109 replies to this topic

#41 suckerfree

suckerfree

GATE KEEPER

• OG VIP
  • 3,035 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 May 2005 - 10:04 PM

I have my mj clones growing WITH my mushrooms.... no problems.

You can go to wal-mart and grab some polyfil, twist it up real good, stuff/pull it in the hole with pliers... instant breathable hole that can withstand the needle.

see ya online!

#42 kingstrrophariad

kingstrrophariad

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 09:17 PM

You can go to wal-mart and grab some polyfil, twist it up real good, stuff/pull it in the hole with pliers... instant breathable hole that can withstand the needle.

i use polyfill with GREAT results! I used to do inverted lids, theres simply no comparison.

#43 cheeseball

cheeseball

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 163 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 11:53 AM

Some say to battle excess water you can use a small verm layer on the bottom of your quarts. I'm about to prepare, 2-3 quarts and wondering if I can do this with popcorn. I will just make it say 1/4-1/2 inch in depth. What are everyones feelings? I will try WBS next, but I have had this popcorn soaking for quite a while.

#44 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 31 May 2005 - 12:41 PM

You can add verm to popcorn jars. If you let it drain long enough it should be dry enough though. I think a 1/8 or 1/4 of an inch should be more than enough to dry up any excess water. I wouldn't use a whole lot of verm though.

#45 morthos

morthos

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 605 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 12:46 PM

This will depend on your method of inoculation. Whether popcorn or wbs, inoculation with spores means shaking the jars to spread the spores and get dozens of starting points; this gives them the ability to colonize the jars within 2 weeks.

If the material is already colonized or has been mixed with spawn outside the jar, then and only then this could work as such; spooning the material into the jars on top of the verm.

Alternatively to reach the same solution: you could add verm, load uncolonized popcorn, seal & PC, cool & inoculate, and THEN shake the jars. The verm would be mixed with the popcorn and absorb moisture at that time. The verm will be compressed in this process, so don't skimp on the amount. I have done this b4 with success to correct overmoisture after PC'ing; I did a spawning event & added PC'd verm at that time.

Are you going to fruit them invitro this way, or are you just trying to make sure they colonize properly? If the former, your success rate will depend on the strain you're working with; Tapalpa does well here, but not all do. If the latter, I'd suggest a different method of preparing your popcorn; this problem is easily avoidable.

To prepare popcorn or wbs without excess moisture simply:
1. Add material to pot, cover with water
2. Boil 15~30 min
3. Strain & rinse well
4. Bring to boil again
5. Let cool a little, then cover with saran-wrap and refrigerate 1 day
6. Uncover, bring to boil (makes straining more effective)
7. Strain 45 min
8. Load jars, PC, and smile.

Once apon a time I did push more water into the popcorn, but given the complications of excess water I now go with my reliable method.

Hope this answers your Q!

#46 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 31 May 2005 - 12:55 PM

Personally, I'm against it for two reasons; One, it covers for sloppy technique. If one gets the moisture content of the grains correct to begin with, there is no need for a mop to slop up the excess. My second point is that sometimes when the mycelium is stressed due to bacterial contamination or other factors, it will put out more metabolytes than it otherwise would as it colonizes the spawn. This is a signal to you that something is not right with this mycelium, therefore not to g2g that batch and to watch it very carefully. If the verm soaks up the metabolyte in the bottom of the jar, you don't know that your mycelium is stressed and will use it for spawn or even worse, g2g transfers into fresh grains thus wasting your time and materials in the future.

It really isn't hard to get the moisture content of corn or cereal grains correct, and all growers imho should strive to do the best job they can to take care of their projects.

Simply hydrate your corn(or rye, etc) until it's double the original size, then get it dry on the outside before you load your jars. That's all there is to it. I boil it first, then drain while boiling hot so the excess water on the surface evaporates off as I shake the collander around. Other growers use a towel to dry the grains off. Either method works. By getting the grains dry on the outside, excess water won't be a problem. If the grains are double the original size, they'll have the correct moisture content inside and won't puke out the extra water when they cool down after pressure cooking the way they will if you've made them triple or even four times their original size.

By preparing your popcorn as described above, if moisture begins to pool in the bottom of the jars later during colonization, you'll realize the mycelium is under stress of some sort and you'll know to look into the problem.
RR

#47 cheeseball

cheeseball

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 163 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 12:55 PM

Yes it does thank you.

#48 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 06:35 AM

i've tried it both ways
a small amount of verm
'covers for sloppy technique'
which really
is NOT a bad thing, imho.
i don't think a small amount [~1 tablespoon in a qt jar]
would dimish your ability to spot trouble, either.

#49 bipolar

bipolar

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 284 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 09:11 AM

When loading before pc'ing most of it stays stuck to the bottom of the jar anyway no matter how hard or long I've shook them. Thus with very little verm being distributed throughout the grains I have no problems noticing problems. And I've had some problems learning about this hobby!

#50 Soliver1

Soliver1

Deranged

• Expired Member
  • 631 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 09:24 AM

I'm a fan of a tablespoon of verm at the bottom of corn jars,
especially since, like many mycotopians, I have a very sloppy technique ;)
and I'd rather dump some verm down and not have to worry about it.

Verm also adds innoculation points to your substrate, enhancing the
performance of your spawn, in theory.

All in all, it can't hurt, might help, and certainly relieves some stress,
for me at least.

#51 SharkieJones

SharkieJones

• OG VIP
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 09:16 PM

After many questions about popcorn, I finally made a few jars. But I'm not really sure if my popcorn was right, because it didn't seem very sticky. I'm not sure if this is hydrated correctly. This pic is taken after 3 days, anybody with experience tell me what you think. I isolated a nice Texas strain and put eight or nine squares of colonized agar in the jar. I can only see two squares not sure what the others are doing out there.

Attached Thumbnails

• Mvc-053s.jpg
  • Mvc-054s.jpg

#52 jjoj

jjoj

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 127 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 12:31 AM

some of the kernels look like they have cracked hulls so i'm sure they've been hydrated fine.

#53 SharkieJones

SharkieJones

• OG VIP
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 05:54 AM

The only reason I wondered was because the grains were not clumping together at all, they were easily seperated.

#54 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 07 June 2005 - 06:09 AM

That's what you want. I go to great lengths to make sure my grains don't stick together. Once it's colonized, you'll need to bang the jar against a fully inflated tire or softwood log to break up the kernels. The pre-colonized jar should never have sticky grains.
RR

#55 Guest_pissybee_*

Guest_pissybee_*

Posted 07 June 2005 - 06:47 AM

those are looking great... I bet they finish in a few days... ten or less is my bet...

#56 ZhillaXXX

ZhillaXXX

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 10:22 AM

corn rules! :)

#57 anticheffy

anticheffy

Nice to be back in the air !

• OG VIP
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 10:29 AM

yea those looklike they are off to a fast start, should do well

#58 SharkieJones

SharkieJones

• OG VIP
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 03:06 PM

I'm glad you think those look great, I was worried that I didn't do something right. One other question, I made about 5 quarts of corn and knocked up the one you have seen here. Wanted to see if the corn would work out first. Then 3 days later I knocked up the rest with live Mycellium in a spore syringe. Do you think that I waited too long to knock off the rest? Does waiting a few days affect anything? Thanks for any info.

#59 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 10:50 AM

a few days waiting shouldn't screw you
better tho' to keep cool meanwhile

those jars look great, sharkie

#60 SharkieJones

SharkieJones

• OG VIP
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 10:04 PM

Thanks hip.Here's an update pic for all interested. Also the other jars that i knocked up after three days are showing signs of life. Will update as they progress.

Attached Thumbnails

• Mvc-061s.jpg

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!