#1 doughboy453

doughboy453

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 12:22 PM

ok got 2 qeustions

first is this a good casing mixutre

cow manure/coco voir/ verm , if this is what is the ratio to cow manure i use in the coco voir /verm

and second

how long do i pasturalize my cow manure in the hot water

#2 Guest_golly_*

Guest_golly_*

Posted 15 May 2005 - 12:33 PM

It's a good substrate mix -don't need nutes in the top casing layer though,,
Hold the mix at 160F for an hour or more to pasteurize...

#3 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 12:38 PM

leave out the manure
for a casing mix.
casings are not nutritious.
see http://mycotopia.net...html?1086994348

#4 doughboy453

doughboy453

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 02:09 PM

i already starting my pasture of my cow manure

#5 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 15 May 2005 - 02:17 PM

Peat/verm makes an excellent casing. Be sure to add lime to ph 7-8, and gypsum as a buffer/calcium source.
RR

#6 doughboy453

doughboy453

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 02:47 PM

well i guess i will just use the manure , or just the coco and verm

#7 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 02:51 PM

i know you started the manure past. but maybe use it to spawn some grains or brf cakes into? that way you can case with verm or peat and verm and not waste the manure.

#8 doughboy453

doughboy453

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 08:45 PM

ok how do i spawn just crumble of the brf cakes and let it colonize and case it with coco and voir

i pasturized it and put it in a plastic bag , in my drawer ,im drunkingmy brf cakes im gonna mix it together tommorow

#9 sistercrowley

sistercrowley

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 04:01 PM

will the straight verm be less prone to contams?

#10 711

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 154 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 04:10 PM

Through reading experiences I have noticed that usually even with lime added and pastuerization most soil or peat based casings end up contaminating eventually. The few times I have read about staight verm I noticed less probs with contam. I think because it is nonnutritios and not acidic. Maybe the only thing that likes verm is water! Then again verm cost alot to be using for full casings and substrates. It all depends how much $ you have and how much you can get out of your first two flushes. I should also note that the usual culprit for peat is the green guy, not so much with the verm but there may be other culprits common to verm that others can help you with.

#11 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 06:45 AM

hmm, perhaps slightly but it's no guaranty,
i've seen pure verm turn green plenty of time.

see
http://mycotopia.net...read.php?t=3146

#12 cutty

cutty

Gone Fishin'

• Expired Member
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 08:16 AM

I would recommend the 50/50 peat/verm mix as I had better success with 50/50 compared to straight verm.As for contams I dont think theres much of a difference.Good luck.

#13 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 18 October 2005 - 08:47 AM

A little peat is very beneficial to primordia formation. It contains the right bacteria that verm does not have.

#14 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 09:04 AM

cubies have never been, to my knowledge, shown to benefit from the bacteria you mention, that applies to button mushrooms i believe.

#15 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 18 October 2005 - 10:34 AM

I think it matters not the casing material, but more of how the casing is prepped and how clean things are kept and proper casing care. I've seen both contam also. It comes down to user prefer. and what works best for them. Which one they have better results with and less contams.

#16 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 18 October 2005 - 12:58 PM

The hell you say. Stamets mentions it off hand in his book "The Mushroom Cultivator" but that was written a long time ago and he never gave any proof. Thanks for the heads up.:)

cubies have never been, to my knowledge, shown to benefit from the bacteria you mention, that applies to button mushrooms i believe.

#17 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 01:02 PM

not saying there is no benefit,
just that it's never been proven
as far as i know.
just anecdotal reports
which do seem to favor a peat-based mix.

but
here's what a pure verm casing can do-
http://mycotopia.net...read.php?t=3802

http://mycotopia.net...96&d=1114444870

#18 lyqwyd

lyqwyd

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 658 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 06:59 PM

Lets say i wanted to make a bulk tub using horse poo. is it better to use the poo straight, or should i mix in verm/coir/crushed shells/1st born children or what have you? i ve been away from the hobby/mushroom forums for a while so i miss info like this... i was thinking a lil bit o verm or coir would make for a more aerated substrate, thereby improving colonization time, but what do i know? and did the mixing vs layering spawn and substrate question get resolved? or does it not matter? man, i feel so behind the times...:teeth:

#19 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 07 February 2006 - 07:08 PM

I use straight past. horse manure with nothing added all the time. Verm is to hard to come by anymore in my area so I don't ever add that. And I just tried my first mix of poo/coir. The poo/coir mix only helped me add to the volume so I didn't have to crumble so much poo, though it did have a nice texture to it.

I also like to mix my manure. I've never layered but have seen others do it. I find mixing works best for me. More inoculation points throughout the whole substrate.

#20 python

python

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 08:28 PM

straw/poo is nice

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!