Zen_

Timelord

• Founders
  • 4,951 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 December 2009 - 05:15 PM

The Man Known as Hippie - 1956-2009

post-4528-138188433894.jpg

Hippie passed away Sunday night from complications of a heart attack that occurred sometime over the Christmas Holiday.

Today is a sad day for us all as we find our dear friend has passed on. Trying to find the words to honor this man is an impossible task as he has so greatly affected so many of our lives.

As feeble an attempt as this may be I feel compelled to share my thoughts, my story, and to open my heart to you all in this time of mourning.

Hippie was an amazing man who cared greatly for the community he painstakingly built over the last 10 years of his life. The depth of his passion, his charisma, and his knowledge on the many subjects he dabbled in will be greatly missed and never equaled.

He welcomed many into his home with open arms and shared his wisdom with us all. Should you have been lucky enough to be on the receiving end of his iron fist you would very quickly realize the love, and the lesson. He taught the many hundreds, if not thousands, if not tens of thousands, about mycology, botany, home brewing, living off the land, politics, religion, and about this experiment we call life.

Hippie was honest and sincere - a teacher to many, a hero to some, and a friend to all. He has profoundly touched the hearts of more people than I dare to imagine.

In late 2000 I joined this site as Mushroom Zen simply looking for answers, and as it turns out I've opened more doors than I've closed. Nearly a decade later I'm just as entwined in his world as I ever was.

While I never had the opportunity to meet Hippie in person I spoke with him no less than once a week about various board happenings, business ventures, or technical issues. After all these years he invited me down this past summer to visit with him and the wife - regrettably I was unable to make it. Of all the things to regret in life, that one will last until the end of mine.

Hippie - you were an amazing one of a kind man that a LOT of people will miss. May your soul rest easy and I'll be looking forward until the day we finally meet.

Peace and Love

:meditate:

[Direct Link]

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.

Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home.

The Lord has promised good to me.
His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be,
As long as life endures.

Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease,
I shall possess within the veil,
A life of joy and peace.

When we've been here ten thousand years
Bright shining as the sun.
We've no less days to sing God's praise
Than when we've first begun.

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

[Direct Link]

[Direct Link]

Namaste

Hippie - Founder of Mycotopia
Born July 1956 - Died December 2009
Age 53

- Rest easy Hippie and know that we will always be thinking of you -

post-4528-138187808113.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• Hippie3_sm-small.jpg
  • FFFBPicWeb.jpg

Edited by Zen_, 28 September 2014 - 01:37 PM.

• cichlisuite and Ricky Bobby like this

#2 shroom57

shroom57

Papa Smurf

• Expired Member
  • 798 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 10:41 PM

I'm working on this...it's a first draft thru tearful eyes...

The World Has Lost a Truly Great Man...

One of the most influential and truly learned members of the OMC has left us this holiday and I feel compelled to write a eulogy, my eulogy, a way of saying how much this man meant to me...

I met him on some obscure and now forgotten board many years ago, and was intrigued by his innovative but controversial topics and discussions. He argued with the professor and the hawk, yet was concise and scientific about his discoveries and developments.

He moved from place to place and finally settled on a forum of his own, a place where people could ask questions. He treated us like adults rather than being flamed at every turn, and set out to archive all the vast information that had been developed and posted for the use of those of us that exist just outside the envelope of 'normal'.

I've been fortunate to be a moderator on 'his' board, and only through that experience can you know how intelligent and fair this man was...sometimes we as mods would jump to a conclusion only to be told 'calm down'. Sometimes he would beat us to it and remove someone who was obviously a troll...

I can say so much more about this great man, but I prefer to leave it to you to add to it...

Hippie3, you will be missed by thousands, and your work has probably influenced 10's of thousands.

#3 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 December 2009 - 11:17 PM

RIP smoking this bowl to your bro! live on in eternity.

hip's been online since i first went on the internet. when it was america online dial up that would take 20 minutes to load one picture.

peace hip ill never forget the caveman days here at topia...sometimes we butted heads. but like minded individuals do. your patience and willingness to teach has given us all a great things we can share in life. the wisdom to spread the knowledge.

taught me alot bro! already had my shots and shared that last bowl. live on.

:meditate::meditate::meditate::meditate:

#4 CoyoteMesc

CoyoteMesc

howling mad

• Expired Member
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 11:28 PM

You will be missed but remembered forever 3.

I'm lost for words but flooded with emotion.

How does one say goodbye to H3?

R.I.P brother

#5 wildburr

wildburr

Wildest of Burrs

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,652 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 December 2009 - 11:31 PM

In Memory of Hippie3
I feel so honored that he chose me to be a moderator for this great site. He was a very intelligent, compassionate man and could put anybody in their place when needed (it happened to me a few times). I always looked forward to reading his posts and seeing what nugget of wisdom would come next. I learned allot from him, I owe everything I know about this hobby to him and the site he created. I do feel lucky that I was the first to hear his voice on the dial a hippie line, he PM'ed me with the number and said give me a call to test it out. I was nervous to actually talk to the man himself but after I heard his somewhat gruff voice all fears melted away. We talked for about ten minutes until my kids interrupted and we had to hang up. Hippie3, I feel honored and lucky to have met you through Mycotopia and you will always remain in my Heart and mind. Rest in Peace my friend, you will be greatly missed.:heart:

#6 mydarling

mydarling

(actual mycologist)

• Expired Member
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 12:11 AM

dear hip,

thank you for being such a great man. it seems silly to thank someone just for being themselves, but you do deserve to be thanked for that. your contributions to this world, both in knowledge and in goodness, are immeasurable and vast. you were strict, but you were fair; you were tough, but you were kind. you gave me a second chance when i least expected it. you trusted me enough to bring me into your fold and let me help run this amazing site that you have built over the last decade. but calling it just a website does not do it justice... you have built a loving community, a library, a veritable way of life! we are so lucky to be a part of this place. my life has been forever changed because of you and your mycotopia. thank you for creating what is now my second home.

as i write this, i am starting to cry again. the loss of your life weighs heavy on my soul. you were a friend, a mentor, a role model, an amazing human being. you will be sorely missed. we will mourn your loss, but remember and cherish you forever. i was blessed to have known you. i have more to say, but not the right words to say it.

thank you, hippie3. :heart:

#7 Guest_mystic_*

Guest_mystic_*

Posted 29 December 2009 - 12:28 AM

RIP Hippie3
He has flown the final leg of his physical journey in this realm. May he fly onto the spirit world full of glory
and peace.May he feel no more pain of this brutal life.
Hippie this site and all that we stand for and teach has been life changing experience for me.
Topia found me. I had lost faith in all I was raised to be and had slipped into a deep depression. In topia and hip I found again all that I am hobby wise and consciousness wise.
I was awoke again by the myc.
EVEN though hip and I did not always agree on all topics. We did agree on so much more.
The site to me felt like my home that first day. I have since became a very strong part of the staff here.
Hippie you will be missed by me personally so much my brother.
I leave you with this..

Hippie3
Desiderata
Go placidly amid the noise and the haste,
and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible, without surrender,
be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
and listen to others,
even to the dull and the ignorant;
they too have their story.
Avoid loud and aggressive persons;
they are vexatious to the spirit.
If you compare yourself with others,
you may become vain or bitter,
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs,
for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
many persons strive for high ideals,
and everywhere life is full of heroism.
Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection.
Neither be cynical about love,
for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment,
it is as perennial as the grass.
Take kindly the counsel of the years,
gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
Beyond a wholesome discipline,
be gentle with yourself.
You are a child of the universe
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
Therefore be at peace with God,
whatever you conceive Him to be.
And whatever your labors and aspirations,
in the noisy confusion of life,
keep peace in your soul.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

.RIP HIPPIE 09

I :heartbeat U all !
RIP my brother hippie3.

Edited by firerat, 30 December 2009 - 08:29 PM.

#8 Hidra

Hidra

Botanical Ezpert

• Expired Member
  • 353 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 01:00 AM

to an old friend,

I remember, 7 years ago, when I first walked in.
You greeted me with open arms, I felt home instantly.
I had no idea how big of an impact it would have on my life.
The place you created brought me so many things, to so many places.

All the work we did,
All the fun we had,
All the people I met,
All the things I learned,

When you asked me to be a part of your team, It was an honor to accept.
We all worked hard as a team to make this place what it is now, and honestly, without you, it wouldnt be what it is now.
You gave everything you had for this place, and I ow you for this.

I ow you for all the people I have met through here.
All the adventure I had, all the knowledge I have gained.

When I was going through rough times, you gave me advices, treating me like family.
And for that, I thank you.

Today, we are loosing a great man.

On the behalf of all the old crew that went somewhere else over the years;

Ridder, Sweetness, MiracleTrader, Jay, Marvin, JT, RR, Sharkie, PB, Nan, Maliki, Roo, Steevie ray...
And all the one I forget...

I say Thank you!

See you on the other side my friend

#9 Doctor D

Doctor D

(Not a real doctor)

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,258 posts

Donator

Posted 29 December 2009 - 01:22 AM

Hippie3 was one of my greatest teachers. I had the utmost respect for him. Not only did he possess a wisdom and intellect that few could match, but he also had a compassionate heart to go with it. It was his intellect and reasoning skill that first made me take notice, but it was his compassion for others that kept me listening. He was very consistent in his intolerance for racism, misogyny, disrespect for the dead, and the abuse of members of his community. One thing that especially struck me was how he would recognize when a user, who may have initially deserved some measure of scorn, was being dogpiled upon and he would promptly take measures to squash it.

Members of this community who aren't privy to moderator chatter might be surprised to know that it was often Hippie3 who would be the sole voice of compassion to give a user a second chance when all other mods were fully prepared to give the "trouble user" the boot. Hippie3 was big on second chances.

Hip was a mentor to me in so many ways. I wish I had more words to do him justice, but there is little I can say that others haven't already said before me more eloquently. I regret never calling the Dial-A-Hippie line to hear his voice, like I had so often planned to. (I was too intimidated by him to call). Now I'll never get that chance. I'll never have the opportunity to tell Hippie how much I admired him.

Not knowing how to close this, I think I will end with a paraphrase of the words of Dogen Zenji that we often use in Zen monasteries at the end of services. Hippie3 wasn't a buddhist - Hippie took offense to most labels - but I think the words describe best how I'm feeling right now, of my own missed chances and and how my own death and the death of those I love can come at any moment's notice.

Let me respectfully remind you that
Birth and death are of supreme importance
Everything is of the nature of impermanence.
Gone, gone, forever gone.
Opportunity is too often lost
Do not squander your life!

#10 PeopleCanFly

PeopleCanFly

ElectroMod

• Expired Member
  • 399 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 01:38 AM

since it seems that i am missing security tokens to edit my post i'll repost it

To this man who i didn't knew really well , never had a talk with him , never called him on his infoline for a random talk... ( i regret this alot) I say my last goodbyes . Like a few of us , i been here forever , at least 7 years or so ... thanks to Hidra who refered me to this community. I posted alot and a lot on the old boards but only some on the current version of the boards , maybe some people were asking themselves why i had the chance to be a mod with such low post counts ... now they know...

It been and is still , an honor for me to still be part of the team . To deeply be part of the community , to say hello to new members , to say goodbye to the ones who didn't fit in this lovely community, to say goodbye to some old friends who's live's paths changed. To say goodbye to the man , the real , Hippie3.

H3 always been behind my shoulder as i was posting , like moderating the moderator by himself . Always been such a warm feeling to the heart to see him write this really nice ''Archive Material'' after some of our posts.... His , our , community learned me so much things , not only for myco purposes but with dealing with what i was learning and experimenting from life . All those minds in the same community ,,, some days i was asking for help for my projects , some other day i was asking for some compassion , attention , some other day i was spreading knowledge. Mycotopia has been so much for me , i also learned how to write in english here , as some of you know i am a french man from Canada .

I personally met a few people from here , very happy i met them , old timers from the boards too , lets name them . Hidra ,Yogin ,Ridder , Troutlips (even his son) and i am very happy that i met them. They are really great people and worths mentioning. Im pretty sure i'll visit some other cats from the boards troughout the next years , don't worry guys , it is not the end.

Thanks for everything Hip , i didn't thougth about something like this could happen but you're gone .... but we are still here and you gave us so much here that you can be sure this community will keep up , no matter what, im sure it is your dearest will , and our destiny.

Rest In Peace my friend , im really sure you're already having a good time in your new life, looking us from above the clouds .

Thanks for being the father of a part of me.
Much love , PCF
RIP Hippie3 2009

Namaste

#11 Beast

Beast

That's Mr. Beast to you..

• Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 04:21 AM

:heart:

Like the psychedelic experience he so valued, I find my feelings concerning the efforts of Hippie3's life and efforts, and now passing, to be equally beyond my ability to express myself about them. Now that there is an end point to this chapter in my life, my relationship with this incredible man and his visions and thoughts, I realize just how precious it has been. I always feel so ashamed when I don't realize how important someone is to me until it is too late for me to tell them, though I'm sure I've expressed it to him many times in the past, as have many of us.

I'm proud to say that he affected me in a good way. He gave me a place where I was able to find friends, intellectual challenges as well as solutions, a place to spread my own mental roots for a bit as I rested under the shade of his knowledge.

I want, also, to say, that I appreciate you all, and the relationships that we have developed as well. Lets remember to live and love, and as the man said, "Be cheerful. Strive to be happy."

:heart: RIP H3 :heart:

#12 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,278 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 December 2009 - 05:56 AM

My heart is very heavy right now, yet I will try to write something worthwhile (or at least therapeutic). This is a monumental loss in every way I can figure it.

Hip, your good deeds and unquenchable spirit will endure in all the people whom you have influenced over the years. Although I did not know you as well as I would have liked to, I learned many great lessons from you, my friend. I could never express my gratitude to you for what you have done here. In times when my life was a wreck, Mycotopia was a place which comforted me, fed me knowledge, made me laugh, sometimes made me cry.

I recall one of the last pieces of advice you gave somebody here about having a purpose in life: Do good to others. That you did--and so much more.

I am a bit overwhelmed by all this, so simply know that you are loved and respected and dearly missed and your teachings will live on. You made a difference in this world.

RIP, H3

#13 mycobri

mycobri

Stained Blue

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 08:14 AM

Hippie3
You were a Teacher, a Hero and a Friend.
Thank you for the many opportunities to Learn, Grow and Love here at Mycotopia.
From my very first day here, i realized that it was a special place that would be close to my heart.
You have touched so many of our hearts, minds and spirits
and given us all a place where we could feel at home.

Thank You for trusting in me to make your Banner Ad, it was an True Honor.
We almost called you a few times, and i wish we had. That i regret.
Thank You for being the understanding, intelligent and insightful person that we have come to love.

I will never forget the first person to respond to my first post here was Hippie3.
I will never forget how honored i felt the day you invited me to Join the Mod team.
I will never forget the times Hip was in chat with us the nights we broke the record.
When i think of Hip, there is no shortage of good memories.

There is no end to the amount of knowledge you have provided for us all,
and you have shaped us in more ways than you may have known.
Your great posts will be with us always. You will be missed greatly and Remembered by many.
We will always keep you in our thoughts, Rest in Peace H3 :heart:

#14 sandman

sandman

Essence of Gypsum

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,819 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 December 2009 - 08:39 AM

Hippie3
One last goodbye for a wonderful mentor. So many things in my life were touched by you.
The world has lost a great man with the passing of Hippie3. Heaven better watch out, because they've got one wild rebel at thier gates. Rest well my dear old friend. Let him rest well. Forever remembered, cherished, and loved.

#15 mrpanda

mrpanda

It is big and I am clever

• Expired Member
  • 724 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 08:54 AM

To a great man.
Thanks.

#16 firerat

firerat

Very Hoppy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,882 posts

Donator

Posted 29 December 2009 - 09:22 AM

RIP Hip. :reb:

I'll miss our debates and more often than not differing opinions more than anything. You always had a way of making me see the other side of the coin in a way I otherwise never would have thought of. And you sure put me in my place a few times!

I only knew you for a few years, but in those few years you really made a strong impact in my life. I've learned so much from you, a lot of which has nothing to do with mycology.

You gave me a chance to help out on my favorite place to be, the 'Topia. I remember the day I got that PM. I was like a little kid on Christmas. I couldn't beleive it. But you saw something in me to give me this oppertunity and I appreciate it greatly.

I came to 'Topia to learn to grow mushrooms, but I stayed because of you Hip.

Thank you for sharing your beauty and wisdom and bringing happiness and light into this world.

We'll all miss you Hip.

#17 Felix

Felix

FWAP Member

• Expired Member
  • 266 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 09:49 AM

It's hard to know what to say at a time like this, over the past 10 years at mycotopia I have witnessed so much change, people come and go, new sites start up around us, but some of us stay and tend the light, and build friendships that span the globe over years and life times. That change us and our paths in life. It's hard to say what I would be doing right now if Hippie3 did not start mycotopia, how different our lives might be. We took part in a special time a place in history, and that is his gift to us. RIP H3..

Felix
  • rocketman likes this

#18 suckerfree

suckerfree

GATE KEEPER

• Expired Member
  • 3,014 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 December 2009 - 10:08 AM

Why am I crying over a man I've never met or talked to IRL? Because over the 8 years Hippie has influenced and molded me into the person I am today. I truly believe I am more patient, forgiving, understanding, loving, and a seeker of truth and I owe it all to Hippie3 and my friends from here.

#19 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,294 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 December 2009 - 10:44 AM

3, I love you! YOu have been one of the most influential people in my life for the past 7 years. It did not take me long to realize just how special you are. YOu care deeply about the way a person navigates through life. You sometimes were tough but it was love and it was fair. You opened my eyes in many ways. SHining the light was just one of those ways. I can honestly say I am a better person because of you.
These words do not seem appropriate to tell the world how I feel about you. I dont think any words would do.
You live on through the words of wisdom you touched us all with. I will never forget you.

You will be deeply missed and you will always be loved.

#20 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 10:49 AM

I walk with Death today
His pale shadow has dimmed the light of the world
and those fair blossoms
he has gathered to his breast
leave a void where their beauty
has been stolen away