• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 panic

panic

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 248 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 08:38 AM

so how goes the coir? is it working out like you thought?

#22 maynardsdick

maynardsdick

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 189 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 05:02 PM

the mycelium grows like a snowflake

#23 waylitjim

waylitjim

A Mirror Image

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,706 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 December 2005 - 06:26 PM

so how goes the coir? is it working out like you thought?

The coco coir was spread out over the wood chips and mycelium, between two pieces of cardboard. I was curious if the coir would contaminate, being so moist and all with very little fresh air. It appears the the mycelium is favoring the nutrients in the cardboard over the coir, which isn't suprising. Cardboard is an excellent way to clone azurescens, and other woodloving species.

As far as the ratio of chips to soil, 10:1 works nicely. You want to coat the chips in soil which fills in the gaps between the wood chips. You don't want much space between the chips, this is why it's best to use a mixture of chunks, chips and dust. I don't use alder dust, I replace the dust with organic soil. Filling in the gaps between wood chips in an important step in creating a well connected, and dense mycelial matrix. I've found this technique not only mimics nature, but leads to a heavier fruiting cycle each Fall.

#24 roblin23

roblin23

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 08:22 AM

u can stuff my stocking with three of those anytime!
lookin' real good as always, waylit.
:bow: :hitit: :amazed: :dance: :teeth: :eusa_clap :crazy1: :cool: :headbang: :kewl: :greenboun
"Tell'em Large Marge sent ya..."

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!