57 replies to this topic

#41 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:29 AM

I've done an invitro grow using quart sized canning jars before. Your method looks far better because they are so wide at the bottom. Even with the wide mouth canning jars the bottom is more narrow than the top. So when you pull it out it damages the mushrooms, even knocking them off sometimes. It makes it fae difficult.
Since this is made of plastic, I can easily put holes in it. And since it is so wide at the bottom, I can open it without damaging.

You have inspired me to start a new project.

Thanks for the feedback. You can generally obtain these containers for nothing at most grocery stores.

#42 calistoner

calistoner

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 760 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 07:52 PM

love the looks of those invitro shrooms.

:bow: the more i scour mycotopia for knowledge the more i respect you jammer.

just curious, do you mind sh
aring the recipe you used to fill your jars and tub?:weedpoke:

#43 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 April 2010 - 02:23 AM

Thanks for the kind words. My cakes are simple--1/2 cup vermiculite, 1/4 cup brown rice flour, and 1/4 cup spring water. My tubs are popcorn spawned to horsepoo (50%), coir (30%) and vermiculite (20%).

#44 Libre

Libre

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 468 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 07:31 AM

Excellent job man, beautiful!

#45 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• Expired Member
  • 12,219 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 07:46 AM

Archive material

:cool:

#46 tryptaminer

tryptaminer

at this for life

• Expired Member
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:38 PM

haha told ya jammer!

#47 koldj

koldj

Wounded Healer

• Expired Member
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:56 PM

Here's one of my Falbino BRF cakes. I think it's a second flush. This strain pops out some big ones, but I have yet to take a trip on them.

Man, they're awesome. Mycobri posted them recently as Cambo but they were Falbinos. My friend grew them and they were sweet! You'll even enjoy their taste.

Perfect grows man. I didn't expect so much from in vitro but you're proving it's totally worth it.

#48 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 April 2010 - 06:43 PM

Wow, I never thought one of my threads would be vault-worthy. I am kind of stunned right now . . .

So thank you all for allowing me the venue to learn and share here.

As far as the Falbino, I got a nasty bacterial contam. in most of the cakes and some tubs as well. I did manage to get a few prints before it all went south, so hopefully I can revive the strain, but for now it's back to Redboys.

The Falbs are quite beautiful, though. And they put out some monsters, pretty potent, too.

#49 tryptaminer

tryptaminer

at this for life

• Expired Member
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 06:47 PM

plenty of your shit will find it's way into the vaults it's in your nature, I'm sure many would agree you have the ability to teach proper technique, nicely!

got some simple invitro pic's coming soon been dyin to share
  • MLBjammer likes this

#50 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 May 2010 - 09:59 AM

One side note on using this method: I have had a few issues with water pooling on the lids, so every few days I crack the lid just a bit and let any excess moisture drain out (you could also simply tilt the jars over a sink and excess water would drain through the air holes). The pooling occurs when fruits are maturing, creating a heavier micro-climate in the quarts and the potential for bacterial issues.

Otherwise, this is a great lazy man's method for small- to mid-scale cultivation.

#51 MrChen

MrChen

Rocky Mountain High

• Expired Member
  • 2,098 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 10:55 AM

Yes MLB I agree you :headbang: the invitro.

Many times I have used a version of this with success. I also will crack the jars every now and then if I see excess water pooling. This tek rules for small closet, under the bed, old 'fridge, stealthy, etc kind of grows.

#52 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 May 2010 - 12:23 PM

Hey, thanks a lot, Chen. I am honored by your vote of confidence!

#53 my7k

my7k

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 04:40 PM

A great idea. I'm so impressed, I never thought of how clean of a print you could get. Making my own syringes has always been terrifying. Terrifying.:horse:

And the plastic containers! So much better than bulky glass quart jars. Never would have thought of it though. Thanks!:headbang:

#54 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 May 2010 - 04:55 PM

:bow::bow::bow:

I was surprised at how well they worked, too. And there was some experimentation before I came up with this. Lately, I am finding that pint containers work darn well, too, just a little more "invitro" in appearance and tougher to print.

#55 Guest_valleyofmushies_*

Guest_valleyofmushies_*

Posted 29 May 2010 - 05:51 PM

i like the size of those fruits jammer.
i did this once, used a qt jar after reading i think a post of urs
but i didn't fan enough or something cause they were small
http://mycotopia.net...-101010-003.jpg

the strain i used was GT and man i saw some better ones out of tub,
my question i'm editing this to ask is---
is Redboy a C02 tolerant strain?????
i was reading in "high times" the other day and saw those stupid kits that u order,
one said to just untie or do something and spores will mix in, give dark, then give light and enjoy your co2 tolerant mushrooms , as if the strain was special. wonder first ,
is this true about some strains growing like that????, it said don't open the bag till done.!my thoughts were how big could that strain get if u did :)
and is redboy a strain like that,
i also understand a number of reasons could have stunted mine's growth,
after wat u see in the pic above ,one did touch the top of jar and really started bending, but they were so skinny

Edited by valleyofmushies, 29 May 2010 - 06:00 PM.

#56 fighttest

fighttest

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 04:54 AM

terrific, thanks alot!

#57 deeproots

deeproots

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 04:19 PM

Very nice + clean method. Thanks for sharing! Question about the FAE holes -- can you give more details about where you place them? Ie: in the bottom of the container, which would be the top of the FC, or at the bottom when standing as in your photos?

Does it matter where the air is exchanging? How close to cake, etc?

Thanks!

#58 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,598 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 April 2011 - 05:06 AM

deeproots,

the holes go in the lid of the containers, which would be on the bottom when it's all set up. He said to put them around the perimeter, so put them at the edge, although I'd imagine you want to put them right inside of the lip of the lid.
  • MLBjammer likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!