Long life to "sempre viva"!

#23 CaptainFuture

CaptainFuture

Mushroom Maniac

• Free Member
  • 331 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 02:14 PM

Hey there,
I did it with horse manure, don't know if cow poo will do as well.

But if you really won't get your hands on it,
-you could do without the horse poo or
-just pm me and I send you some, got enough of it.

You might check your local horse stable, they got that stuff for free all over the year. And you don't need that lot. Tell them you need it for your plants or for growing Agaricus or sthg. Ususally no one's asking questions for giving away shit :)
But you really could try without. I'll use it because I have it and I mix it in for nearly every Psilocybe. Don't know if thats why those flushes were that great. Maybe thats why mine looked different.

BW, cap

Ah and yes those spawn jars look great, they calling for spawn. (btw. you could fruit them of the jars by applying some casing soil, too.

#24 ethnobotanica

ethnobotanica

Botanical-manical

• Expired Member
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 03:48 PM

Thanks Cap,

I can get tonnes of poo round here, is just that we have more snow here then Ive ever seen in the UK and the roads are too treacherous to get to the farms just yet. Plus I will have to dig for it a bit. Mind you, there is a race course just up the road, I should probably pay them a visit tomorrow. They might think I'm a wierdo talking about gardening when all the ground is white though.:lol:

I have a little bit, just finished leaching it. Drying it at the mo, was full of ammonia. Probably still needs another rinse tho.

Also, I'm not quite ready to start fruiting as I've just ordered a heatmat/stat, as its impossible to keep regular temps in my flat with this weather, and am in the middle of setting up a mini greenhouse indoors. So my hands are tied...even as badly as I want to do it right NOW!!!!!:greenboun

Don't actually have an FC at the mo as my old one has become an incubator. Loads incubating and nothing fruiting.:lol:

Not to worry though, still time for spawning bags before the GH is ready. The suspense does have me in knots though.:eek: :)

edit- forgot to ask you Cap, how finely did you shred your straw? I could only get mine to 1 inch pieces.

#25 nightflyer

nightflyer

Far Journeys

• Expired Member
  • 466 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:54 PM

They might think I'm a weirdo talking about gardening when all the ground is white though.

Posted Image

#26 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:57 AM

Hey there,
I did it with horse manure, don't know if cow poo will do as well.

But if you really won't get your hands on it,
-you could do without the horse poo or
-just pm me and I send you some, got enough of it.

You might check your local horse stable, they got that stuff for free all over the year. And you don't need that lot. Tell them you need it for your plants or for growing Agaricus or sthg. Ususally no one's asking questions for giving away shit :)
But you really could try without. I'll use it because I have it and I mix it in for nearly every Psilocybe. Don't know if thats why those flushes were that great. Maybe thats why mine looked different.

BW, cap

Ah and yes those spawn jars look great, they calling for spawn. (btw. you could fruit them of the jars by applying some casing soil, too.

I had asked TCO about spawning Semperviva to hpoo and coir, and he told me that from earlier experiments that Semper did not take too well to dung. Your mix has a fairly small quantity of poo, so that might make a difference, giving it just a little extra nutrition.

Honestly, you, TCO and Workman are the only three growers in the OMC who have posted anything about this species, so I guess there is still much to be learned.

This is a great thread.

Good luck with the grow, Ethno!

#27 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:18 AM

I had asked TCO about spawning Semperviva to hpoo and coir, and he told me that from earlier experiments that Semper did not take too well to dung. Your mix has a fairly small quantity of poo, so that might make a difference, giving it just a little extra nutrition.

Honestly, you, TCO and Workman are the only three growers in the OMC who have posted anything about this species, so I guess there is still much to be learned.

This is a great thread.

Good luck with the grow, Ethno!

a little poo is fine. using cubie mixes just seems to be too much.

small quantities of poo could be part of the reason CaptainFuture's grows seem to explode all at once and my projects are more long lived. producing gradually. either way semperviva has an excellent biological efficiency rate.

i'm with MLB, we all have a lot to learn yet. so far i have pretty much followed in Elektrolurch's steps. next time i will try the same sub i am using for the zapotecorum and caerulescens. they seem to like it well enough, and yes it contains about 5-10% horse manure ;)

:heart:

#28 ethnobotanica

ethnobotanica

Botanical-manical

• Expired Member
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 06:02 PM

Thanks MLB & TCO.:)

Mix is ready and in bags, guna PC in morning and spawn in afternoon/evening.That should give me a couple weeks of colonizing to get the FC ready.

Am hoping to do the same with Caeru's as well once I'm set up better and the semp's are fruiting.

Peace all.:rasta:

#29 CaptainFuture

CaptainFuture

Mushroom Maniac

• Free Member
  • 331 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 04:50 AM

small quantities of poo could be part of the reason CaptainFuture's grows seem to explode all at once and my projects are more long lived. producing gradually.

My cultures would still live, too I guess, if I hadn't thrown them out to make room for others :) The bags didn't shrink that much after 3 flushes. I usually don't have the room, time and mood to grow any non edible species longer than needed for taking enough prints.
And I think my flushes (with any species) are getting bigger due to the larger amount of spawn they've got. Those mycobags are so expensive I hate it to underfill them ;) (which I only do with Semis, Baeos or other slow & thin growing species)
And I often use horse manure cause I am to lazy to mix different subs for each species. Only if I think its really important to keep this or that out I'll do extra buckets for watering.
I really don't think Semperviva is that difficult, seeing your PFtek grow, TCO. I only did two bags. They colonised fast and easy and fruited exactly after the same time and in the same way and brought reliable further flushes.

I'll get some spores directly in a spelt jar next week and make another bag with straw only to see how it turns out, i really love them, so it's nice to have them around :)

#30 nightflyer

nightflyer

Far Journeys

• Expired Member
  • 466 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 08:43 AM

Not the only growers/posters in the OMC:

http://i521.photobuc...esemperviva.jpg

(Copyright by Elektrolurch, 2001)

Edited by nightflyer, 15 January 2010 - 02:35 PM.
removed link to shroomery

#31 ethnobotanica

ethnobotanica

Botanical-manical

• Expired Member
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 09:05 AM

Nice!:rasta:

Quite chunky looking fruits you got there Nf.:)

#32 nightflyer

nightflyer

Far Journeys

• Expired Member
  • 466 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 09:15 AM

Not mine!

Those were cultivated by Elektrolurch in 2001.

#33 pizark2

pizark2

hallucinaginusinghooligan

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 11:59 AM

I grew some invitro
http://mycotopia.net...-chow-mein.html

and got some in fc now,will update soon

#34 ethnobotanica

ethnobotanica

Botanical-manical

• Expired Member
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 01:57 PM

Just a friendly word to not be jacking my grow log peeps. Please and thank you.;)

#35 ethnobotanica

ethnobotanica

Botanical-manical

• Expired Member
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 03:36 AM

Spawned to straw with a tiny bit of manure. Looks to be quite happy 3 days later.:)

Should be ready to birth in a week. I'm really liking this method.

I have a couple extra jars and am considering spawning them to a tray with a different substrate mix as a test.

Stay tuned.:rasta:

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC01256.JPG
  • DSC01255.JPG

#36 Deus Irae

Deus Irae

The kindly bivalve

• Expired Member
  • 455 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 07:01 AM

Exciting! :greenboun

Can't wait to see how they turn out. From the pics I've seen on here, they really are some interesting looking shrooms. Think I'll have a go at them myself if yours turn out well.

Thanks for the update.

#37 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:08 AM

Those spawn bags look nice. It will be interesting to see how many flushes you get.

As far as the shrooms, I have heard that they are VERY strong, similar to azures--one gram will really put you out there.

Good vibes, Ethno.

#38 paph

paph

Future Sailor

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,530 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:56 AM

Those bags look nice and healthy.:)

#39 ethnobotanica

ethnobotanica

Botanical-manical

• Expired Member
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 02:49 PM

Those spawn bags look nice. It will be interesting to see how many flushes you get.

As far as the shrooms, I have heard that they are VERY strong, similar to azures--one gram will really put you out there.

Good vibes, Ethno.

Cheers MLB.:)

Ya, from what TCO says I reckon I shall be just be going for an even gram as a tester. I think I remember saying as well that the actual trip "quality" was quite lib-like. Will be cool to have a lib with that extra azure wollop.;)

I'm really looking forward to seeing these pop up.:)

#40 ethnobotanica

ethnobotanica

Botanical-manical

• Expired Member
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 03:47 PM

Had a little problem. The bags seemed to slow down and upon closer inspection the bottoms hadn't colonized and seemed to be dried out a fair bit.:o

I mixed them up again to re-distribute the moisture thus setting back fruiting a bit while they re-colonize.

Should I inject some water into the bags?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!