73 replies to this topic

#1 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,142 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 December 2009 - 05:41 PM

Just thought I'd post a few photos of this year's project.
These were grown out from culture started in '08 - started with the woodlovers '08 project and just held in sealed filter-patch bags until I could get around to them.

The first photo is the best I could do. I hope you can see that the mycelium has penetrated the casing layer (potting soil planted with grass) and begun to send aerial, cottony, mycelium UP THE STALKS OF GRASS!!
IMG_2736.JPG
I'll try to get better photos since the mycelium is doing some neat stuff.
Here are some reasons I like grass.
The roots appear to carry the myclium with them as they penetrate the substrate.
IMG_2738.JPG
I drill no drainage holes in the bottoms of my tubs. Just spill a little grass seed along the cracks between the sub and the tub.....
The grass mops up any excess water just fine.
IMG_2739.JPG
Any standing water is unceremoniously dumped after a couple of days - the myclelial blocks are tenaciously held together and can be completely removed from the tubs if necessary. I'm willing to bet one could pull them free by grabbing a double fist-full of grass and lifting.
Will keep posting as things progress.

Edited by the_chosen_one, 10 May 2012 - 01:36 PM.
edit tags and archive

#2 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,810 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 December 2009 - 05:49 PM

Oh I'm all over this one like white on rice! :D

#3 -=Zeus=-

-=Zeus=-

-= Still Kickin =-

• OG VIP
  • 1,938 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 December 2009 - 06:17 PM

Now we're talkin! I too will be watching this thread like a hawk! :eusa_clap

#4 Om shanti

Om shanti

S.W.I.M. in H.POO

• Expired Member
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 07:26 PM

Subscribe! :bow: :teeth:

And if you don't mind, a few summary details, please, like: temperatures, estimated time until cold shocking, fruiting, if there is a plan? How long have they been colonizing for now?

#5 Thre365ive

Thre365ive

Alchemycologist

• Expired Member
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 10:12 PM

I dont usually subscribe to threads, but Im on this one. Ive been trying to track down some spores for a while now. This will be good info before I get them.

Is this gonna be all indoor?

#6 paph

paph

Future Sailor

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,528 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 December 2009 - 06:11 AM

Awesome Myc, I'm pulling up a chair.:)

#7 ethnobotanica

ethnobotanica

Botanical-manical

• Expired Member
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 06:54 AM

Oh I'm all over this one like white on rice! :D

Dito!!:rasta:

#8 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,142 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 December 2009 - 09:26 AM

And if you don't mind, a few summary details, please, like: temperatures, estimated time until cold shocking, fruiting, if there is a plan? How long have they been colonizing for now?

Spawn run temps have always been indoor ambient. Between 65*F and 80*F Winter/Summer
Colonized bags were introduced to tubs of pasteurized woodchips.
Once colonized, the tubs were cased and planted with grass. Then moved outside for the summer so they could water with the automated lawn sprinklers along with the lawn. The live tubs were placed in a permanent shade-line in the backyard to prevent exposure to direct sunlight at any point during the day.
I live in the desert Southwest and the night-time lows in the summer get fairly low - but the daytime highs are killer.

No incubation
No special temperature considerations.

The grass is my litmus indicator. Keep the grass fresh and healthy and the colony does just great.

Tubs moved inside before the first hard freeze.

No fruiting strategy other than to capitalize on seasonal weather patterns.
Tubs go outside for snow and rain.
Tubs come back in (to the greenhouse) when things dry out and warm up.

The colonized bags used to start this project were nearly a year old to begin with.
The blocks were spawned to tubs sometime in early July and went outside sometime in August - so they're pretty rapid colonizers. Ripped through 25 lbs of woodchips in less than 60 days!

I suppose you could say the cultures are currently undergoing "cold-shock" right now. They were placed under the roof drip-line to catch ice/snowmelt during the "heat" of the winter day.

If you look carefully at the "dump" photos, you'll see a skin of ice on the exterior of all the blocks. And I tested, the hydrated blocks cannot be lifted out by the grass. But it didn't hurt to try. :D

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2743.JPG
  • IMG_2741.JPG
  • IMG_2740.JPG

• shroom_seeker likes this

#9 Om shanti

Om shanti

S.W.I.M. in H.POO

• Expired Member
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 09:49 AM

:bow: Thanks alot for the explanations!!

I'm glued to the screen, I hope you get some huge flushes!! :headbang:

#10 ethnobotanica

ethnobotanica

Botanical-manical

• Expired Member
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 10:05 AM

Yes, mucho mucho gracias!:)

How many transfers did it take you at the start to get this ninja speed, mega fruiter super-myc isolate?:nunchuck:

Thanks Myc:thumbup:

#11 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,142 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 December 2009 - 10:52 AM

How many transfers did it take you at the start to get this ninja speed, mega fruiter super-myc isolate?

Call it dumb luck, but I don't think I could have gone wrong with any of my choices.

I started with one multi-spore plate
Germination after 3-4 days
6 new master plates transferred - I use the " + " style 4-sectioned plates.
One promising spec of resiliant new myc per plate.
As the specs grow out, transfer "around the clock" - the most robust mycelium - to the next respective blank section in the 4-section plate.

Posted Image

The best of each of those six plates were returned to a single-plane plate for a cage match. LOL Told ya I like to play.
The two most robust substrains jumped off of their transfers and went at each other. So looking at the "woodlover '08 too" thread, you'll see that there was a "robust" substrain and a "less robust" substrain. This is their "home plate" - you can still see the gaps from the respective transfers which went to new single-plane plates of their own, then onto grain.

So the way I see it, there are still four un-tested, aggressive, substrains stored on this plate. One could easily go back and repeat the above experiment. ;)

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2744.JPG

#12 ethnobotanica

ethnobotanica

Botanical-manical

• Expired Member
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 11:34 AM

Like a flurry of little snow storms!:amazed:

#13 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,462 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 December 2009 - 01:53 PM

Hey Myc,

I'd like to start that print you sent me this winter. Is now a good time? Can I colonize a standard cubie LC and 'noc popcorn with it? How long until spawn time? What kind of wood chips lol sorry I'm done now.

Thanks again for the print sir :heart:

Great work as always

#14 ethnobotanica

ethnobotanica

Botanical-manical

• Expired Member
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 02:02 PM

Hey Myc,

I'd like to start that print you sent me this winter. Is now a good time? Can I colonize a standard cubie LC and 'noc popcorn with it? How long until spawn time? What kind of wood chips lol sorry I'm done now.

Great work as always

Ive started mine:)

...on plates though, didn't want to risk the LC with these. Had considered making several LC's to lessen odds of failure but decided to do plates in end. Only used a few spores as well, loads left on foil. :)

Get on the case man:rasta:

#15 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,142 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 December 2009 - 08:26 PM

Hey Myc,

Great work as always

Anytime is a good time to start woodlover culture.
Don't take those spores strait to LC though - I handled them as clean as possible, but they were raised in a greenhouse. Treat them like outdoor prints even though I printed them aseptically.
  • ethnobotanica likes this

#16 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,462 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 December 2009 - 12:10 PM

OK thanks.

edit: pm sent

#17 nightflyer

nightflyer

Far Journeys

• Expired Member
  • 466 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 01:52 PM

Hi Myc

That mycelium on the petri dish looks very healthy and aggressive.
What kind of medium is it ?
PDA, MEA or something else?

#18 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,810 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 December 2009 - 04:21 PM

Wow, that is a nice lookin' plate! Your explanations of how you choose which substrain to try are excellent Myc! :bow: If you had rep, I'd give ya some!

BTW- I tried going straight to grain with my print, and it had bacterial contams.

#19 ethnobotanica

ethnobotanica

Botanical-manical

• Expired Member
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 04:51 PM

My plates aren't lookin' too bad, here's the "busiest" one. A few extra spores seemed to make their way onto the plate.

Ive never isolated before, do I need to let this grow out a bit before transferring?? .... can any of you see a nice section to grab ??

I kno the pic isnt that great, the random growth away from the center bit are actually looking the most aggressive, the central patch is thicker and whiter but isn't "reaching" out like the outer patches.

its nearly a week old now btw..

cheers:)

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC02671.JPG

• paph likes this

#20 mushmonkey

mushmonkey

Phantom Psychonaut

• Expired Member
  • 778 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 05:16 PM

@Myc:

This kinda blew my mind. Please more pictures when you get a chance.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!