Posted 07 January 2006 - 05:17 PM

peat moss would be your best bet

#63 aettis

aettis

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 152 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 12:39 PM

Is coir only used to spawn to as a bulk substrate? Or can it be steralized in pressure cooker, inoculated and then cased? Just curious. Because if so, I want to Incolate WBS and Coir Jars (seperate) and then when ready to case mixed the two fully colonized jars of substrates and case with 60/40 peat/verm with hydrated lime for a buffer. Or I just might stick with casing WBS...the possiblities must be endless!! Thanks to all.

-Aettis

#64 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 11 February 2006 - 01:37 PM

I like to use coir for rez-effect type spawning. I'd say it'd be better for you to just spawn the wbs jars to moistened coir. Then case after colonization. I've done this before with nice results on the flushes. Coir has a nice texture to it that the mycelium seems to love. I have never inoculated a jar of coir. I'm not sure its got the nutrients needed to start spores, or liquid culture for that matter.

Ahhh, but these are my lone thoughts, hopefully others will give ya some good coir opinions :)

Happy growing :)

#65 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 February 2006 - 01:37 PM

Coir is used because it holds a lot of water and has a fluffy consistency. Coir, by itself, is not enough food for mycelia. BRF or WBS are good food sources to put in a jar.

A bulk substrate also contains food. Some kind of poo will make a good mix with coir. The coir is used primarily to fluff the substrate and hold water to support good sized fruit bodies.

A good plan is to innoculate WBS jars and then either crumble and case or just bury the tube of colonized seed in casing.

If you want to try a bulk substrate, 50/50 worm castings/coir is a nice mix. Just make sure not to over hydrate. A big handful of bulk substrate should just drip a few drops when you squeeze it very hard.

If you do bulk, you would colonize the jars and then crumble 1:3 into sterilized/pasteurized substrate, cover and incubate again. A casing layer is good thing, but is also optional.

#66 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 09:22 AM

coir is an additive, not a true substrate.
you can mix it with your wbs after full colonization
but don't waste time/effort trying to colonize jars of coir.

#67 Grateful_soldier

Grateful_soldier

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 132 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 10:16 PM

I know this is an old thread but I just found it and have a question, how long should it soak before it expands and all chunks fall apart? a FOAF has had his soaking about 24 hours and still in pretty tight chunks......longer? can it be used when still in "chunk" form?

#68 anticheffy

anticheffy

Nice to be back in the air !

• OG VIP
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 10:20 PM

wow mine is all broke up in 15 min or so

#69 arezap

arezap

Underfunded evil genius

• Expired Member
  • 593 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 11:14 PM

Me too anticheffy. A gallon of hot water and 15 mins or so later it is all broken up.

#70 altered_states

altered_states

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 480 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 01:11 AM

i think maybe folks should just stop
pasturizing their coir casings.

Assuming that a new bag of verm is being used, would you recommend separately pasteurizing/sterilizing the verm for coir/verm casings?
I usually nuke moistened verm in order to sterilize.
I've seen some nice results using 100% verm, straight out of the bag, as the casing layer, but I've also seen some forest green...
Not sure if it was my technique or dumb luck when it worked.
I'm about to case a compost tub (from the Wagner) with coir/verm.
Trying to limit variables as much as possible, since I'm new to steam pasteurization.

Cold water/bleach soak for the verm, perhaps???

#71 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 10:01 AM

a brand new bag of verm should be pretty much good to go as casing,
i never bothered pasteurizing it.

#72 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 10:14 AM

When I first came up with my spawning technique for coir, not one time did I ever pasteurize it. Now I do it because of the additives I put in it.

#73 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 10:16 AM

what kind of additives using ?

#74 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 10:29 AM

Mostly coffee grinds. If you don't pasteurize the coir mixed with coffee grinds, it will explode with trich if the ph isn't adjusted high.

#75 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 15 March 2006 - 10:40 AM

Oz claims that he never pasteurizes his coir. He simply uses hot tap water to hydrate it.

#76 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 10:42 AM

Mostly coffee grinds. If you don't pasteurize the coir mixed with coffee grinds, it will explode with trich if the ph isn't adjusted high.

makes sense, good point.
i don't use coffee grounds anyway but some do.

#77 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 10:36 PM

http://www.composter...wncare2.html#cb

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!