Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Funniest mushroom 'misinformations' you've heard?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 danfromabove

danfromabove

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 04:04 PM

I know most of us here have heard things like this, so what are the funniest 'misinformations' you've gotten about magic mushrooms before? For me, I guess i always laughed when people in high school would talk about 'hydro' shrooms being the most potent, 'Just like hydro bud, right?' :eusa_eh:

What made me think of this was a guy I know who is a recovering heroin addict/sketchy dealer was recently telling me about how mushrooms are grown in 'huge rooms, where the wind blows spores all through the room onto the dirt, and its got to be completely dark. then 2 days later mushrooms appear!' :amazed:

So, anybody else out there hear some wacky/untrue things about shrooms? Feel free to share!

#2 bub

bub

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 04:26 PM

Nice subject. People who have never looked up information on our magic mushrooms or have never seen them obviously say some crazy shit. I've heard a few times people saying that they make you trip because they are poisioning your body. Also, that they all grow on shit and the blue ones are better :P

#3 sexonaplate

sexonaplate

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 216 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 04:28 PM

I have many friends that still believe mushroms swell your brain, and the visuals you get are form when your brain touhes your skull... LOL

Haven't gotten around to cleaning up that slight bit of misinformation yet..

#4 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 04:38 PM

Or what about the mushrooms with the gold flakes on them are the most potent. hehe

#5 danfromabove

danfromabove

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 04:47 PM

Nice ones..that brain swelling reminds me of the folks that said that mushrooms and lsd make your spinal cord bleed? Or something along those lines...and that flashbacks are when the 'scabs' on your spinal cord come loose! Amazing how people come up with this stuff.

#6 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 2,313 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 February 2006 - 04:54 PM

The ones that get me are people who ask if they can snort or shoot them up! Shit, I wouldn't want mycelium growing out my nose. LOL Or in my blood stream as far as that goes.

#7 waylitjim

waylitjim

A Mirror Image

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,706 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 February 2006 - 04:56 PM

I often hear people say that caps are more potent than the stems.

Someone was also trying to tell me that you can smoke shrooms. :lol:

#8 shedthemonkey

shedthemonkey

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 05:59 PM

Someone once told me that the white dots on the bright red mushrooms are Arsenic and you gotta scrape them off or they'll kill you. LOL. They're not. Are they? ;)

#9 shedthemonkey

shedthemonkey

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 06:01 PM

OH...and this one time...at band camp...

a friend once told me the people with the paper bags out in the fields at night are "Snipe Hunting" :D NOW I know what they were REAAAAALLLY doing! MUSHIE HUNTING!

#10 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 06:04 PM

well not much changes with time...A high school girl was telling me just last week that eating mush makes the back of your brain bleed...but they eat em anyway....they look at it as an acceptable hazard...who is spreading this shit..? ....

#11 psilomed

psilomed

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 06:36 PM

a friend once told me the people with the paper bags out in the fields at night are "Snipe Hunting" :D NOW I know what they were REAAAAALLLY doing! MUSHIE HUNTING!

lol, i first heard that about 40 years ago and i actually believed em......
until i put 2 & 2 together and then i was out snipe huntin...lol

#12 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 15,092 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 February 2006 - 07:47 PM

"You see, those are the psilocribin [sic] crystals there, they are what you get off on" he said, pointing to vermiculite flakes.

"Wow" I replied. I didn't feel like correcting him as I was wondering if he was more curious about whether I could. Sometimes it's good not to clarify.

Was also told you get new pot strains by cutting seeds in half and sticking different ones together. Trust me, it doesn't work. That and grafting hops on a pot plants' cut stem for THC active hops.

TVC

#13 LethalTr1p

LethalTr1p

Market Restricted

• Expired Member
  • 176 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 08:14 PM

Lots of people around here are obessed with bruising. They think the ones "dripping blue goo" have the strongest effects. I've tried calling bs, but no one ever listens.

#14 Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Posted 07 February 2006 - 10:47 PM

i've heard that the shrooms weren't the right kind b/c they had black stuff (spores) on the cap...
2 hours later that same kid leaves the show we were at and ends up contimplating life ontop of an empty parking deck in the middle of down town for 2 hours... lol
LOST

#15 1sttimegrow

1sttimegrow

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 99 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 10:57 PM

A while back, before ever reading anything on the web or on these forums, one of my buddys had told me that all i needed to do to grow mushrooms was to simply sprinkle some spores onto a rice crispy treat.:amazed:

#16 suckerfree

suckerfree

GATE KEEPER

• OG VIP
  • 3,035 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 February 2006 - 10:59 PM

i've heard of people trying to smoke them before....

#17 Ttiger

Ttiger

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 11:31 PM

1. I had a friend who sold these mushroom caps (for use in soup) he bought at the grocery store to a girl who claimed to have tripped tons of times. She had a patch of amanita muscarias stitched onto her bookbag. He made her beleive that they only work if you smoke along with them.
2. Another friend asked me if I grew hydro or organic 'shrooms.
3. One of my high school teachers told the class of how LSD can kick in 40 years later while you are driving your kids to school and make you drive off a cliff.

#18 danfromabove

danfromabove

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 11:42 PM

I can't remember how many times people have told me that they got so high smoking psilocrybin mushrooms... :smokin: :crazy1:

What about A. Muscaria though, is it possible to get a high from smoking them? To erowid I go...

#19 red_lenses

red_lenses

Pandoras Box Is Open

• Free Member
  • 423 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 02:41 AM

I hate to admit........
About 20 or so years ago......
I smoked em.
LMAO
didn't do shit...
Well tasted like shit anyway !
But not as bad as snortin whiskey..... YUCK !!!!!!!!!

#20 SporeAddik1

SporeAddik1

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 119 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 02:48 AM

I hate to admit........
About 20 or so years ago......
I smoked em.
LMAO
didn't do shit...
Well tasted like shit anyway !
But not as bad as snortin whiskey..... YUCK !!!!!!!!!

HAHA! Ya I did the same thing when I was really young and knew nothing about shrooms besides you eat them. I was already trippin balls and thought it was a good idea.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!