnny:..I think that's how it works. Otherwise, I'd shoot them. If using a gun on the property was out of the question, I'd turn to the Sinister Art of :puke:Poisoning!:evil:....hj

#15 StheNC

StheNC

Filthy Creep

• Expired Member
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 03:11 PM

I had skunks. They hung around for a few weeks stinking up the whole block, and then they vacated without saying a word to me. Ungrateful skunks. And to think I let them live under my shed for free.

#16 ggod

ggod

MycoAddict

• OG VIP
  • 676 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 04:16 PM

I might add that if trapping is your chosen option, cover the trap before you catch the skunk. According to the local humane society, this keeps them from spraying anyone from a distance. And if trapped and covered they will come and relocate the skunk to the outer edges of town so it can have a fair chance at survival. That way you don't have to risk injury to you or the skunk, and your vehicle doesn't get sprayed either.

ggod

#17 slartibartfast42

slartibartfast42

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 222 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 03:01 PM

Have to ask what the dogs are doing outside unattended at night, thats just asking for problems, Skunks are one of the least offensive creatures on the planet if you leave them in peace they will leave you alone. Just move slowly when you see them and have the kids do the same, I have accidentally cornered them on occasion and had them run away straight over my feet and have yet to get sprayed.

#18 Oblivion

Oblivion

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 03:02 AM

Not true. Skunks get into garbage and eat what they please. Dogs outdoors at night are self sufficient security systems with a prejudice against anyone thats not their master. Thats by design. Dogs werent bred for cuteness originally, but protection and security. His dog is just doing what we bred it to do, nothing more and certainly nothing less. A wild animal near my children is a ballsy creature to be sure, for my wrath is absolute and unforgiving. Children are hard to come by for some.

#19 Guest_TaterBoard_*

Guest_TaterBoard_*

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:17 AM

the way me and my dad killed em when i was little was to trap them and then slowly drag with a loooong rope and drop into a canal. oh yah, the trap had a big rock in it too. worked all but once...

#20 rocketman

rocketman

Mycotopiate

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,602 posts

Donator

Posted 06 January 2010 - 01:14 PM

Have to ask what the dogs are doing outside unattended at night, thats just asking for problems, Skunks are one of the least offensive creatures on the planet if you leave them in peace they will leave you alone. Just move slowly when you see them and have the kids do the same, I have accidentally cornered them on occasion and had them run away straight over my feet and have yet to get sprayed.

I let my single dog outside anytime he wants to go whether it be in the morning or midnight. This prevents me from finding carefully hidden piles of dogshit in my home. He pisses in my walk in shower so thats not as crucial to me. But you understand the concept I hope.

Upon opening my front door my dog was sprayed before he got down the steps to the sidewalk. You may call it unattended but here where i have 2acres and my dog is trained to use them I call it the only way to do it. If you think I let my dog run free youre wrong.

My dog is now so leary of skunks the neighbors black and white cat has been getting closer and closer on its recon missions silently taunting my dog. My dog starts toward the cat and realizes hey that looks like that jerkoff that sprayed me and stops.

The problem was solved by that cat btw. Kitty ran off the shunks apparantly.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!