#21 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 February 2010 - 04:28 AM

Gosh, Lazlo, I am honored, man.

I will try to snap some pics of the Falbino cakes I am growing currently, and I should have those up this evening.

Thanks for all the comments!

#22 Mrs.Hippie3

Mrs.Hippie3

QueenBee

• Founders
  • 11,598 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 February 2010 - 11:55 AM

They look great. So you do not double end case ?

#23 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:32 PM

Thank you for the comment, Mrs. H. No, I don't case these. I simply put them in the containers, harvest, dunk, and go for another flush. I tried DECing 1/2 pint invitro jars, and that seemed to encourage contams, so I never messed with it. Given that these quart-size containers provide more headspace and air exchange, I might try an experiment with a few cakes.

#24 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 February 2010 - 06:54 PM

Here's one of my Falbino BRF cakes. I think it's a second flush. This strain pops out some big ones, but I have yet to take a trip on them. The other pics are of a small monotub on its 3rd or 4th flush. The strain there is Redboy, from a multispore inoculation of 2 quarts of popcorn (50% donkey doo, 30% coir, 20% vermiculite) and the Falbinos on this round are also from multispore. I am going to start up a few isolates very soon.

Thanks for looking! Sorry about the shaky pics. I am still learning with the digital camera.

Attached Thumbnails

• Falb 009.JPG
  • Falb 004.JPG
  • Falb 005.JPG
  • Falb 006.JPG
  • Falb 008.JPG

#25 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• OG VIP
  • 12,355 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:38 PM

:bow:

Righteous MLB!!!!!!

#26 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:37 PM

if you get any prints off those let a brother know! excellent work!

#27 Weezy

Weezy

Man, i wish i had pants

• Validating
  • 45 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 12:42 AM

sweet man, lots of inspiration in this thread.

im gonna use big plastic 1 gallon pickle jars, put moist perlite in the bottom and poke some holes in the side and put either medical tape or i think its called polyfill over/in the holes. really i think medical tape would breath well and keep all the nasties out... has anyone just used anything close before?

#28 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 26 February 2010 - 04:08 AM

sweet man, lots of inspiration in this thread.

im gonna use big plastic 1 gallon pickle jars, put moist perlite in the bottom and poke some holes in the side and put either medical tape or i think its called polyfill over/in the holes. really i think medical tape would breath well and keep all the nasties out... has anyone just used anything close before?

heya...if i were you, id read chronic tek before you start this project.
he does not use perlite, rather a riser to keep the cake off the bottom.
if you use perlite, it can dehydrate your cakes if resting directly on top of the perlite, so be sure to keep the perlite watered/moistened regularly, especially with all those holes for air exchange, which will lead to much quicker drying-out. cakes do not require all the fresh air exchange that bulk substrate or casing projects do, dont forget. letting a cake sweat in a jar that you open only to provide fresh air exchange as you mist as needed should be sufficient. invitro jars are NEVER opened and have barely any holes on top for fresh air exchange. co2 is your friend, invitro.

#29 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 February 2010 - 05:25 AM

Thank y'all for the comments. And I will be printing at some point, and I will certainly keep you in mind, Cap.

Weezy, this particular variation on chronic is very simple. There are four nail-size holes around the perimeter of the bottom of the plastic quarts which allow enough air exchange. Because the containers are so light, I don't even need a riser. I just set the cake on the lid and only open it to harvest. If you are using pickle jars, you would want to use a riser and and follow the original chronic tek more closely. You can grow cakes with perlite on the bottom, but you would have to perform a lot more maintenance--and you couldn't really call it invitro at that point.

#30 shiitakegrower

shiitakegrower

VIP Member

• OG VIP
  • 454 posts

Donator

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:48 AM

Question about your bulk there. What are you doing for FAE? Also I noticed a lot of people use the black plasic to line the bottom, is there a tec that addresses that? How is it cleaned prior to the grow?
Amazing invitro though seems like that would be one of the best ways to get clean prints.

#31 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 28 February 2010 - 08:39 PM

Here's one of my Falbino BRF cakes. I think it's a second flush. This strain pops out some big ones, but I have yet to take a trip on them.

:teeth: let us know how it goes when you try.

those look like the back crossed version. they tend to get large and seem to drop more of the lavender colored spores. especially from the more leucistic caps.

very nice work.

:heart:

#32 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 March 2010 - 06:35 AM

Question about your bulk there. What are you doing for FAE? Also I noticed a lot of people use the black plasic to line the bottom, is there a tec that addresses that? How is it cleaned prior to the grow?
Amazing invitro though seems like that would be one of the best ways to get clean prints.

This is my bulk tek, very simple with no maintenance between harvest/dunk: http://mycotopia.net...onotub-tek.html

Yes, Chronic is a great way to get very clean prints and tissue. And it also involves zero day-to-day maintenance.

As far as the black plastic trash bags, you can wipe them down with rubbing alcohol before use. I think I have forgotten to do this a time or two and saw no ill effects.

Thanks for the kind words!

#33 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 March 2010 - 06:40 AM

:teeth: let us know how it goes when you try.

those look like the back crossed version. they tend to get large and seem to drop more of the lavender colored spores. especially from the more leucistic caps.

very nice work.

:heart:

:bow::bow::bow:

That made my day, TCO. They are indeed the Falbino Crossback. I have a bunch of this to work with, probably gonna try to focus on it for a few years.

I have not had the chance to eat any of these yet, but I am wondering if they are stronger than the normal cubie, in similar ways to PE or Redboy? I will know soon enough.

#34 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,716 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 March 2010 - 08:32 AM

Thanks for this MLB. I saw it before when you posted in another thread about it but not in this much detail.

Clean prints and tissue eh? Sounds pretty good.

I also love how neat everything is. No verm or perlite getting all over everything.

#35 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 March 2010 - 06:50 PM

My pleasure. This is such a simple method and a pretty "clean" way to grow fruits for tissue and prints. I suppose you could double-end case these; I have not tried, but I do know that more cakes seemed to contam. when I tried DECing 1/2 pints a few years ago.

Personally, if I don't have to deal with a perlite/coir/vermiculite mess and still produce decent flushes, I will take that option.

Thanks for checking out the thread.

#36 tryptaminer

tryptaminer

at this for life

• Expired Member
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:32 PM

I know you're really against keeping contamed anything jammer, but SWIM isolated a cake that had trich in a container like this, and it actually got better, and fruited like no tomorrow
it got its own place to live with a nice environment without jeopardizing all the others

it's excellent to isolate cakes like this if you're reluctant about just junking them... salted and placed in here.. first and only time SWIM has beat a contam... got about a quarter from this cake !

just a heads up for those of you who don't quit on the contam battle front

#37 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 March 2010 - 08:05 AM

Hey, that is a wonderful outcome.

Usually, cakes that are very old will come down with a spot of trich, so I will tape the holes and just toss the container and all. The thing about trich is that it never really goes away. I bet you will see it again before that cake is spent.

#38 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 09 March 2010 - 01:12 PM

:bow::bow::bow:

That made my day, TCO. They are indeed the Falbino Crossback. I have a bunch of this to work with, probably gonna try to focus on it for a few years.

I have not had the chance to eat any of these yet, but I am wondering if they are stronger than the normal cubie, in similar ways to PE or Redboy? I will know soon enough.

potency is close to PE, or PFA. a pleasant joyful experience imo. full of 'topias good energies :D

i'm very glad you'll be working with them. they are far from done evolving i believe. it will be interesting to see where they go from here.. and i don't spend a lot of time with cubies anymore.. so thank you :bow:

:love:

#39 0omnidirectional

0omnidirectional

0omnitologist

• Expired Member
  • 143 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 02:04 PM

I like to keep things basic if possible, and I love the advantages of getting easily printable and very clean caps from invitro cakes. I did not want to invest in quart canning jars and set up an elaborate grow space. So I bought these plastic quarts at a Dollar Store, poked 4 nail-size holes along the perimeter of the lids, and just set them on a flat surface. After a few months of using these, I can say that they work pretty well. These are Redboy multispore 1/2 pint cakes.

This is just the Chronic Tek simplified. Nothing innovative, just user friendly.

Thanks for checking it out.

I've done an invitro grow using quart sized canning jars before. Your method looks far better because they are so wide at the bottom. Even with the wide mouth canning jars the bottom is more narrow than the top. So when you pull it out it damages the mushrooms, even knocking them off sometimes. It makes it fae difficult.
Since this is made of plastic, I can easily put holes in it. And since it is so wide at the bottom, I can open it without damaging.

You have inspired me to start a new project.

#40 kocos

kocos

The PsYhead

• Expired Member
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 02:17 PM

Superb work man :bow: Keep it goinnn!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!