Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

shumvbox trials. refining my shumvbox tec (log)

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 zodd

zodd

walk towards the light

• Expired Member
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 09:00 AM

Got my bionair through the post yesterday, and I just had to try out Eatualives shumvbox tek. failing that i will be making a positive air pressure box but I doubt it will come to that
ive decided to do some tests to realy put this through its paces before i set my mind o the shumvbox
For this first experiment im going to pour agar plates as quick and as efficiently as possible. Then next I will leave the agar tubs out in the shuvbox for prolonged durations of time just to really test it out. I will document it all in this post
The agar has been prepared in the usual fashion
mix ingredients in a glass container with air filter hole
sterilise for 45 minuets.
Allow to cool before touch
Give swirl to make sure all agar and the mea is evenly distributed
The 1/8 pint sterile, plastic, tubs were sterilised by wrapping the tubs; and lids separately in tin foil, then pressure cooking for 30 mins. Saves time and money having to order in petri dishes. I got 500 of these things for £50. not bad if you ask me.
[attachment=960793:]
All of this will be done in as sterile as environment as possible.
I will alco cleaned the unit before use
I will not be wearing gloves for these as they haven arrived yet, but shall alco clean my arms right up to the elbow
I shall oust the area around and inside every time I take my hands out. And I shall alco clean any thing that has been exposed to the out side environment.
First ones are done but I may have to redo this first test as one of the lids on one of the tubs was not clipped down properly so that may alter my results. Well see any way
[attachment=960794:]
  • Scroto Baggins likes this

#2 Sideshow

Sideshow

Screaming Meatball

• Expired Member
  • 397 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 12:34 PM

Pullin' up me chair for this.....

#3 zodd

zodd

walk towards the light

• Expired Member
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 07:15 PM

nice to have you side show, thanks for joining me bro.

i know i will have success at some point, the aim of the thread is finding what works and dont work.im
i know it was a worthwhile investment buying this thing, as if eatualive was willing to part with a working flow hood for the shumvbox. then its pretty much certain that with a bit of work ill be on to a winner with it too.
i just loved how compact and stealthy it is. its got a cool name too SHUMVBOX it rolls of the tong nicely

any whoo on to my question

im not sure how long i would need to leave non inoculated plates before i can call the test a success. any ideas?

#4 P4ulada

P4ulada

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 945 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 07:38 PM

Nice bro, I´d love to see it working ^^
Seems nice!

#5 Alchemist

Alchemist

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 120 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 07:45 PM

I will let a agar guru chime in on that, But im with sidestreet on this one.

I would love to see this work, cause agar looks to hard to work with in a GB. I would feel a lot more comfortable attempting agar with one.

#6 Sideshow

Sideshow

Screaming Meatball

• Expired Member
  • 397 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 08:05 PM

I think if you can get 60 - 90 seconds of exposure on the agar plates without contamination, that would be golden. 45 seconds would be acceptable. Thats just my .02.

#7 Sideshow

Sideshow

Screaming Meatball

• Expired Member
  • 397 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 08:08 PM

BTW, I love the containers you are using as plates. You can wipe those out with iso alcohol, peroxide, or dilluted bleach to sterilize if you don't feel like firing up the pc.

#8 zodd

zodd

walk towards the light

• Expired Member
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 04:46 PM

BTW, I love the containers you are using as plates. You can wipe those out with iso alcohol, peroxide, or dilluted bleach to sterilize if you don't feel like firing up the pc.

good to know. ill keep that in mind man thanks :thumbup:

it looks like the shumvbox will passed test 1
day 4 and all jars are doing fine. mold/bacteria would have shown its ugly self by now i think. but ill give it a week just week just to be certain

next im going to pour five plates in much the same way but im going to expose each one to 30 seconds of shumvbox treated atmosphere.

#9 Sideshow

Sideshow

Screaming Meatball

• Expired Member
  • 397 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 05:52 PM

Thanks for taking the time and initiatve to do this experiment, looks good so far.

#10 Alchemist

Alchemist

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 120 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 06:11 PM

I see your using a black bag,
is it difficult to work inside it?

A video of this in use would be sick!:headbang:

#11 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,810 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:12 PM

Nice, I cant wait to see how this goes for you!

When you say its day four and your jars are ok, what method did you use to inoculate those jars?

#12 copelandiaKidd

copelandiaKidd

I am

• Free Member
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 09:23 PM

best of luck to ya!!!!!

#13 shroom57

shroom57

Papa Smurf

• Expired Member
  • 798 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 09:35 PM

Need a semi-clear bag on there man...how do you see what's going on?

#14 Scribbles

Scribbles

Mad Scientist

• Expired Member
  • 236 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 02:26 AM

:nunchuck: clearly. :P

#15 Deus Irae

Deus Irae

The kindly bivalve

• Expired Member
  • 455 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 05:27 AM

Interesting....Looks like a excellent alternative to a flow hood.

Ever seen those inflatable glove boxes? They're a similar kind of idea (clean air, positive pressure), but they have the gloves attached to the bag.

#16 zodd

zodd

walk towards the light

• Expired Member
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 01:34 PM

I see your using a black bag,
is it difficult to work inside it?

A video of this in use would be sick!

Yes if only. don’t think I could get any one to hold the camera though, so I wont be able to do you one im afraid. cool idea though..

if you can show me how to make a you tube video i may consider it.

this thread is me documenting me getting my head round it because I was not sure how exactly to go about it. eatualive sent me to some good threads but I was still a bit unsure as to how to proceed. Hopefully this will help set my mind at ease and help others who may not be too sure weather a shumvbox box would be a good investment. Do you think it would be cool if I abbreviate the shumvbox into SVB.

Nice, I cant wait to see how this goes for you!

When you say its day four and your jars are ok, what method did you use to inoculate those jars?

Thanks man me too. The tubs haven’t been inoculated they’ve just been poured and now im waiting to see if anything grows on them ie contaminants. It’s a test of how well the shumvbox copes with sterile procedure. The next one is going to be the first real test, as I will be counting to 30 seconds after pouring each plate before shutting the lids on them. This will be a good indication of weather I haven’t wasted our wasted my money.

Need a semi-clear bag on there man...how do you see what's going on?

I cut a seeing hole in the bag. You cant see it from that angle in the pick above but I did it exactly like eatualive’s example in this thread. Mind you Clear bags would be better.

Interesting....Looks like a excellent alternative to a flow hood.

Ever seen those inflatable glove boxes? They're a similar kind of idea (clean air, positive pressure), but they have the gloves attached to the bag.

I hope so. If this works then that will save me a tone of cash in the long run. been drooling over a flow hood for a while now.

#17 zodd

zodd

walk towards the light

• Expired Member
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 12:54 PM

ok so things have been a bit crazy for me lately and im a bit of a lazy ass.

test 1 passed with flying colours. it got to two weeks with no noticeable contamination so i deemed it a success and inoculated them with a few cultures.

i will be doing all the prep tomorrow for the rest of the experiments so bare with me just a little longer on that. for now i had one tub spare from some cultures i was playing with so i thought i would do a tester test in preparation of the main test.

(Picture 1) has been exposed to exactly 20 seconds of shumvbox air and was handled with gloved sterile hands.

just in case any of you were wondering ive been working in my shumvbox for a while now and have had good results on all the grain to grain transfers ive attempted so

0 contamination on this batch (pic 2)

things are looking good so far

#18 Alchemist

Alchemist

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 120 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 02:45 PM

Zodd is that poly on that lid?

#19 zodd

zodd

walk towards the light

• Expired Member
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 04:49 PM

Zodd is that poly on that lid?

yep

#20 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 December 2009 - 12:24 AM

cool good progress so far.

some info taken from discussion in other areas. here is a response to some ppl having issues with teh shmuv.

turn off your ac when you do clean work. i turn it off 30 minutes prior to any clean work. ive done 5 years worth of 9er tek clones in a shmuvbox with maybe 1 possible contam. it was eq strain. and it actually just didn't germinate. other than that. if you do your work quick with good technique. and don't touch any stem tissue or anything on the outside of the jar with your syringe. it works like a charm.

you also want to pre sterilize everything in your pressure cooker like utensils. anything you put in that bag you want to wipe with alcohol. and did you wipe the filter prior to doing any work? clean it, wipe it down with alc. i then spray some lysol in the bag. let it air out for a few minutes prior to lighting anything or doing any work in it. anytime you take your hands out of that bag. make sure you wipe your arms, your hands, or put gloves on b4 placing them back in the bag. make your work clean, fast and you should have no issues. sounds like you need to straighten some things out on your end first. designate an area. a table works. buy yourself a plastic table cloth. lay that same cloth over your clean area. wipe it down with bleach wipes, rubbing alc. turn off your ac. wipe down all utensils. be super fucking anal about it. like one germ gets in there and your fucked. think of it that way. i just do it on a folding table from office depot. once your done with the clean work. fold it up and put it behind the couch or in the closet. fold up your table cloth. and only use it for clean work only. only use the filter for clean work only. put the filter up each and every time you use it. put it in a plastic gallon bag. i go through approximately 1 filter every 3 years with this setup. and i only use this filter for clean work. solely. it does not run but maybe 30 minutes total a week if that. recently i have not done any clean work besides g2g's in the shmuv bc it wasn't necessary. but g2g's work fine.

you need to take the time to get your transfer tek down quick. anytime you open a jar you want to close it asap.

anytime you transfer stem tissue you want to make sure it doesn't touch anything. sterilize your utensils with a bernzomatic torch prior to cutting tissue. use an alcohol wipe to rub on the utensil after you have sterilized it to allow it to cool prior to cutting your stem tissue. make sure when you open up the jar, nothing touches the lid or outside of the jar. keep it all inside the jar with the clean water and you should be fine. you can set your fruit in the shmuv for a long time. your main concern is once you open up the stem, to make the transfer and airtime minimal.

did you turn your hepa to the lowest setting when you did your work? thats a key point. very slow airflow. not heavy works great.

ive poured plates with no problems. but go the extra mile to make sure your not contaminating things by dirty hands.

more

actually take the filter out of where it sits. wipe that whole area with rubbing alc as well. i also spray a little lysol inside the area where the mechanism is. not a heavy dose of it. but enough to do the trick. i also wipe down the outside of the hepa filter itself. the plastic part. i don't wipe anything on that scrubber your talking about. but i do wipe down all plastic parts of the filter itself. as well as the housing that holds the filter and the black scrubber thing in. this area is wiped inside and out. then i wipe the outside of the whole unit in the entire area that will be going inside the bag with rubbing alc.

also remember. any jars your adding or anything into that bag. you need to wipe down with an alc wipe or bleach wipe prior to placing it in the bag. but it sounds like your doing things on the right track. try to minimize your use. ill often do max 2 clones at a time via 9er tek. i try to keep it minimal. it can be tight to work in so you want a little breathing room so you don't knock things over. just do one clone at a time until you get the proper tek down. then once you have it down it will be a piece of pie. for me this method actually has worked since the first time i tried it. but ive also had work with flow hoods and things like this prior to using one.

yeah i just mean, do it in an area that is draft free. not right under a house or apartment cooling vent. turn the ac off. then do what you said. sounds like your ousting away. thats a good thing.

i usually do the work right in front of the hand holes. any time i open something sterile i minimize airtime. yes, you don't want to open any contams inside it. that will push them everywhere.

make it easy. just wipe down everything that will touch the inside of that bag. that includes the area where the filter takes the air in. the part of the hepa unit that holds the filter in, the inside mechanism that sucks the air in and the part of the hepa unit that will have the bag taped over it. wipe it all down and you should be good.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!