11 replies to this topic

#1 zodd

zodd

walk towards the light

• Expired Member
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 04:10 PM

hi all

this is my take on how to make a do it your self spawn bag.

i basically constructed a half pint jar as i normally do. With Polly fill filter lid and silicone inoculation port (these are plastic polypropylene half pints)

then i sliced the bottom off the jar clean off, and tidied up any loos sharp bits with masking tape to prevent it from cutting the bagg.

next i got my polypropylene bag and taped it to the cannibalised half pint tub, so that it was air tight. added a liberal amount of tape so that it was ridged and sturdy

then finally i pressure cooked it for 1 hour. at what ever psi my pc goes up to i think it is 12 or something

credit and inspiration
hipps diy spawn bag tek

http://mycotopia.net...spawn-bags.html

this is the finished product
[attachment=958866:]

Edited by eatyualive, 15 November 2009 - 01:51 PM.
format user request

• dial8 likes this

#2 zodd

zodd

walk towards the light

• Expired Member
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 06:53 AM

some better picks of the ones i made today

#3 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 12:43 PM

Nice job! :thumbup:

You don't have any issues with the tape melting or getting soft in the PC?

#4 zodd

zodd

walk towards the light

• Expired Member
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 01:08 PM

thanks tasty im glad you like my idea

so far normal selo tape and masking tape have both survived a 1.5 hour pc run very well. my pc does only go up to 11 psi though.

ive made a few more of these today and im very happy with how easy gtg is with them. even inside my glove box. where space is limited.

while i got you here do you know how long a pc run i should do for a 1.5 kg substrait bag.

#5 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,647 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 November 2009 - 01:23 PM

Yeah i like that. Very nice. Mrs. bev asked the only question I had too.

It would make g2g very easy. What do you do? Kneed the bag and pour or do you still spoon out the colonized grain?

#6 blackout

blackout

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 302 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 01:31 PM

I have made similar ones to that, but I did not bother using any tape. I put the container into the bag, I then fold the bag over the lip of the container, then I put the lid on tight so it is snapped shut so it is sealed. Sort of the reverse of what Hippie does in that link -he folds the bag to the outside, either should work fine.

#7 zodd

zodd

walk towards the light

• Expired Member
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 01:40 PM

Yeah i like that. Very nice. Mrs. bev asked the only question I had too.

It would make g2g very easy. What do you do? Kneed the bag and pour or do you still spoon out the colonized grain?

i've spooned the first few but i may be up for giving pouring a try. less utensils to sterilise may be good for contamination rate thanks for the tip :)

im very new to grain to grain having only done it with a few half pints so far but the colonisation times are just too fast to not start practising with it.

I have made similar ones to that, but I did not bother using any tape. I put the container into the bag, I then fold the bag over the lip of the container, then I put the lid on tight so it is snapped shut so it is sealed. Sort of the reverse of what Hippie does in that link -he folds the bag to the outside, either should work fine.

that was my first thought too , but the jars i use would not close over the plastic, so i had to modify it further. do you tape the lid down because that was my second option should this one fail

#8 blackout

blackout

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 302 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 02:12 PM

but the jars i use would not close over the plastic, so i had to modify it further. do you tape the lid down because that was my second option should this one fail[/FONT][/COLOR]

The lid of my tubs have a synthetic filter disc siliconed in place. The wider diameter the lid the better, otherwise you will be trying to trap a lot of the bag around the edge. i.e. you would have to fold the bag over on itself which thickens the plastic and makes it harder for the lid to snap on.

You can get good plastic containers which lids that clamp down. I am using ones that icecream comes in, they are PP5 and the lids are quite hard to get on/off, so it has no trouble holding/trapping the bag. No tape used.

Another idea is to not cut off the bottom of your container, just put several small holes in it. This way there is no way for your grain to contact the filter disk. If you injected LC it could still fall through the holes, not no way for grain to get in the holes. I found filters are my biggest problem for contams, i.e. contams growing through the filter, so best not allow it ever contact the substrate.

#9 zodd

zodd

walk towards the light

• Expired Member
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 02:19 PM

no filter disc just polly fill stuffed breather hole. i inoculated yesterday so i i may go take a little peek.

#10 TheFreak

TheFreak

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 186 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 05:31 PM

how many quarts of grain to a bag? i been wanting to do this and i got a perfect time to do it now. im g2g some jars tomorrow might save a few jars to pour into bags. 1 pint to one bag should be good. just need to know how much grain for a bag. i got large filtered spawn bags.

#11 zodd

zodd

walk towards the light

• Expired Member
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 06:51 AM

that pic in the first post has 4 half pints of brf cake, the ones i did today have about 7-8 half pints. all were pc'd for 1.5 hours at roughly 11 psi (80 kpa.)

#12 zodd

zodd

walk towards the light

• Expired Member
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 09:55 AM

hay guys just thought i would show you all how this is going for me.

pic one is of a clone lc inoculation (pf tek) of the same blue oyster mushroom that is growing inside the (g2g) bag in pic two. both were inoculated at the same time.

[attachment=959583:150069.attach]

pretty fast growths on both but the g2g bag is storming ahead.

now ive got this element of my mycology tool belt sorted i can finally try my hand at shiitakes again, as my pasteurised substrait blocks were a huge failure.

just think what kind of mushroom mayhem im going to be getting up to next spring though with this under my belt.
im thinking wood lover's

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!