• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 saemc

saemc

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 186 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 07:57 PM

There was a dunk planned on some BRF cakes..The cakes weren't able to be brought out for around 48 hrs due to circumstances of the home where the cakes reside..One wondered of the outcome of these cakes reading they might die due to such an extended dunk time..
Today being around 24 hrs since the vermiculite roll,they seem to be doing excellent...
They did seem to be more saturated than usual when i took them out of tha water before the verm roll..Do you think there might be something to this longer dunk time?.Does anyone have any experience with this??.

#2 Getitosis

Getitosis

fallible learner

• Free Member
  • 422 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 09:05 PM

i usually dunk 4-8 hours.

longer dunks have always softened and broken my substrates.

if it holds together i wouldn't see it hurting.

no matter what substrate it's only going to hold so much water/moisture

#3 Decon

Decon

Myco Psycho

• Expired Member
  • 70 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 09:53 PM

Not to say its a good thing but I have heard of people going as long or longer than that and have no apparent adverse results.

I usually go 12-24 hours out of timing/schedule convenience. Doesn't seem to make much of a difference between those times.
  • bigjim123 likes this

#4 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 09:58 PM

i lose more cakes to contams when over-dunking
so let them dry out a bit awhile
  • StrangeMush likes this

#5 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 December 2009 - 04:58 AM

I find anywhere from 12-20 hours does the job.

#6 saemc

saemc

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 186 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 06:55 AM

They are not looking bad at all from the 48 hr dunk...
I just fucking wish i had a better place to work with and didn't have to wait 48hrs on a dunk..Now im dealing with more BS and need another place to do it in altogethor..I wish everyone else had my views on things.lol...

#7 dead_diver

dead_diver

Stoned Since '76

• OG VIP
  • 3,542 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:15 PM

People that know me will attest to the fact that I'm not the neatest person you will ever meet. In truth I'm a total slob and I make no apologies and have no intentions of changing. The inside of my house looks like a pawn shop after a tornado and the inside of the refrigerator is no exception. It really came as no big surprise the other day when I was digging around for a salami that I knew had to be in there somewhere and I found a gallon ziploc bag with six cakes in it that I had forgot about. Damn things were over 2 months old! At first I was just going to toss them in the compost heap but I decided to put them in a FC just for the heck of it. Out of 6 cakes, 2 of them were too waterlogged and mushy so I did toss those but the other four looked ok, maybe a bit on the blue and bruised side but still firm. To make a long story short they pinned in less than a week. There were only about 2-4 fruits per cake but most of them were much larger than the previous fruits from the same cakes. When I originally birthed those cakes the first flush was so-so but the second flush had a crazy number of fruits per cake, like 20-30 fruits per cake with the average cap size being .75" to 1" in diameter, not huge but a lot of them and a lot of wet weight too. The experimental flush only produced a few fruits per cake but the caps were almost 3" on a couple of them and that was on 1/2 pint PF cakes! So now I know that the cakes can survive several months dunked in the fridge. I'm thinking of replicating the experiment but for a shorter time like maybe a week or two to see if I can get the larger fruits but with more of them.
  • bigjim123, JESSEMELLENTINE and StrangeMush like this

#8 tryptaminer

tryptaminer

at this for life

• Expired Member
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:38 PM

holy shit! that's pretty insane. I believe it entirely. SWIM just realized a tray after 48 hours in dunk. the plan was to recrumble and fruit, but while crumbling, the inside of the tray was COMPLETELY dry. Recrumbled & rehydrated..

Pretty sick though, nothing really sucks more than trying to fruit a dry sub. Nice idea here. I think we all might underestimate how impermeable some cakes/ myc really can be.

#9 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:21 AM

What is the longest time that you have dunked a BRF cake on purpose or by accident? Did you get a flush still after?

#10 psycheholic

psycheholic

S-W-I-M Team

• OG VIP
  • 2,726 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:25 AM

24 hrs., i tried 12 hr. dunks a few times but it seemed like I got killer late flushes from the longer dunks. I also dunked after birth and after each flush, I know it is said that dunking isnt necessary after birth if the moisture was right in prepping the jars. I did it any way with great results. There towards the end of my PF runs, I was getting 5 sometimes 6 flushes

#11 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,629 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:31 AM

Probably 30 hours or so with no problems, but they were looking rough.

I always dunk after birthing as well... the moisture in the jars had about 2 weeks to evaporate through the innoc holes. Why not let those babies have as much water as they can hold just before fruiting?

#12 dead_diver

dead_diver

Stoned Since '76

• OG VIP
  • 3,542 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:20 AM

About 3 months and probably a little longer. I once forgot some cakes I had dunking in a gallon ziploc bag in the back of my refrigerator. I found them about 3 months later when I was cleaning out the fridge. They fruited no problem and actually had a very good flush. I have a thread about it here somewhere.

#13 MycoDani

MycoDani

Myco Chick

• Site Administrator
  • 9,862 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:13 PM

Overnight or 24 hours without a doubt. I have been lazy like that sometimes and my cakes were fine. Phew...

#14 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:47 PM

Well due to unforeseen circumstances the current cakes were dunked for a week. If dead diver got fruits after a 3 month dunk there still may be hope. Unfortunately neglect will continue so they are on their own.

#15 rasbilly

rasbilly

Evolutionist

• Expired Member
  • 159 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:37 PM

36 hours no problemo.

#16 Doctor D

Doctor D

(Not a real doctor)

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,258 posts

Donator

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:51 AM

48 hours. Last time I did this, they were fine. Other times, they ended up smelling rank and I had to toss them out. It's definitely pushing it.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!