Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

shumvbox trials. refining my shumvbox tec (log)

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 faceyneck

faceyneck

Mycophiliac

• Validating
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 06:04 AM

Wow, I didn't think I'd actually EVER post over here! Not that I don't completely love this site (because I do. So much great stuff!), but the Shroomery keeps me pretty busy. Actually, it was EatYu's posts and links that got me interested in Mycotopia, coincidentally!

Anyway, a lot of what is quoted up above has helped me perfect what minute problems I had with the Shmuvbox... although that is itself a misnomer, because it wasn't the shmuvbox's fault; it was my lack of sterile procedure. It's easy to make mistakes when you can't have ANY contams, you know ;) ? So, when it comes to pouring plates, and doing other sterile work, like inoculating substrate bags with grain spawn (yep, did that in the Shmuv! Works great!) it couldn't have performed better. I've had some problems with the 9er tek, and also some contams while working with open plates, but those are in the past, now, since I've figured out what was wrong with MY sterile technique, not the sterile environment itself that was the problem... if that makes sense.

So, yeah, to zodd; thanks a bunch for doing this! People seem to have a larger interest in the Shmuvbox over here. Who knows; I might even post some threads over here!

Love what I've seen so far. Keep up the good work. :thumbup:

#22 zodd

zodd

walk towards the light

• Expired Member
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 02:28 PM

cool good progress so far.

some info taken from discussion in other areas. here is a response to some ppl having issues with teh shmuv.

more

thanks eat that was exactly what ive been looking for. for the rest of this test i will be cleaning the shomvbox with alcohol from now on. im also not going to load it up when doing my g2g's. it does get a bit crowded in there.

Wow, I didn't think I'd actually EVER post over here! Not that I don't completely love this site (because I do. So much great stuff!), but the Shroomery keeps me pretty busy. Actually, it was EatYu's posts and links that got me interested in Mycotopia, coincidentally!

Anyway, a lot of what is quoted up above has helped me perfect what minute problems I had with the Shmuvbox... although that is itself a misnomer, because it wasn't the shmuvbox's fault; it was my lack of sterile procedure. It's easy to make mistakes when you can't have ANY contams, you know ? So, when it comes to pouring plates, and doing other sterile work, like inoculating substrate bags with grain spawn (yep, did that in the Shmuv! Works great!) it couldn't have performed better. I've had some problems with the 9er tek, and also some contams while working with open plates, but those are in the past, now, since I've figured out what was wrong with MY sterile technique, not the sterile environment itself that was the problem... if that makes sense.

So, yeah, to zodd; thanks a bunch for doing this! People seem to have a larger interest in the Shmuvbox over here. Who knows; I might even post some threads over here!

Love what I've seen so far. Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the support man would love to check out those post when you do them. you really should were a cool bunch over here

ok im going to do the rest of these tonight just need to prep the cooker pour some plates then im ready to go.

#23 zodd

zodd

walk towards the light

• Expired Member
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 12:14 PM

15 days on and the plate exposed to 20 seconds of shumvbox air is contaminant free.

[attachment=963607:]

which means that the shumvbox is to say the least a hell of a lot more sterile than my previous cardboard still air box. but that aint saying much so lets put it to the real test.

all of these were done following the same sterile procedure that i did with the 20 second plate. i cleaned the unit with alcohol before taping the bag on, i cleaned my hands with alcohol up to my elbows, and then after putting gloves on cleaned them with alcohol. After allowing the shumbox to be on for 30 mins to get any contaminants that were left to blow out, i alcohol cleaned the tubs ready to be opened and me to start the timer.
30s
[attachment=963604:]
40s
[attachment=963605:]
50s
[attachment=963606:]

they’ve been placed at room temperature in a clean place

ill up date with pics in a week or so.

#24 Alchemist

Alchemist

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 120 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 10:51 PM

Zodd im already sold
I will be picking one up 2morrow
from target for $35. I cant stand
the restrictions of a glove box so
I cant wait to try this out.

#25 big_dreams

big_dreams

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 128 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 11:22 PM

Ok, this looks great, but what are the details? Can't find the original tek.

#26 Alchemist

Alchemist

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 120 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 11:34 PM

Here's the link http://mycotopia.net/forums/photo-ga...-shmuvbox.html (A peek into the shmuvbox)

But seriously you should check out
all of eats user notes... Dude has
some great write up's.
http://mycotopia.net...note.php?u=5996

#27 Alchemist

Alchemist

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 120 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 01:04 AM

Zodd what is the poly for?

Is air exchange needed when
working with agar?

#28 zodd

zodd

walk towards the light

• Expired Member
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 06:31 PM

Zodd what is the poly for?

Is air exchange needed when
working with agar?

not sure realy

for me the polly is a bad habit that was carried forward from my old method of sterilising the agar in the tubs. if there is no hole then the agar will boil up and the lids will pop off.

also if i remember correctly i think people use parafilm as a rap for petri dishes so that there is still some gass exchange. will probably need confirmation on this before i can say for certain though.

#29 Alchemist

Alchemist

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 120 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 01:35 AM

Did you use to sterilize your plates
prepoured in those containers?
If so how, without melting them?

When I was out today I managed
to hit up target to see if they had
one in stock, and to my surprise they did! :headbang:
For some reason lately everything
I have to get is not in stock :mistrust:...

Needless to say I walked out of target
with a smile on my face and my shmuvbox in hand.:amazed:

#30 zb

zb

dabblin

• Expired Member
  • 169 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 11:08 PM

I decided to give the shmuvbox() a try,
Awesome innovation eatyu! :bow:
I'm very limited on space here so I decided to use my oven since i never ever use it, and its pretty clean.
for some reason I couldnt find good transparent trash bags so I got some of that plastic drop cloth and taped a bag together.
I used this to make my first syringes from print.
I nocc'ed up some test jars in it, and we'll see how that goes in a week or two.
overall, Super simple and relatively inexpensive idea.
I think I paid like 30 bucks for the Holmes hepa type air purifier
and a couple bucks in plastic sheets.

Attached Thumbnails

• printz.jpg
  • flow.jpg

#31 zodd

zodd

walk towards the light

• Expired Member
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 03:19 PM

Did you use to sterilize your plates
prepoured in those containers?
If so how, without melting them?

When I was out today I managed
to hit up target to see if they had
one in stock, and to my surprise they did!
For some reason lately everything
I have to get is not in stock ...

Needless to say I walked out of target
with a smile on my face and my shmuvbox in hand.

look for pp5 on all your plastics and you know there pressure cook able.

I'm very limited on space here so I decided to use my oven since i never ever use it, and its pretty clean.
for some reason I couldnt find good transparent trash bags so I got some of that plastic drop cloth and taped a bag together.
I nocc'ed up some test jars in it, and we'll see how that goes in a week or two.

cool stuff man.

i think it might be worth compiling a list of all the brands that have been successful. my bion air has far exceeded what i had ever dreamed. i cant get pictures yet as im bedd ridden for the next few days but all those tubs in the above post are still clean and free of any abnormalities.

im going to take this opportunity to deem the shumvbox a complete success and probably the single best investment ive made for mycology so far.

air filter = £50
bin bag = few pence
reliable space to do sterile work. = priceless

:P

#32 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:29 PM

I decided to give the shmuvbox() a try,
Awesome innovation eatyu! :bow:

Molestor at the nook invented it. not i...

Anyway, a lot of what is quoted up above has helped me perfect what minute problems I had with the Shmuvbox... although that is itself a misnomer, because it wasn't the shmuvbox's fault; it was my lack of sterile procedure. It's easy to make mistakes when you can't have ANY contams, you know ;) ? So, when it comes to pouring plates, and doing other sterile work, like inoculating substrate bags with grain spawn (yep, did that in the Shmuv! Works great!) it couldn't have performed better. I've had some problems with the 9er tek, and also some contams while working with open plates, but those are in the past, now, since I've figured out what was wrong with MY sterile technique, not the sterile environment itself that was the problem... if that makes sense.

Love what I've seen so far. Keep up the good work. :thumbup:

good to hear. yeah once i figured it all out, it was amazing. i just built a glovebox too and its too bulky and even though its giant. the space inside isn't that big. and its very constricting. dunno if ill even use it much. seems to be just as much work as a glove box. being i have to clean the glovebox multiple times if im doing a few things at once. with a shmuv you just toss a new clean bag on it everytime and its real quick.

#33 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,838 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 January 2010 - 11:23 PM

Just got a schmuv tonight, took my first stab ( :lol: ) at cloning also. I LOVE the schmuv, you can actually move around in it!

#34 zodd

zodd

walk towards the light

• Expired Member
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 07:19 PM

ok guys so ive recently been enlightened on to the impact caramelised sugars will have on agar and spore germination.

it seems that when you caramelise sugars you tern them into something completely different. which makes them non digestible for the mycelium. this means that spores wont germinate as well if at all on a media that is over cooked.

sadly im also pretty certain that i have over cooked all the plates that were exposed to 30 40 50 seconds of shumvb air in the test above. the 20 second one was fine though so the shumvbox has still proven its self to a degree and im sure it will a can still be said without doubt that it will come in handy. but i was hopeing to relive all doubt in my mind that it was worth the investment.

so that been said in a day or two im going to redo this whole experiment with fresh plates. other wise this hole thread is pointless and a waste of time. it seems like im making more and more mistakes now a days. but im learning so hay.

any way i have at least 6 plates done in the way ethnobotanica described to me and they look perfect. clear as day and without any weird floating sediments at the bottom.

so i will use them to do this experiment again tomorrow, then we shall finally see just what this shumvbox is capable of.

so far we know that that in the shumvbox an agar plate can be left open for 20s
we also know that caramelised agar can be left in there open for up to 50s.

so I think this was is not the bigg desaster Im making it out to be.

ill post results when i get them

#35 zodd

zodd

walk towards the light

• Expired Member
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 07:26 PM

this is an example for those that have not burnt the hell out of there agar like me.

Posted Image

#36 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,838 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 January 2010 - 07:30 PM

Thanks man! I'm making up my first plates tonight, and this is going to be a great help!

#37 ethnobotanica

ethnobotanica

Botanical-manical

• Expired Member
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 05:53 PM

any way i have at least 6 plates done in the way ethnobotanica described to me and they look perfect. clear as day and without any weird floating sediments at the bottom.

What way is that? My memory isn't so great.:o

#38 zodd

zodd

walk towards the light

• Expired Member
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 12:32 PM

What way is that? My memory isn't so great.:o

hay man

you said you dissolve the mix in a pan first instead of the pressure cooker. then you pour the desired amount into your vessels for sterilisation.

this was such a newbie mistake for me to make, but im sure it wont be my last.

thanks again for the tip, it really me out :rasta:

#39 zodd

zodd

walk towards the light

• Expired Member
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 06:05 PM

This novice mushroom growers final verdict on the shumvbox

After the caramelised agar revelation, I told you all that I was going to re do the last few plates using non-caramelised agar, so we could get a more definitive result on this test.

I used two plates of pda agar following hips recipe in the vaults. Both had 0 signs of the caramelised sugar sediments that I had seen on the last batches.

I exposed one plate to 40s and the other to 50.
Left them for 14 days in incubator (airing cupboard).

im pleased to announce that there’s not a contaminant in sight. They have both been inoculated with my first try at making a syringe

So in summary

Non caramelised Plate exposed to 20s of shumvbox air……. Contam free.

2x Caramelised Plates exposed to 30s of shumv air….contam free.

2x caramelised plates exposed to 40s of shumvb air… contam free

2x caramelised plates exposed to 50s of shumvb air… contam free

and finally

1x non caramelised plate exposed to 40s of shumv air….. contam free

1x non caramelised plate exposed to 50s of shumv air…. Contam free.

So I think its fair to say that my shumvbox kicks some serious contaminant ass, and was well worth its mony. I recommend it to any one who wants a flow hood, but is terrified at the price tag.

Note: my hepa has a built in ioniser which it claims helps it to pick up more spores. don’t know if it makes a difference but it may be useful.
  • flashmike and Thre365ive like this

#40 Thre365ive

Thre365ive

Alchemycologist

• Expired Member
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 09:22 PM

Great thread. I just recently got one of these myself, so this is a big help. +1.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!