Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

BioDiesel!!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 director of sound

director of sound

every thing is exactally the way it was aways suppose to be!

• OG VIP
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 09:27 PM

it never occured to me how easy biodiesel is to make and the fact that most everyone of us here has the necesary ingredients allready. an oil (vegi, canola, frenchfry, etc.) methanol (HEET) and lye....

in fact i think ill be searching for a diesel vehicle in the near future and setting up a biodiesel reactor.

#2 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 2,307 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 December 2009 - 09:37 PM

Yep. It is becoming more popular all the time.
Willie Nelson's bus uses bio-diesel in fact.
Here is a great site for an explanation and production methods.:
http://journeytofore...iesel_make.html

#3 director of sound

director of sound

• OG VIP
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 09:52 PM

i think the only thing that i might get hung up on is desinging and building the boidiesel porcessor its self. the process of making the diesel is not hard at all. gotta find a place to get large holding tanks, reactor tanks 50 gal drums, lye by the sack and methanol by the drum. not too hard. most of the money would be in the innital setup but i hear it runs around 50 cents a gal to make it if you get your oil for free.

#4 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 4,219 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 December 2009 - 10:28 PM

it never occured to me how easy biodiesel is to make and the fact that most everyone of us here has the necesary ingredients allready. an oil (vegi, canola, frenchfry, etc.) methanol (HEET) and lye....

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

in fact i think ill be searching for a diesel vehicle in the near future and setting up a biodiesel reactor.

Thanks Director, u got me thinkin now 2 :hippie:

#5 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,096 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 December 2009 - 11:28 PM

check out the 'appleseed' processors.
has to be the most used processor around.
probably find open source plans on the net.

or better yet,
just do a few modifications on your car and run straight veggie oil (svo)
pretty much just filtering the oil.

problem in my area is finding used veg oil.
there is a company who collect it, process it to biodiesel and then ship it to europe.
thus, creating a solution that only a business in the current clusterfuck that is capitalism, can make sense of....

i've got a conversion ready for oil and not one available drop from restaurants. i'd have to drive about 50 miles round trip to get to a restaurant that hasn't been taken...well, there is probably some hole in the wall i haven't come across, but i'll be goddamned if the bastids haven't cornered the market...

end of rant

#6 FDK

FDK

Mad Scientist

• Expired Member
  • 392 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 11:10 PM

"Lye by the sack" - Slake a bunch of wood ashes by filling a pillowcase with wood ash and repetedly dunking it into a vessle of water untill the pH is "right", Let it evap and theres your Potassium Hydroxide. ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potash

P.S. Amazon has used copies of Wagners handbook of chemical technology circa 1972 reprinted by Lindsay publications available for as little as $32. This book outlines more than you ever wanted to know about old school industrial methods for processing of about any raw material you can think of into about whatever you might want. New copies were going for $85 but i.m.h.o. still quite worth it, especially for the D.I.Y-heads.

And August, theres all sorts of Palm trees around here which are loaded with oils, not to mention some easily cultivatable plants which would be good providers at least to handle runnig a generator in a pinch (Nothing like a tailpipe that pumps out rosemary smelling exhaust :lol: ), if you have the space and the barrels it's much like extracting essential oil's (Also covered in the Wagners handbook b.t.w.)

And if in the process of making wood ash for the lye you decide to go hog wild and set up a good charcoal kiln, you can also capture the exhaust from the kiln, purify it and essentially make your own Methanol or wood alcohol. (Hmmm, how many gallons of Naptha did you want laying around the house???) :D

#7 stickyscissors

stickyscissors

Humble Student

• Free Member
  • 395 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 11:55 PM

Yep. It is becoming more popular all the time.
Willie Nelson's bus uses bio-diesel in fact.
Here is a great site for an explanation and production methods.:
http://journeytofore...iesel_make.html

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, because I haven't read the whole thread, but Willie Nelson actually owns a company that produces and sells his brand of bio-diesel.

The fuel is called BioWillie

#8 director of sound

director of sound

• OG VIP
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 12:20 AM

biowillie:lol:... i allready got togather a basic biodiesel reactor design thats automated. put the filtered oil and methoxide in one end, turn on the pumps and biodiesel out the other end. looking around for all the vessles to use and most of them can be bought at a farm-and-fleet type store. its probally gonna run me around $800 to $1000 for the innital setup including a used 5000gal porpane tank im gonna use for storing it. my next design project will be a small scale (20gal a run) portable machine that will go in the back of my truck for cross country traveling.

#9 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,096 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 January 2010 - 12:44 AM

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, because I haven't read the whole thread, but Willie Nelson actually owns a company that produces and sells his brand of bio-diesel.

The fuel is called BioWillie

yea, i'm familiar with many companies that are processing biodiesel.
most of them are negating any positive factors by either using gmo-crops, 'virgin' crops, both, replacing food crops or shipping it out of the collection/processing area.

i don't see the fuel/energy 'crisis' being solved by playing the corporate-bureaucracy game.
the solutions have to be local imo.

biowillie:lol:... i allready got togather a basic biodiesel reactor design thats automated. put the filtered oil and methoxide in one end, turn on the pumps and biodiesel out the other end. looking around for all the vessles to use and most of them can be bought at a farm-and-fleet type store. its probally gonna run me around $800 to $1000 for the innital setup including a used 5000gal porpane tank im gonna use for storing it. my next design project will be a small scale (20gal a run) portable machine that will go in the back of my truck for cross country traveling.

i'd be interested to hear about those projects after they've moved past the design stage...

good luck

#10 begger of light

begger of light

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 03:24 AM

question, would a mixture of strained cleaned food oil and decently concentrated ethanol work in a non "biodiesel" vehicle?

i mean if its like the same consistency of gasoline, and combustable, whats the real difference?

explain pleasE? thanks

#11 captainpicard420

captainpicard420

Cannabis Aficionado

• Expired Member
  • 123 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 03:54 AM

You don't just combine the two to get biodiesel, what the process is essentially doing is removing glycerin (if I remember correctly) and water from the oil so that it can be burnt cleanly enough. The methanol and lye are used to separate out the good bits from the other bits.

About the only disadvantage to biodisel is that it needs a tank/fuel line heater in the colder weather because it will cloud up.

#12 stickyscissors

stickyscissors

Humble Student

• Free Member
  • 395 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:27 AM

Yo Picard, a quick question.

Can you elaborate further on what you mean by cloud up?

What problem does this cloudiness pose? Does it actually thicken the fuel? Will it partially freeze?

What happens if there is no heater involved?

#13 director of sound

director of sound

• OG VIP
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 03:02 PM

yea ill accually gell up and turn the consistancy of half ready jello clog up you fuel lines an fuck up you fuel pumps also a goo dosent burn well and might not even start. it has nothing to do with oil and alcohol burning as a mix, what accualy happens is the methanol acts as a surficant/solvent to get the lye in contact with the oil. once there it reacts with the glycerin moleclue bonded to the oil turning it essentially into soap. since it is hygroscopic (absorbs water) it will pull most of the water from the oil and seperate sinking to the bottom where it is drawn off and discarded. everything else is biodiesel which still has to be dried some before use. since it is a plant derived fuel some waxes and such will stil be in it and thats what makes it gell up.

#14 begger of light

begger of light

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 06:20 PM

okay well on my portion i thuink you guys misunderstood what i was trying to ask..

im asking, is there a way to apply this to a regular non diesel engine.. like a standard motor vehicle motor

i dont see how it wouldnt work, if the oil is already clean enough, and ethanol is added (not methanol) shouldnt it just mix with the oil and burn cleanly anyways? no lye or nonsense involved in the actuall burning process..?

alcohols are miscible in oils afterall..

im sure its possible too, maybe a little replacement of certain rubber valves w/e for silicon would help with heat issues, but im not talking about burning straight ethanol as fuel, i mean cleaned food oil / ethanol mixture... know what Im saying?

please input if you can.. it seems like a simple solution and I would like to know what if any errors might form from this theory..
thanks

#15 director of sound

director of sound

• OG VIP
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 12:16 AM

it cant be used its still diesel. you want green gas or corn gas. you can run a regular gas powered vehicle on ethanol with other lubercants added but it still has to have some gas in it. i think ive seen up to 80% ethanol. the only problem is some of the products from burning alcohol are corrosive so it reduces the lifespan of your engine. all i am saying is if you want to try it go ahead but test some fuel in a push lawnmower or something and see if it runs first. you may still have to have some gas in there like fill your tank half way to 3/4 and the rest would be an alcohol/oil mix. it would be a much better idea to accually use biodiesel instead of cleaned strained oil. it will burn but it will gum up and seize your engine. the biodiesel process removes the substances that dont burn and gum up.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!