57 replies to this topic

#1 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 January 2010 - 05:48 AM

I like to keep things basic if possible, and I love the advantages of getting easily printable and very clean caps from invitro cakes. I did not want to invest in quart canning jars and set up an elaborate grow space. So I bought these plastic quarts at a Dollar Store, poked 4 nail-size holes along the perimeter of the lids, and just set them on a flat surface. After a few months of using these, I can say that they work pretty well. These are Redboy multispore 1/2 pint cakes.

This is just the Chronic Tek simplified. Nothing innovative, just user friendly.

Thanks for checking it out.

Attached Thumbnails

• Chronic Cakes III.JPG
  • Chronic Cakes 1.JPG
  • Chronic Cakes 2.JPG

• 0omnidirectional, theycallmejake, torn2bits and 5 others like this

#2 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 January 2010 - 06:25 AM

Ahhhh u invitro masta...:bow:
Love seeing your invitro grows
good job man
PBK
  • MLBjammer and MycoPsychonaut like this

#3 Om shanti

Om shanti

S.W.I.M. in H.POO

• Expired Member
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 06:32 AM

Very nice and K.I.S.S. results! :bow:

Hope they're tasty!! (to the mind if not to the tongue :-) )

#4 paph

paph

Future Sailor

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,530 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 January 2010 - 06:48 AM

Very nice.:bow:

#5 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 08 January 2010 - 07:00 AM

I like to keep things basic if possible, and I love the advantages of getting easily printable and very clean caps from invitro cakes. I did not want to invest in quart canning jars and set up an elaborate grow space. So I bought these plastic quarts at a Dollar Store, poked 4 nail-size holes along the perimeter of the lids, and just set them on a flat surface. After a few months of using these, I can say that they work pretty well. These are Redboy multispore 1/2 pint cakes.

This is just the Chronic Tek simplified. Nothing innovative, just user friendly.

Thanks for checking it out.

only difference is chronic tek uses risers made from pvc to elevate the cake off the bottom preventing it from going anaerobic. you dont need holes at all if doing chronic tek i am guessing enough air curculates uderneath the cake for the holes not being neccesary... a 3/4" long piece of 2" pvc piping is what chronic used, if memory serves me right.

excellent post, and great harvest! you can get these containers for free at the deli. just buy a 7 dollar sandwich and say hey my kid needs a bunch of these quart sized containers for his school project or to store his markers in or no excuse at all and just ask them for A Dozen containers, they usually dont mind. i found a link (dooby has it) for a gross / case of these for like 40 bucks or less. thats 144 containers. theyre called tall hdpe deli containers, i believe.

#6 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 January 2010 - 09:05 AM

Thanks for all the kind remarks.

Nice tip, Cap. I never thought about asking the grocery store for them!

As far as differing from Chronic's original tek, yes, these containers are very light and do not appear to require risers. I experimented with using them and found that it made no difference. Now with the heavier canning jars, it's a different story.

As far as the yields, it's about the same as an FC grow, maybe a little better than regular invitro. The fruits are far easier to harvest than 1/2 pint grown ones.

The trip from this strain is very strong for cubies. I have grown AMZ, BPK, B+, and GTs side-by side with these, and the Redboys are just stronger.

Again, thanks to all who commented. Peace.

Edited by MLBjammer, 10 February 2010 - 08:58 AM.

• meyer likes this

#7 tryptaminer

tryptaminer

at this for life

• Expired Member
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 11:20 AM

simple, but this should probably wind up in the vaults?
  • MLBjammer and torn2bits like this

#8 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,971 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 January 2010 - 12:55 PM

Excellent work MLB.

I use yogurt containers a lot to. There are many different ways of setting them up and ways of getting FAE into them.

Here's a bunch of styles I use.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

See the paper towel inside the containers ? I use that to keep humidity up. I originally got the idea from TV-C's towel tek. First you mist the inner walls of the container and then lay 2 or 3 layers of paper towel strategically. It clings to the walls well. When you want high humidity mist the paper towel and it will stay moist for a couple days. I haven't seen a contam on paper towel or toilet paper that i've used. If you don't mist the paper towel it will still cling to the walls , which is nice.

One of the most important elements of using yogurt-style containers for fruiting is the FAE holes that you put in. Its better to "set & forget" then to be opening the dome all the time. With properly placed holes of the right size you can fan from outside the dome.

Here's a tip:

Some of these conatiners PC just fine with their lids on , not sure which ones your using MLB or how good they PC ... If you use containers with common yogurt-type lids , those lids will have a hard time withstanding PC'ing (they get hard and brittle or crack). To get around this I use tinfoil for a lid while PC'ing. When thats done I replace the tinfoil with a shiny , clean lid. This switch can be done in a glovebox , or open-air if your really clean.

Great use of recycling MLB. Thanks for posting this.

:bow:
  • 0omnidirectional and mushmonkey like this

#9 tbonus

tbonus

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 02:33 PM

Nice grow MLBjammer.You def got invitro down:eusa_clap
  • MLBjammer likes this

#10 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 January 2010 - 06:28 PM

I never really considered it as recycling the containers, but I got the notion from using fruit containers from the grocery store. And the paper towels for humidity do work great! I tried that a few times and never once saw a contam.

Thanks for all the kind words--and tips.

#11 XxMushroomsxX

XxMushroomsxX

Myco. Thumper

• Free Member
  • 391 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 06:38 PM

Hell ya man looks good

#12 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:38 AM

Here's a 3rd flush of some Redboy multispore cakes. Time to dunk!

Attached Thumbnails

• Simple invitro 009.JPG
  • Simple invitro 008.JPG
  • Simple invitro 007.JPG

• meyer likes this

#13 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:38 AM

Those two cakes put out about 80 grams wet, so it should be around a quarter dry. Not too bad, and I should get a few decent prints.

Thanks for taking a look.

#14 Om shanti

Om shanti

S.W.I.M. in H.POO

• Expired Member
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 12:02 PM

Very nice fruits, MLBjammer!! :loveeyes: :headbang:

#15 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,971 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2010 - 12:04 PM

Excellent Bammer !

Sweet ...

#16 tryptaminer

tryptaminer

at this for life

• Expired Member
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 01:57 PM

a couple fruits on the move, via simple invitro tek ..

the bigger one hsa some strange deformity going on? bummed, because SWIM anticipated making prints from that one ..

just sat the container on a dresser under a shaded window... simple enough

thanks jammer :)

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00002.jpg

#17 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 February 2010 - 04:51 AM

That looks great, man. Thank you for sharing. Feel free to post as much as you like in this thread.

#18 mushmonkey

mushmonkey

Phantom Psychonaut

• OG VIP
  • 778 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 04:36 PM

Groovy grow! :dance:

#19 Drippy

Drippy

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 12:00 AM

I like it simple...very nice.
  • MLBjammer likes this

#20 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 12:10 AM

4 grams per cake, is really good! You've officially inspired me to do some cakes. Been a long while.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!