• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 growurown

growurown

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 209 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 09:21 PM

i really wanna give this a try. Prolly with some catfish and bluegills ill catch from the lake when there tiny. I think i want to drain the water through a another bed before emptying back into the fish barrel. If the plants in that one dont really grow then i know the waters clean.
  • usagolden likes this

#2 eastwood

eastwood

Dragon Bait

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,612 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 December 2009 - 10:05 PM

Thats a cool idea.

#3 growurown

growurown

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 209 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 05:37 PM

wanted to try it after seeing hippies catfish in a barrel thread but wont change the water everyday:rasta: then i seen this and i dont think i will have to. I hope anyway.

#4 Lopho

Lopho

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 138 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 08:26 PM

Hey, that's cool...

I've done something similar. I had a (food grade) rain catchement barrel (same size as the barrel in the video) stood up on end and without a top. I put in about 5 goldfish, so they would eat any mosquito eggs. Well, I fed the fish for the first week, but then just stopped, deciding to let them live off of "whatever". The fish are still alive, loving their rain barrels, and getting ready to celebrate their 1 year anniversary of life in a rain catchement barrel. Enough food (in the Pacific Northwest) will just naturally find its way into the barrels...
  • AmBe likes this

#5 usagolden

usagolden

A Tin Can Banana

• OG VIP
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 08:30 PM

I really like that barrel system
it has a lot of utility
while having some care free gold fish is neat and all
i really like the idea of growing food, both veggies and fish
how I am seeing it is
the fish dirty their water
it gets pumped into the plants, fertilizing them
the plants pull out all the nitrogen and whatnot
making the water once more usable for the fish

those barrels are awsome

#6 captainpicard420

captainpicard420

Cannabis Aficionado

• Expired Member
  • 123 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 10:50 PM

This is a really awesome idea and seems like it would be quite efficient. I'd love to put one of these together myself.

There's a company that sells a system that lets you grow plants in the same system, it basically uses the fishtank as a reservoir. http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/ I'm sure you could put something together yourself for less though.

#7 Guest_TaterBoard_*

Guest_TaterBoard_*

Posted 03 January 2010 - 12:18 AM

well i just found my new summer project. i wonder if you could grow lobsters like that??

#8 Dr.Hallucination

Dr.Hallucination

Chasing the Rabbit.

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,480 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 January 2010 - 01:25 AM

Very cool.

#9 growurown

growurown

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 209 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:28 PM

well i just found my new summer project. i wonder if you could grow lobsters like that??

Probally not unless u where growing some salt resistant plants. I dont know if there is any that are edible. Not any saltwater around these part.
You could try crawdad tho. Just stick alot of diff. objects in there to give them room to climb and hide and you prolly could fit a shitload in there. Wire mesh on the top with a couple tarpstraps to keep them in.
Theyre not bad eating ethier. Boil in salt water.

#10 Guest_TaterBoard_*

Guest_TaterBoard_*

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:15 PM

mmm i love catchin those little guys in some local spring water ponds. i think that would be fun.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!