Fisana

- - - - -

Former military personnel?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_erebus_*

Guest_erebus_*

Posted 02 November 2003 - 07:32 AM

I am curious if there are any military/former military men and women at mycotopia.

Specifically, I am curious to know about drug testing. I am considering a position in the military but, being a chronic marijuana user, am expecting to have to quit for at least a month before recruitment. Are those who test positive for THC rejected from being able to join the military?

I want to move to the next step in my life, and want this to happen ASAP. If anyone knows about the policies of the military, please let me know.

I am definitly not looking forward to quitting and dealing with withdrawals (nausea, loss of interest in EVERYTHING, and most significant is the increased anxiety and bodily tension). I know its not as bad as heroin/cocaine/methamphetamine (or even in the same classification for that matter), but the withdrawal symptoms are still very emotionally painful and physically uncomfortable.

These symptoms are not fun stacked on top of my already existing mental condition.

Also, does anyone know about mental health history and the military? I was institutionalized several years ago for a major depressive episode (slashed wrists, involved with police).

I am rejected from the military, this will be quit e devistating as any chance of moving on in life is hopeless. I need to move from this town.

I hope someone can answer my questions, thanks a lot!

#2 Guest_disco_*

Guest_disco_*

Posted 02 November 2003 - 08:32 AM

I was in the Army for 4 years after school. A couple of things...First, yes they would reject you at your MEPS physical if you test positive for any of the 5 "panel drugs".

Another thing is that they have random drug tests ALOT! The good part is that they only test 10% of the urine submitted. So odds wise, you would be good

#3 Guest_scotsman_*

Guest_scotsman_*

Posted 02 November 2003 - 11:36 AM

You would need to quit it all
together if that's your chosen
career path

#4 Guest_mushroom_*

Guest_mushroom_*

Posted 02 November 2003 - 11:41 AM

I thought they are doing hair tests now. In the MJ stays in your hair until new is grown about 6 months later. i.e. you'd have to wait 6 months and not smoke... then shave your head.

I may be incorrect though.

#5 Guest_jack_*

Guest_jack_*

Posted 02 November 2003 - 11:45 AM

I'm not sure how it is now but when I joined the Navy in 1995 they were the only branch that didn't drug test you until you got to boot camp. When you got there thats the 1st thing they did, a week later people were dropping like flies because of failing the test. As far as your mental condition well all branches will ask you about it. You can of course lie about it, if your honest they may not let you in or if they do it will greatly affect which job you can get due to the fact they will not issue you a security clearance.

When I was in the Navy we did a lot of acid because they couldn't test for it. But rest assured you will have a drug test at least every 4-5 weeks, so you'd pretty much have to quit everything. The last thing you want is a "dishonorable discharge".

#6 Guest_erebus_*

Guest_erebus_*

Posted 02 November 2003 - 12:03 PM

Yeah I realize I would have to quit for good while in the military, not a problem there. My only issue is the initial drug test.

As for the hair test, I hope they don't because i would test positive for way more than THC...

I had my last bowl of nasty disgusting pipe residue this morning, may it be my last.

#7 Guest_hippie3_*

Guest_hippie3_*

Posted 02 November 2003 - 12:10 PM

friend,
i hope you re-consider.
the army's not going to solve your problems,
unless you count getting killed.
you'll be even more depressed, isolated,
far from home with people not much like you.
you won't like it,
and odds are, from the sound of it,
they won't much care for you either.
solve your problems step by step,
by taking real actions in your own life.
don't rely on some dramatic act to fix what is wrong,
that's not what the army is about.
you think you'll use them,
but instead they'll use you.
and you won't like what they'll want you to become.
like being told what to do ?
what to eat ?
when to eat ?
when to sleep ?
etc.
if you aren't the kind of guy who likes taking orders, why on earth would you join the army, esp. in the middle of a bloody protracted guerrilla war ?
because you know iraq is exactly where they're gonna send you,
kill or be killed.
is that your idea of a vacation from stress ?

oh yeah, in answer to your question,
i was in the navy,
but there was no drug testing then.

(Message edited by admin on November 02, 2003)

#8 farmerlucky03

farmerlucky03

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 01:44 PM

Hip is right.
The Military is a fun place but it doesn't sound like it would benefit you very much bro. And from the sound of it, mentally, It doesn't sound like you would last through boot camp for very long b/c they break you down then re-program you to their likings. Making you into their own robots of mass destruction. Or at least that is what the Marine Corps did to my Platoon. You forget about your family and friends and then when you graduate you see them and they see you and you and your family think, "who is that?"
As for the drug testing, yep they do it a lot. But for the hair sample it depends on the MOS that you have.
oooooorah
Sorry flash backs. Gotta love the GAS CHAMBER. I remember the last time I went into the chamber it didn't even effect me at all and now pepper spray barely effects me. I know when I got out I had my friends spray me and it didn't do sh*t.
Gotta love it

#9 Guest_philnweird_*

Guest_philnweird_*

Posted 02 November 2003 - 01:53 PM

I was discharged in 1980 and there was no drug testing during my enlistment. Hell, that's where I learned much of what I know now about usage and trafficking. I don't regret my decision to enlist even today. It was a very rewarding experience. I learned valuable skills, a sense of self discipline, met some great people, and saw a lot of the world. Hip does make some good points though. Most notably the conflict in Iraq and the need for one to solve problems and not avoid them. Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

#10 Guest_hippie3_*

Guest_hippie3_*

Posted 02 November 2003 - 05:28 PM

me and alot of my buddies did the same thing.
we'd get depressed, broke, in the dead of winter.
everything seemed a dead-end,
so we joined up.
big mistake.
boot camp is hell even for healthy well-adjusted individuals, it is no place for anyone suffering from depression.
they are not sympathetic,
they won't help you.
instead, they'll single you out as a bad example,
you'll be mocked, shunned, segregated and perhaps even imprisoned, court-martialed, discharged under less than honorable circumstances.
in wartime,
you can even get the death penalty for corwardice or desertion.
so consider your decision very carefully.
there's a guy now in the army, going thru hell because he fell apart after seeing an iraqi who'd been mangled pretty badly. he sought help for his anxiety, instead they are court-martialling him for cowardice in the face of the enemy.

#11 Guest_mycos_*

Guest_mycos_*

Posted 02 November 2003 - 05:48 PM

Erebus, don't put yourself on the line just so the Bush family can continue to monopolize the energy trade. Don't be cannon fodder for the Oil Oligarchy!(Oiligarchy)Man, I was right where you are a few years ago, just this underlying melancholy and dissatisfaction with everything. My humble advice to you is to take at least a month, clean your system out, abstain, and try to relax as much as you can. Look into financial aid, get into college, even if it's Community College. Find some new strength. Just don't join the fucking military!!! They will make you less than human. Do you have any idea what you'd eventually like to do in life, like for a career? Do your parents know about the turmoil you're having? I do know that you had to abort your psychoactive growing endeavor, which is probably for the better. I really can't suggest anything more, man. My best friend from High School is in the same boat as you, and wish I had a magic wand or something to snap him out of it.

#12 Guest_erebus_*

Guest_erebus_*

Posted 03 November 2003 - 04:14 AM

Thanks for the replies. You guys are right, told me something I didn't even consider. I disillusion myself into thinking that I could handle the social situation in another part of the world simply because it would be brand new. This is not the case for myself, as I have ALWAYS been the quiet type.

I heartfully thank you all for pointing that part out, I could have been humiliated and gotten even worse off than I am now.

I am in the process of appliying to community college, the military I considered a fallback position. This is the wrong way to look at it. If I try and apply for several colleges and don't get into any at all, then i may consider the military after some intense therapy. College sounds like a better plan to continue my life.

The military is appealing to me because it gives an opportunity to move out of state, I have lived in the same house my whole life... not very fun or healthy in the least. Also what is most appealing to me is the discipline, structure, etc. that I am desperately lacking in now, i would think the experience would build a lot of character. I want to prove to myself that I could do it, and march proud in a perfect uniform.

Anyway, enough on the bush's war machines. The one thing I would be happiest doing would be growing cannibis in a country where it is legal. I don't think there would be much of a problem getting rid of it as long as its good bud. Of course this is any stoners fantasy, so I don't consider it a realistic goal. Most of my experience in any field is computers, I have used them all my life, and every single day. I also enjoy growing botanicals, but don't know if I would be satisfied doing it for profession.

I am so impatient, I want change to come so very soon. Tired of how my life is going right now, its natural one would come up with outlandish ideas of how to better their lives. Thanks for opening my eyes a little.

#13 farmerlucky03

farmerlucky03

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 November 2003 - 08:09 AM

Hey bud,
I would really consider going after the school thought. The computer field is an ever changing field and will never be unemployed.
The money is there, all yopu have to do is set your mind to it. Hell that is what i'm doin now and its the best thing ever.
by the way I'm gonna bring up the moving out of country to Amsterdam or somewhere where I can enjoy my pass time freely to the mrs and see what she saysPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Erebus, Good luck and God speed with your deciscions

#14 Guest_moose_*

Guest_moose_*

Posted 03 November 2003 - 09:40 AM

Erebus, if you do decide to enlist, may I recommend the Air Force as a bit more genteel, both during training and during active duty. The AF is more technological, less mud wallowing. Plus, if you want to avoid getting shot, in the AF it is the officers that pull the trigger, and get shot in return, with the exception of security police and a few other obscure elisted jobs.

Most AF enlisted work aircraft support/maintenance. Lots of hi-tech computer-related jobs too.

Good luck in whatever you pursue. All the best!

Moose

#15 Guest_i_am_me_*

Guest_i_am_me_*

Posted 03 November 2003 - 11:45 AM

You sound like you are in the same boat I was in a while back. I lived in a small town where I had only a few friends, and they hated it there too. I wasn't going to college, I wasn't working anywhere that could make me happy, I wasn't happy living in the same town for 20 years, I wasn't happy not having a girlfriend, I wasn't happy feeling singled out because I was different. Well, I got a job and saved up about a thousand or so dollars...and moved to a big city. I love it. There are lots of people here that I get along with, I found a wonderful girlfriend, I got a job I like and I've gotten to do lots of things here that just weren't around in my small town. I would suggest finding somewhere you would like to move and saving up to move there. It really is that easy....

#16 Guest_jack_*

Guest_jack_*

Posted 03 November 2003 - 04:09 PM

I wouldn't suggest listening to anyone here in regards to what you should or shouldn't do with your life. Instead I would just see what they wrote about their experiences in the military and then make your own sound judgement. The military is definitely not for everyone. Ask 100 people about it and more than likely you'll get a 50/50 split on pros & cons. Personally I enjoyed my time in the Navy and met a lot of people who to this day I call friends. But thats not to say you would have the same experience. Whatever you do don't join on a whim, be sure of your decision whatever it might be.

#17 Guest_oletimer_*

Guest_oletimer_*

Posted 03 November 2003 - 04:24 PM

Erebus, the achievement of small goals is the best way to break this chain of self defeatism that you're going through. Get a bank account that you can't withdraw from an ATM and just add a small amount a week to that account. If you can discipline yourself enough to save 1 or 2 thousand dollars the world will open up to you like you could'nt imagine. Find a place where you know someone and move there and you can invent yourself in any fashion that you care to.
OleimerPosted Image

#18 ridder

ridder

Some Fun Guy

• Expired Member
  • 528 posts

Posted 03 November 2003 - 05:24 PM

yeah jack but when you were in the military was the warlord chieftan DUBYA in office willing to pay the price of your life to further his dominion? no matter what it WAS when you WERE in the military that isn't what it IS TODAY. And that should make anyone think twice before signing 4 years away; esp if they might be your last 4.

#19 Guest_erebus_*

Guest_erebus_*

Posted 03 November 2003 - 05:32 PM

Thanks guys.

The only thing that has kept me going through all this is hope. I don't know why, but I have been able to retain a healthy dosage of it. I think it may come from tripping. Seeing the world for how it is in a primitive sense can really give someone hope, to see the beauty of nature, the calming sound of rain, etc. This is the one little piece of hope I have been able to hold onto. I envision green rolling hills and clear blue skies, warm jungles, ancient aztec temples, etc.

There is a lot to be seen in the world which I have never had the pleasure to see, and one day I hope to be able to experience it. Experience happiness.

Not having a girlfriend right now is a bitter-sweet kinda thing. If I did have one, I would be easily effected by tiny miniscule things she does that would bother me. I.E. being a little too friendly with another guy, not even flirting. This really bothers me, and makes me feel like I am losing her. On the other hand obviously I want love and attention from a female figure, who wouldn't.

About the saving up cash, it is the reason I considered quitting smoking... too much money. Of course I gave in and bought a bag yesterday Posted Image. But I am going to be more responsible and not be high all day everyday, only when it would be nice.

1 or 2 thousand dollars really sounds achievable, though it will take a while.

Farmerlucky - Several years ago I would have told you for certain computers would be my field. After I stumbled upon the sweet leaf it expanded my interested considerably.

I am me - Thanks for sharing your story, it gave me a piece of hope knowing someone in my situation really can make it out of the downward spiral onto better places.

Jack Gordon - I am still considering the military if all else fails in the college situation. Given the right can-do attitude, I KNOW I could pass through boot-camp in any of the branches. It would take a LOT (< and I can't stress this enough) of effort on my part, but I know I could do it.

A lot of my current situation comes from my friends here and their actions, being stuck in this house, etc. Of course this doesn't mean terribly things wouldn't come my way in any other place, but there is a large cumulative effect in this town.

Ah, life.

#20 Guest_jack_*

Guest_jack_*

Posted 03 November 2003 - 06:49 PM

Ridder: No, but when I was in there was a tightwad, wife cheating fool who cut the budget so low that even though the slight liver condition I had got better and I was cleared to return to full active duty, I was discharged anyway. I wasn't the only one either, there was a line of sailors at sick call getting discharged left and right some for things like an abcessed tooth! My career ended early and my benefits were cut short because of it.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!