98 replies to this topic

#1 kocos

kocos

The PsYhead

• Expired Member
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 10:13 AM

japonicum, G. tsugae* and allies.

* if anyone has a tsugae print or slant for trade let me know!

Appearence: Normally arising as an antler, this mushroom can be found both in antler or conk form. Mature fruit bodies (conks) kidney shaped, while antlers are normaly single stalked in the wild and more uneven (multiple branched) in culture.

There are many color varieties most being redish, and some being black, yellow or even bluish. Growing tissue is generally white soon hardening and changing to an amber, and soon after that a mature color depeanding on strain. The surface, especially of antlers is smooth, a varnished apearence and touch. Since spores generally land on the conk surface its shiny color doesnt last.

Habitat and distribution: Growing on hardwoods this mushroom is found through out the world.

Mycelial apearence and fragrance: normally the mycelium remains flat, white, growing longitudianally radial and very fast moving. With age metabolites and simple aging can cause yellow or orange discoloration among some species.

Medicinal properties: This mushroom contains a large group of polysaccharides with Beta Glucans, which have imune stimulating properties, being most abundant. It also contains cycotoxic compounds preventing the formation of tumors. Antiviral compounds have been isolated from this mushroom which are tested on a number of viruses including HIV.

Its also said to have an aphrodisiac effect, nothing i have personally noticed even thought ive been drinking reishi tea for the past year or so.

It may very well be a coincidence but i have not even had a cold since then. I must note, it has been prooven that the spores of this mushroom contain a higher cocentration of these medicinal compounds than the flesh itselfe.

Cultivation of this species following the steps that I personally follow:

Agar: i use a standard mixture for all my woodlovers.

20grams agar
15 grams malt extract
2 grams yeast
Water made from 5 grams of oats boiled in a liter of water for 10 minutes, strained and made into 1 liter.
This mixture is properly mixed and sterilised at 15 psi for 45 minutes.

The mycelium generally covers plates in 5-7 days. At room temperature (23 c)

Once done vedges of agar are transfered into sterile grain, i mainly use millet, its cheap and offers a lot more innoculation points than corn or wheat. Once grain master jars are done normally in a weeks time at room temperature, g2g transfers can be done which are followed by the innoculation of sawdust or directly to fruiting substrates.

I tend to use freshly shreded cotton wood and willow branches, suplemented with oat powder and hydrated lyme. An adition of coir and straw pellets provide the small particles needed for fast mycellial development.
This mixture is brought to field capacity and then filled into 5 liter jars. I have super pasturised these untill now but i will soon experiment, innoculating with sawdust spawn into the same mix. pasturised. This way i could reduce the amount of energie used for treating the fruiting substrate.

The sterile and cooled jars are then innoculated with grain, shaken very well and then laid aside to incubate. I must add that shaking these 5 liter jars packed with substrate is pretty damn hard... i will eventually need to switch to bags.

These jars take atleast a week but sometimes 2 weeks to colonise depeanding largely on the efficiancy of the shake. Once the jars are completly colonised i let them rest for atleast another, but more like 2 weeks before allowing them to start fruiting. The pictures below show the jars from my previous thread they have been fruiting for about 13 days now.

Fruiting stage: i will document this as we go along so in short for now: once the lids are removed and the jars are put into a light, humid enviroment primordia development soon start. This normally takes about 3-7 days, once these visible mounds have risen they slowly but unquestionably start to form antlers.

Once these developing antlers reach above the mouth of the jar, the formation of conks can begin. Its important at this stage that FAE is increased drastically, and once conk formation has started RH levels can be lowered to about 90-95% through out the different stages, standard room temps are maintained 23-24 c.

The development of conks but even the antlers is quite slow, it can be noticed on a day to day basis but it still takes about 1-2 months untill fruitbodies stop growing. Once this stage has been reached the entire growing chamber will be covered in spores, a thick dust like layer. Iam thinking of some method of collecting these spores as they have a very high concenrtation of medicinal compounds.

Harvesting these mushrooms can be quite hard sometimes. Probably a lot easier with bags , but with these bottles the mushrooms have to be ripped off which can take a lot of force. Once harvested the mushrooms can either be cut or dried whole. Note that its a lot easier to cut the fresh mushrooms than dried ones, but the whole fruit bodies are more esthetically pleasing.

Outdoor cultivation is also an option which i will discuss later on.

So this is the project iam working on right now, the plan is to cultivate as much as possible as fast as possible using the limited space available. I beleive that i can fit about 100 of those jars in there using up all the space, question is how much spores all of these mushrooms will release. Mushroom spores are a health hazard at such quantities.. ill have to get a face mask. I will be documenting as we go along, some spawn, and fruiting substrate preperation, the maturing of mushrooms and so on. So stay tuned :)

Thats it for now, ask away if you have questions. Ive tried to ad a few pictures hope they are the right size this time.

peace n luv

p.s. sorry about the spelling, i know its shit :)

Attached Thumbnails

• ezezaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa 326.jpg
  • ezezaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa 323.jpg
  • 11.28 107.jpg
  • ezezaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa 054.jpg
  • 11.28 106.jpg
  • 11.28 104.jpg
  • 11.28 102.jpg
  • 11.28 101.jpg
  • 11.28 100.jpg
  • 11.28 097.jpg
  • 11.28 095.jpg
  • 11.28 093.jpg
  • 11.28 089.jpg
  • 11.28 092.jpg
  • 1ess   lemez 130.jpg
  • 11.28 088.jpg

Edited by Freaky, 13 February 2011 - 10:13 PM.

• August West, kcmoxtractor, tenjin and 1 other like this

#2 copelandiaKidd

copelandiaKidd

I am

• Free Member
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 10:26 AM

Awesome thread Kocos!!!!Thanx for sharing!!!!!!

#3 teesus

teesus

numb

• Free Member
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 10:26 AM

beautiful! i will watch this thread

#4 mushmonkey

mushmonkey

Phantom Psychonaut

• OG VIP
  • 778 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 10:34 AM

I love the photos! Thanks for sharing.
:bow:

#5 ethnobotanica

ethnobotanica

Botanical-manical

• Free Member
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 03:06 PM

The fruits remind me of those caramel tri-colored halloween sweets!:)

#6 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,717 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 December 2009 - 03:28 PM

Nice job kocos, I love to see edible and medicinal grows!

#7 Scratch

Scratch

and Sniff

• Free Member
  • 457 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 03:44 PM

Nice write up, lots of good info.
Thanks for sharing.

Maybe its hard to judge, but, do you think the
tea helps maintain better health?

#8 kocos

kocos

The PsYhead

• Expired Member
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 01:15 PM

Thanks for the comments poeple.

Yes i can def. say that reishi has health improoving qualities. It has been used in eastern medicine for atleast 2000 years.

Iam thinking i should be able to fruit the first set of jars in about 2 weeks time.

Patience:meditate:

Iam also spawning a turkey tail bag tomorow, see if i can get it to fruit :)

:heart:

#9 kocos

kocos

The PsYhead

• Expired Member
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 11:53 AM

Quick update of the current jars going. They are developing fast, however i doubt i will get antlers growing from these since the substrate is only halfway up the jar there wont be enuff power by the end imo. We will see in a few weeks. On a side note its now easy to observe all the colors of reishi on these pins. I reallly need to get some good time lapse software for my eos 350-d cus i could make some trippy time lapse squences of this mushroom.

peace n luv

Attached Thumbnails

• 11.28 135.jpg
  • 11.28 134.jpg
  • 11.28 133.jpg
  • 11.28 132.jpg
  • 11.28 130.jpg
  • 11.28 128.jpg
  • 11.28 127.jpg

• paph likes this

#10 mushmonkey

mushmonkey

Phantom Psychonaut

• OG VIP
  • 778 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 12:19 PM

I heart the updated photos. They are really cool looking shrooms!

#11 fucgubarn

fucgubarn

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 764 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 09:26 AM

wow very nice!
thanks!
:):)

#12 copelandiaKidd

copelandiaKidd

I am

• Free Member
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 05:03 PM

Those are really coming along now brother!!!!! I cannot wait to see the end result after they are all growed ups!!!

#13 paph

paph

Future Sailor

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,528 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 December 2009 - 06:02 PM

Very cool post kocos!:cool:

#14 kocos

kocos

The PsYhead

• Expired Member
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 03:30 AM

Glad you people are enjoying. Ill try and update today. Dont expect anything nice from these two jars as they have little substrate and the genetics of this strain are probably quite tired by now. We shall see.

Could someone tell me if they see pictures inserted into the first post of this thread? I atached quite a few and they were there the first few days but i cant seem to see them now.

#15 Deus Irae

Deus Irae

The kindly bivalve

• Expired Member
  • 455 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 07:42 AM

Could someone tell me if they see pictures inserted into the first post of this thread? I atached quite a few and they were there the first few days but i cant seem to see them now.

Yeah, I see them ok, and very nice they are too:kewl:

#16 Dr.Hallucination

Dr.Hallucination

Chasing the Rabbit.

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,447 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:04 AM

Very nice kocos.:eusa_clap

#17 OG Royal Grower

OG Royal Grower

Philosopher

• Expired Member
  • 112 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:25 AM

Great Work:bow:

#18 kocos

kocos

The PsYhead

• Expired Member
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:33 AM

Yeah, I see them ok, and very nice they are too:kewl:

Ah good, I thought they got lost somewhere, why the hell cant i see them i wonder?
Ill take a few shots in a few be back with them later :)

#19 kocos

kocos

The PsYhead

• Expired Member
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:34 AM

[quote name='Dr.Hallucination.']Very nice kocos.:eusa_clap[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]Great Work:bow:[/QUOTE]

Thanks guys! :love:

#20 kocos

kocos

The PsYhead

• Expired Member
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:38 PM

Promised an update so here we go. First picture is of the fruiting subs i have at the moment. I wont go ahead of myselfe but it seems that the pasturisation of wood works! Innoculation in open air, and freezer bags with home made filters ( check the lab thread)! If sawdust spawn is used succes seems quarenteed. I will be doing a pictorial of the preperation.
It has snowed so much that i cant get up to our summerhouse and use the shreder so iam out of wood for now :)

Anyhow here are a few pictures of the current antlers reaching towards fresh air. I love the picture of the leaning couple :love:

Attached Thumbnails

• 11.28 168.jpg
  • 11.28 164.jpg
  • 11.28 166.jpg
  • 11.28 167.jpg
  • 11.28 161.jpg
  • 11.28 162.jpg
  • 11.28 160.jpg
  • 11.28 154.jpg
  • 11.28 158.jpg
  • 11.28 159.jpg

• mycowarrier likes this