#1 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 05:35 PM

recently been hitting the dumpster out behind local grocery store-
been bringing home all kinds of goodies for my critters,
lettuce, fruit, sweets like banana bread and donuts, deli meat.
more than enough to feed everyone,
in fact i've had to limit it a bit,
too much sugar and too much fresh greens
means less protein-rich bag feed.
also found cooking oil for fuel.
all in all
it's been well worth my time/effort/gas
and has cut my feed bill considerably.

#2 Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:04 PM

could be using all the extra to vermicompost with and start selling wormcasting, or at the very lest feed the ponds and fertilize the garden

#3 Scroto Baggins

Scroto Baggins

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 347 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 01:20 AM

A big 'ol Fuck Yea!!! for dumpster diving! Waste not, wan't not; right? Without Bottom Feeders we'd all be piled up to our necks in shit.

Earlier this year my friend and I made off with seriously like 150+lbs. of watermelon behind a Safeway; was enough to brew up some wine plus take like 20 of them to a festie to either give or trade away.

#4 SilvrHairDevil

SilvrHairDevil

Gatekeeper

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,838 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 06:29 AM

My buddy has an arrangement with the produce guy at the local supermarket. He picks up boxes of the discard produce at the loading dock.

#5 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 December 2009 - 06:48 AM

Check this one out-
My girlfriend and I raided the dumpster at an organic bakery in a large city near us, and filled up my flatbed with bread. Good stuff, just two or three days old and such. We filled a freezer for us, and the rest got processed for our animals. Cows got whole loaves to gum on and play with.

We cut it into fist sized chunks, and layed it out on the lawn over a big fish net to dry. The net was a good idea as we ended up gathering it all up and storing it for a week or so. Cutting it up took the better part of the morning, but it was worth it.

When it was dry I tried lots of ways to crush it on the barn floor, driving over it etc, but what ended up working best was a railroad tie on end. Lots of sweat and a few hours later I had 3 55 gallon feed barrels full of crushed organic whole grain bread crumbs. Whew.

I have been mixing it in the turkey and chicken feed for about 5 months, and I still have a bit left. And we are still eating the bread!

#6 Scratch

Scratch

and Sniff

• Free Member
  • 459 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 08:46 AM

Sounds like fun, but....

Is that legal?
Do you ask permission?
Do the store owners get upset?

#7 DarkLestor

DarkLestor

Wanderer

• Expired Member
  • 689 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 08:52 AM

nice!!

anything can be found in the right dumpster!

i've found food, cds, booze(no joke), movies, electronics, a metal framed hiking backpack that i still use, and oh-so-much more in dumpsters!

#8 wildburr

wildburr

Wildest of Burrs

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,657 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:07 AM

you would be surprised at what some stores throw out. When I work with my father doing store fixture work we have to shitcan everything we take out even if its in perfect condition.

#9 firerat

firerat

Why am I so thirsty....

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,033 posts

Donator

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:21 AM

My first 3 apartments were completely furnished with pickins from the curb.

I'd wait till bulk pick up day in the nice neighborhoods, then go shopping. You'd be amazed what rich people throw away!! Nothing a little steam clean won't take care of.

There was a bakery down the street from me that would not only give away their day old stuff, they would give me a few bucks to help them clean up. Win win baby!! (that was years ago though)

#10 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:24 AM

yeah, found a bag full of pairs of tennis shoes yesterday, not my size :(

#11 Deus Irae

Deus Irae

The kindly bivalve

• Expired Member
  • 455 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:28 AM

marks & sparks throw out all their cakes, pies and pasties etc that are due to go out of date the following day..always worth a gleg on the way back from the pub..

#12 Deus Irae

Deus Irae

The kindly bivalve

• Expired Member
  • 455 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:34 AM

I've just walked past a skip with a shit load of hydo gear (£1000+) and the slate from a pool table in it, and thought about this thread.
I don't think the cops have thrown it in there, but you can't be too careful:johnny:
Seems strange that its got the slate thrown on top though... It would mean having to get that out of the way first to get at the NFTs, which would take time and draw unwanted attention:eusa_thin

#13 rockawayrooms

rockawayrooms

Hash Pipe Harry

• Expired Member
  • 2,770 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:17 AM

My first 3 apartments were completely furnished with pickins from the curb.
I'd wait till bulk pick up day in the nice neighborhoods, then go shopping. You'd be amazed what rich people throw away!! Nothing a little steam clean won't take care of.
There was a bakery down the street from me that would not only give away their day old stuff, they would give me a few bucks to help them clean up. Win win baby!! (that was years ago though)

Been there done that bro(& continue to :))
I'm known as the new Fred Sanford around these parts:lol:,my brother and i go out at least once a month to all the rich neighborhoods and scavenge what we can which is usually some really good shit.We store alot in his garage(bikes,mowers,bbq's,etc etc and then have a huge garage sale(in summer) and sell most of it.Hell last year we pulled in over 850.00 from other people's so called JUNK,four and a quarter apiece not a bad haul imfo:D

#14 weed4all

weed4all

Cosmic Traveler

• Free Member
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 10:46 AM

Damn man, that's a good ass idea. Theres plenty of rich suburbs around me, mabey i should invest some time into this.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!