• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#1 insight

insight

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 824 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 11:13 AM

Ok, so I have been on a mission trying to learn the in's and out's of Popcorn. So far, I have tried a couple different ways, and believe I am overcooking the corn. So as we speak, I have more going now that I am cooking for less time and very closely watched. What would be the downfall (if any) if the corn was undercooked, or didnt take in max water without splitting?

#2 Guest_hippie3_*

Guest_hippie3_*

Posted 07 February 2005 - 11:18 AM

proly little harm done as long as there's enough water in it for colonization to complete fully

#3 insight

insight

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 824 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 11:26 AM

Now as far as adding a little verm to the bottom of the jar, say around 1/4 cup, is that preferred to absorb any excess water or not? I have had better success with Rye berries, however, I was able to find a 50 Lb. bag of corn for $11.00 and couldn't pass up buying it, so I may as well use it up.
Posted Image

#4 Guest_suckerfree_*

Guest_suckerfree_*

Posted 07 February 2005 - 11:33 AM

I toss my popcorn into a pot of simmering water (light boil) and stir stir stir. After a little bit I start pulling out a kernel, and I bite it with my front teeth, trying to bite it in half.
When you can easily do this, then it's ready.

if you are going to use verm on the bottom, I'd use less than a 1/4, just enough to coat the bottom with a thin layer. try an 1/8 of verm.

#5 insight

insight

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 824 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 11:38 AM

I just pulled out this round of corn. I did just that, I was able to bite a couple in half with no problem. This time, I simmered for around 30 mins instead of an hour on med heat, constantly stirring. I bit a couple pieces every few minutes. It looks like they have expanded very well. I was just concerned as to this decreased cooking time what the results may be.

On a different note, I dont know if anyone else is getting this, but I receiving server errors when I post, but the post is going through, also, I not getting reply e-mail.... not sure if the server is on the blink...

#6 Guest_suckerfree_*

Guest_suckerfree_*

Posted 07 February 2005 - 11:49 AM

Eventually you'll get the perfect feel...err bite for it.

Yes there seems to be problems this morning.

#7 Guest_rodger_*

Guest_rodger_*

Posted 07 February 2005 - 12:26 PM

I've found when it comes to moisture in your grains, less is more. People have a lot more problems with excess moisture, than with grain jars too dry. Like hip said above, as long as you have enough moisture in the grains to allow them to colonize fully, it's enough.

#8 Guest_hippie3_*

Guest_hippie3_*

Posted 07 February 2005 - 12:34 PM

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

but I receiving server errors when I post, but the post is going through, also, I not getting reply e-mail.... not sure if the server is on the blink... <!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

fixed now

#9 Guest_hippie3_*

Guest_hippie3_*

Posted 07 February 2005 - 12:35 PM

i've gotten by
with as little as a 20 minute boil on pcorn

#10 insight

insight

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 824 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 01:07 PM

Well, they are in the PC right now for 2 hours @ 15 PSI. Hopefully, this time around it will work.
Other (Popcorn) jars I have going right now are at 5-6 days colonizing with no signs of growth yet...

#11 kevinfergo

kevinfergo

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 88 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 09:49 AM

this is my first attempt at casing. just straight verm casing on popcorn Amazon strain.

sorry about the quality hope to get a better camera soon. Just happy and thought i would share:D there are pins you can't see here ..i counted 48.

#12 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 09:52 AM

nice,
popcorn seems to be treating you right.
how'd you prep yours ?

#13 kevinfergo

kevinfergo

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 88 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 10:03 AM

thx hip...i pc'd the popcorn for 60 minutes to rehydrate...put on a towel spread out and took another towel to dry up excess moisture...put in pint jars pc'd for 60 min.
nocced it up. put a small layer of verm on bottom of 8x8 pan spread out 1 pint. put a little moist verm on top..11 days to fruit...i just started another one and i took your advice to let it recolonize for 48 hours before casing. they look great ...casing with 50/50 peat-verm-lime..hope it works out as well.

#14 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 10:28 AM

took your advice to let it recolonize for 48 hours before casing. they look great

yes, indeed.
post a follow-up near harvest time
if possible, plz

#15 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 10:31 AM

just started another one ...casing with 50/50 peat-verm-lime..hope it works out as well.

you'll like peat,
did you sift out all the twigs ?

#16 I_am_me

I_am_me

Odderator

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 11:51 AM

Looin' good so far!

Also, try to save your images as jpegs instead of bitmaps and they will be a lot smaller files size. :)

Can't wait to see em get nice and big.

#17 Guest_tumbz_*

Guest_tumbz_*

Posted 24 February 2005 - 12:06 PM

Nice looking Casing!

Keep on Shroomin!

:D

TUmbz

#18 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 24 February 2005 - 12:51 PM

Yea, those look really healthy. When I case I really like peat too. Show us some more goods if ya can.;)
Hippie, yu said somthing about removing twigs. I always remove big things but some smaller sticks and such stay in the mix. Can this cause a problem?

#19 kevinfergo

kevinfergo

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 88 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 04:52 PM

i never thought to lok for twigs...but the bag really doesn't have any ..good name brant fine peat..

#20 sinthetic

sinthetic

i party like a rock star

• Expired Member
  • 872 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 05:06 PM

looks like u got some fat pins on there!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!