- - - - -

Fruiting a sclerotia producing strain?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 09 April 2006 - 06:28 PM

interestin

so jalisco and atlantis have let ya down in the fruiting department?

is your theory of them bein the best to 'get caps' based soley on hearsay?

thx much 4 yer input :)

#22 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 06:30 PM

no, i've on to jalisco and atlantis next,
having been let down by mexA.
my 'hearsay' is from the man who posted all those wonderful pix,
workman himself.
take it for what that's worth.
;)
i recently acquired all three, mexb, jalisco & altlantis,
courtesy of sporeworks.
so i asked him which had the best shot at caps, not sclerotia.
he said jalisco by just a hair over atlantis.
so that's my current heading.

#23 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 09 April 2006 - 06:33 PM

:bow:

#24 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 09 April 2006 - 06:42 PM

togo a bit offtopic, not really, but kinda....

there are two schools of thought as to which is best for g2g production for sclerotia-forming species;

A. use mature jars with formed sclerotia + mycelium blended in a slurry as innoculum

B. use regular mycelial material;pre sclerotia-formation is fine

my friend's Dutch Pen-Pal is curious as to the general concensus on this?
do some folks use the stone to innoculate because it makes for a quicker colonization?

what about the coffee soak?
anyone able to duplicate rodger's boasts of ten times the sclerotia formation
in grain soaked with weak coffee as opposed to jars made with normal, non caffeinated rye?:crazy1:

#25 Workman

Workman

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 667 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 12:33 AM

You can check out more P. mexicana B pictures at the old Mush Mush site.
http://www.mushmush.nl
Sclerotia formers gallery page 3 to start
Posted Image
Personally, I prefer Jalisco for fruits. The mexicana B is mostly a hold over from my early isolation efforts since it was the first mexicana I was able to fruit in mass. The mexicana B mushrooms are tiny and the caps virtually spore free.

Attached Thumbnails

• mexb3_thumb_20040129000420.jpg

#26 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 10 April 2006 - 03:49 AM

thank you for gracing my thread Workman:bow:

the pics on mushmush are incredible,
now if only we could hear how difficult they were to do, from the average joe, ill be content

#27 arezap

arezap

Underfunded evil genius

• Expired Member
  • 593 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 04:02 AM

If someone with stone producer strain experience could write a tek, tips to get the different strains to fruit, point me in the right direction for info, or prints/syringes to trade I would be in their debt. There is little I can find besides adding calcium carbonate seems to promote fruiting better than hydrated lime and a bunch of pics. Even http://www.mushmush.nl
has few pics of fruiting stone producers. I always make good on my debts. :D

#28 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 11 April 2006 - 12:27 AM

yeah, not much info--
guess somebody has to step up to the plate
and work it out every which way and master a tek to pass on to others....
anybody else with info or tips, styles, yield potential/strain,
experience trying to fruit, species preferences, various subs/performance,
anything having to do with any aspect of philosopher stones feel free to drop in and speak on it
be well

#29 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 07:40 AM

by rahz

had mentioned in a previous post how some of my jars had the majority of truffels growing above the substrate. I wanted to provide a picture to illustrate the point.

The substrate is rye grass seed, hydrated in diluted coffee. Once they come out of the PC, give them a good shake. I didn't anticipate it working like this, and I haven't started any jars lately, so I haven't had the opportunity to examine the jars closely after the shake. I don't believe it's necessary to have the glass covered with seed, the shake will deposit starch onto the glass which gives the mycelium a substrate to climb. It's not even a lot of starch, won't be very noticable to the eye, though there should be something visible when looking closely.

Anyway, the pics aren't as good as in person, but you get the idea. Most of these truffels will require no cleanup at all. I expect to get about 45 dry grams from these 3 jars.

Edit: And here is the harvest from 1 jar. It took about 2 minutes! The truffel beside the lighter is the only one that needs to have grass seed brushed away. The fluff you see in the bowl is mycelium network that connected the truffels together.

Attached Thumbnails

• 512718968-shake-harvest.jpg
  • 512591501-shake-truffels.jpg

#30 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 18 April 2006 - 03:29 PM

hey, that is pretty damn cool. Sclerotia on glass. I wonder why so many form above the sub like that. Air exchange?

#31 blackout

blackout

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 302 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 07:45 AM

Yes, I put it down to air exchange. In normal fruiting grows many report a lot of sclerotia forming in the casing layers. The myc seems to form a tight seal around the glass which restricts air to the bottom of the jar. ALL my sclerotia jars have poor growth at the bottom and lots at the top. I would imagine it is best to grow in shallow tupperware containers so lots of the substrate is like this at the top. Also sclerotia always seems to grow best at the glass interface. I have suggested introducing thin strips of plastic into jars to give additional interfaces for them to grow up against. The shallow containers would have a large ratio of interface to substrate too.

BTW I finally got around to taking some atlantis sclerotia. 15g wet sclerotia. It was frozen for a few months and went down easy, tasted acidic like sour sweets and was slightly nicer than the mexicana I have tried.

I found it more potent than any of the mexicana I have tried (which I think is over-rated potency wise). People say sclerotia is 30% dry matter and 2/3 the potency of cubensis so 15g should dry to 4.5g and be equivalent to 3g of cubensis. I would estimate the atlantis to be about 2g cubensis. I have taken mexicana A and commercial mexicana sclerotia and I would estimate 15g of mexicana to be about 1-1.5g of cubensis. I have never taken tampanensis which is supposed to be strong but takes ages to grow. I find atlantis grows faster than mexicana and many others seem to find this too.

It was a very pleasant and stable high. Strong body effects and very stable closed eye visuals. No peaks and lows like I get with cubensis, a very smooth enjoyable ride. In the last few hours I was watching a comedy and laughing a lot, but not odd bursts of freakish/illogical laughter. Something I would definitely like to repeat. I would recommend it above the other sclerotia strains. I always recommend sclerotia for beginner growers since it is so easy to grow, but it is also suited to first time dosers too since it is nice and smooth.

Mods- this may not be the right forum for this. I only put it here since so few people have grown this species so it may be of interest to cultivators, I rarely read trip reports (and suspect other growers don't) but see this more of a report on the strain as compared to other sclerotia.

#32 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 08:31 AM

imagine it is best to grow in shallow tupperware containers so lots of the substrate is like this at the top. Also sclerotia always seems to grow best at the glass interface. I have suggested introducing thin strips of plastic into jars to give additional interfaces for them to grow up against. The shallow containers would have a large ratio of interface to substrate too.

hmm,
perhaps something like 'egg crate' ?

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

#33 blackout

blackout

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 302 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 09:32 AM

Great idea! I can get plastic mesh similar to that. It is about 1/4-1/2" deep and with tiny gaps maybe 1/4x1/4" might be a bit small. I like the idea of resuable structured mesh though.

I also thought of laying a mixture of rice and RGS out on plastic sheet thinly, then roll the plastic up like a swiss roll and pop it in a tall jar. Leave it a little dry and add lots of LC to get into all the nooks and crannies. Then you can unroll it for easy harvesting.

I also thought of mixing in broken safety windsheild glass into substrate (the stuff that breaks and is not sharp) or tiny marbles, then mix it in with the substrate.

I also wondered if it would grow up against hard substrate, like layering wet RGS or rice with uncooked lasagne.

Far more experimentation is needed with sclerotia, including substrate, water content & additional water during a grow, air exchange etc.

#34 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 13 May 2006 - 03:04 PM

BUMP

workman has P. mexicana 'B' strain at 50% off ending today...
http://sporeworks.co...TM-p-16204.html
i wonder if anyone jumped on that1 @ 14.00 :amazed:

wish i would have seen it sooner!:eusa_doh:

#35 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 May 2006 - 07:25 PM

I haven't actually seen it, but you might go digging for FMRC's "The Golden Doorknob." A few quotes from it in the archives look pretty promising - FMRC knows his stuff.

#36 night_ryder

night_ryder

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 442 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 07:58 PM

has anyone ever tried to make a big bag of mexicana or atlantis or p. tamp.

i wonder what kinds of yields can be made from this.

#37 alpiner

alpiner

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 429 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 10:51 PM

any recipes?
it looks like the standard Karo tek is a dud with it
does malt extract work?

#38 wayback

wayback

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 325 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 07:47 AM

I've experienced a number of problems with growing out Mex A liquid cultures, however, they can be done.

Last year I grew one out and was ready to innoculate some jars, but before I left town for a week I swished around what appeared to be a healthy Karo culture for one last time. And that last wishful growing swish must have touched the polyfill lid and contamed the culture, because when I returned there were black sploches where the rather thick culture existed.

This year I began a culture attempt with the same syringe, which has probally diminished in viable spores, and have no growth after three months. About two months ago I prepared 6 qts. from that culture, only to find no growth.

Mex A seems to be a very fragile species, and that so far has vexed me.

Both times I used the usual Karo culture recipe. I wish you better luck.

#39 night_ryder

night_ryder

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 442 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 08:10 AM

how does agar fair. inject several petri dishes and keep em in the frigde so you can use them to innoc jar of grain.

#40 slp

slp

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 166 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 08:18 AM

Your biomass of stones will be greater than that of mushrooms.
Done it many times, but have always liked large outside beds. slp/fmrc

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!