karlfinn

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 07:41 AM

i'd love to see some pix of your tek in action
================================
Hippie,
I'll be getting some pics of the whole lab/shop up asap or when I get back into action...and post to the appropriate forum.??.
=====================================
also forgot that with the tubing logs the excess water will collect in the bottom where it should run out if you've punctured it down there..
also , way back, used to put this mix in pillow cases, and into the washer without the agitator, three bags spaced apart and put on spin cycle, drains fast and well if in a hurry..I think this has been covered here before so excuse the repeat if so.Old washers around here are $25 and always good for doing the bags and rags too.

#22 highflyer

highflyer

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 423 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 10:58 PM

I do not recommend more poo simply on the basis that it has more nutrients. My experience has shown that mycelium likes poo better than straw. I assume its because of the nutrients.

Many of you know that I am not a fan of prebagged manure. It will not colonize like field manure will. Field manure will colonize like a large cake. Bagged manure will not colonize nearly as well. I would agree to use a smaller ratio of maure if you are using the bagged manure. I would definately go with a higher ratio of poo if you are using field manure.

#23 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 11:05 PM

I would agree to use a smaller ratio of maure if you are using the bagged manure. I would definately go with a higher ratio of poo if you are using field manure.

point conceded.
you're absolutely right, as usual.
thx

#24 chill

chill

celtic tiger

• Expired Member
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 12:53 AM

There is a horse farm not too far from here but the poo is fresh.

I have to bag it myself(not a problem) but what do I do with it when I get it home?

How long does it have to sit? Does it need to be dry or can I mix it with compost and leave it outside for a year?

#25 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 01:08 PM

field manure just needs to be dried for use,
aging not really required

#26 chill

chill

celtic tiger

• Expired Member
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 11:13 PM

Well, I can't find my digicam #!&^%!

So no pics but I did get the weight: 206g wet.

Looked beautiful too.

Can't wait for my tax return so I can get a new camera.

#27 nomoreusmc

nomoreusmc

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 940 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 11:54 PM

sounds messy

#28 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 11:01 PM

i really need a new digi cam too
mine's old, takes crappy pix
and i can't find the cable connection ...

#29 chill

chill

celtic tiger

• Expired Member
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 04:07 AM

Just started another straw project.

Ratio of straw / poo / water was 6:2:1. Oven pasteurized at 200F for 50 minutes. Poo is composted steer manure.

I am interested in figuring out the ratios for 'field capacity" moisture content. Substrate came out of the oven damp but did not drip when squeezed.

If anyone can give me some idea of ratios I'd appreciate it as I'll be doing another straw project in about two weeks.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!