Fisana

- - - - -

Hooking up a coolmist

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 11 February 2006 - 08:57 AM

I had to re-fabricate my Kaz coolmist to run into the Martha closet so thought I'd do a write up. There are lots of humidifier posts in the archives explaining different ways to do this. I used things I already had in my house. I did have a hose and pvc, but decided to change it up to this new set up for easier movement, etc.

I prefer the Kaz coolmists because they can be filled right in the front without having to take any parts off. It also has a carbon filter on the back which makes it nice. This coolmist is going on 2 years worth of use so I'm happy I haven't had to replace it yet.

What I did:

1. Found an object that would fit into the output hole fairly tightly. This is oval shaped, so I used an old soap bottle with the bottom cut out.

2. I wanted to use light weight tubing (hose) So I used some of Mr. Freaks hose (:lol:) This is stretchy, and really light weight. Also, I poked holes with a needle into the end that will be in the Martha. This will allow the mist to push out through the tiny holes as well as the end to disperse the mist better.

3. Folded down the end of the hose so it fit tightly inside the top of the bottle.

4. Caulked the top of the bottle and hose together. (Silicone will work also.)

5. Caulked the bottle/hose contraption to the coolmist.

6. Let it dry, then ran into the top of the martha.

Whats nice about using this lightweight hose was I could wrap it around the top of the martha frame. With the holes, it pushes a nice mist all around.

The tubing I think is some kind of auto air tubing, not sure. I just dig around Mr. Freaks stuff until I find what I need. Garden hoses work also. I prefer this lighter weight hose though.

The pix should show what I did. Its fairly basic and easy to send the coolmist into the Martha.

I'd like it if others would show there humidifier hookups to their gh's/marthas. Then we can see all the different fabrications peeps use to pump that humid air into the fruiting chambers.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2006_0208Image0013.JPG
  • 2006_0208Image0011.JPG
  • 2006_0208Image0010.JPG
  • 2006_0208Image0008.JPG
  • 2006_0208Image0006.JPG
  • 2006_0208Image0007.JPG
  • 2006_0208Image0004.JPG
  • 2006_0208Image0005.JPG
  • 2006_0208Image0002.JPG
  • 2006_0208Image0001.JPG

#2 xxanxx

xxanxx

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 174 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 11:44 AM

Looks great! I love the soap bottle idea, that's absolutely brilliant!! One question, do you find that using that diameter hose still provides enough air exchange? I used to use the 5/8" air hosing but my oyster's were not doing well so I switched to garden hose, and it's MUCH better.

Anyway, thanks for the deatiled write-up/pic's.

#3 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 11 February 2006 - 01:52 PM

I find this hose works fine. I also used to have a garden hose, it just wasn't really flexible. I poked numerous holes into this and left the end open. Keeps the closet at 90%. I think the key to using the smaller diameter is to have more holes for it to blow out while in the closet. Thats why I poke all the holes in it. Otherwise I don't think it'd work well with the smaller diameter.

#4 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 09:30 AM

nice work.
i use bigger hose like goes on a clothes dryer exhaust

#5 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 09:31 AM

archive material

#6 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 12 February 2006 - 09:41 AM

Hippie, I too tried the dryer hose the first time I hooked it up. I must not have hooked it up really well because it didn't work as well for me. It is easy and cheap hose to use also. The output hole on the Kaz's is funny shaped so its harder to fit something in there to make it air tight. Thats why I used the small soap bottle, perfect fit.

I've also seen where people close off the output hole, and drill a hole for their hose to fit right in. I didn't do that because I didn't feel like drilling into my coolmist. Though that is the way I've seen most people do it.

#7 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 11:14 AM

what's your timer setting-
how long 'on' and how often
to do your martha ?

#8 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 12 February 2006 - 12:00 PM

I run the timer at 1 hour on, 2 hours off. Though I'm still tweaking it a bit. I'm using it mainly for my Pans so I have to refigure the timer to be optimum for them. I like how well the Martha Closets hold humidity in while the humidifier is off.

#9 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 10:44 AM

did you modify the martha to seal it better ?
any condensation on floor, shelving ?

#10 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 12:02 PM

Freakachino. Are you able to get more than 90% rh out of that rig now? If not, I added a submersible aquarium heater to my coolmist to heat the water. It gave me about a 15-20% increase in RH which is nice. I think I may be able to run all 8 tubs with optimal RH's now. Maybe all 8..

#11 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 18 February 2006 - 12:33 PM

Hippie, I only taped around the hole where the hose runs in. I left the air vent holes open and didn't seal any other places.
There is condensation on the walls and shelves, but no dripping or pooling water.

Lazlo, if I ran the coolmist 24 hrs. 7 days it'd get to 100%. Thats why I use the timer. Saves on refilling the water too. It comes down to running it empty for a week or so to tweak out the settings with these I think. I find all my cased substrates like the 90% best. Some strains I might have to run it more/less.

This is the third setup I've used, and is working the best so far for me. If I open it while its running there is a nice fine mist throughout the air.

4-14 Edit**** After a month or so, this humidifier started leaking so I'm not sure if it is the restriction, or if it is from the water running back down the tubing into the humidifier. So, I'm presently working on this, and for now have it inside the g.h.

I put a bucket up under it to catch the leaks but got sick of that, so I hope it isn't something with this brand of Coolmist.

#12 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 09:02 AM

I bought a coolmist just like the one you have in this thread...

Any restriction in the output (hooking it up to a smaller hose) causes water to leak out the side of the thing.
Did yours do this?
If so, how did you stop it from leaking?
Thanks!!

#13 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 14 April 2006 - 10:03 AM

Shit, Rev.......thanks for this post. I meant to change that thread and add on that that happens when it gets too restricted.

I am going to refab something to it to see if it stops that, or if its just that model of coolmist that leaks like that. I ended up just tossing it in the martha for the time being until I can get a hose that is just right that won't cause leaking through the sides.

The way it was, worked for a month or two, then it started leaking etc. MAybe part of it also is the water that runs back down into the humidifier. Right now its in my martha, until I get something that won't make it leak and will provide 90% humidity. Sorry, Rev. I meant to change that, I'll change it now, and I'll work on something. I like that coolmist, it still works after 2 years, and I've just got to figure out that leaking problem. I'm hoping I've got a better tubing that will allow more air to push through, but the larger tubing I used didn't provide enough humidity so I'm working on it.

#14 malefacter

malefacter

:P

• Expired Member
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 10:21 AM

just seal it up with silicone caulking

#15 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 14 April 2006 - 10:48 AM

I tried that also, and it makes the leaking worse. Its got to be something with this model.

The more I closed it up with silicone or made it air tight, the worse it got. So, I'm working on it again. And Rev., did yours leak right away? Mine took a while for it to start leaking out the side gaps. So thats why I wonder if its more the water running back into the unit rather than the restriction. Though, the restriction does play a major role also. Hmmmmm. I really love that coolmist too, I'll get it down, hopefully tonight. Sorry for not changing that post, I forgot about it.

#16 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 11:29 AM

Ya, I takes a few minutes to start comming out.
I tried trimming a small hole in the plastic where the water builds up hoping it would encourage the water to flow back in, but it seems to come out of the sides and build up too fast for it to keep up. :(
I thought about seeling the whole thing up, but it would be a pita to clean if I did that.
  • Luckyloser likes this

#17 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 14 April 2006 - 11:36 AM

Yeah, Rev. I wonder if it is just that model. Though mine was fine, then when it started to get a low water level is when it started. For a while, I would just set it on a rubbermaid lid with a hole drilled in it to drain into a bucket, then empty the bucket. But this was a pita, so I refabbed, and it worked great, then started leaking again.

Let me try a few things and see what happens with it. I've got a much larger diameter tube I'm going to try out, though those tend to dry more then humidify. Hopefully we'll figure it out.

#18 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 11:45 AM

I'm going to have in draining into something while I think on it.
I havn't seen the old style of kaz coolmists around, so I'm sure lots of people are going to run into the same problem with these.
I'm glad you're on it too:love:

#19 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 14 April 2006 - 11:48 AM

I hope we'll get it, its got to be something with that model. Does yours have that filter in the back also? Mine has a carbon filter and I'm wondering if I took that off, if it might offset the restriction and allow it not to leak out the sides......Glad you're helping me figure it out Rev. !!!!!!

#20 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 11:57 AM

Ya, mine is identical to yours, I kinda like the idea of the filter in though...makes me sleep easier knowing that the input is filtered if ya know what I mean.
frigg'n thing, why did they have to do this to us?
I may have to write them a letter...

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!