Paradox
©
Fisana

- - - - -

I Don't wanna come right out and say that "I Hate Cops!!", But I am being left with little choice....

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_joey_*

Guest_joey_*

Posted 07 November 2003 - 07:11 PM

This ACTUALLY happened here were I live yesterday.
There is just no hope sometimes.

Ash-flicking driver cited for littering
DISPUTE: Palmer man claims he broke no laws; vows to fight $60 ticket.

By ZAZ HOLLANDER
Anchorage Daily News

(Published: November 7, 2003)

PALMER -- The next time you think about tossing trash out the car window, consider the plight of a Palmer man ticketed for tossing cigarette ash on the roadway.

Early Wednesday morning, Troy Woods III flicked a glowing cigarette ember from his pickup window as he drove home from working the graveyard shift as an electrician in Anchorage. That flick earned Woods a $60 ticket for littering, plus a day in court for driving with a suspended license.

Woods, 24, was traveling north on the Glenn Highway just as Alaska State Trooper Mike Burkmire pulled onto the road and started his shift about 5:15 a.m. Wednesday.

In the pre-dawn dark, Burkmire said, it was easy to see the shower of sparks bouncing off the road as Woods flicked his ash from his cigarette once, then about a half-mile up the road flipped the glowing orange "cherry" of burning embers off the cigarette's tip.

Woods swerved a little, his 1992 Dodge pickup briefly crossing the white fog line and the rumble strip, and then swerved back to the center, Burkmire said.

The trooper pulled him over at Mile 38 of the Glenn, near the gravel pits on the way into Palmer.

Woods was fine and perfectly sober, Burkmire said, but none too happy to be cited for littering.

"He basically denied throwing his cigarette out the window because he still had the butt in his hand," he said. "He denied that was actually littering."

Woods, reached at his home Thursday night, said he couldn't believe the trooper gave him a ticket for either offense.

He said he makes a point of not tossing his butts out the window when he drives.

"I don't throw cigarette butts out," Woods said. "I knock the cherry off and I put them in the trash."

Woods said he did not know his license was suspended, and that he plans to contest both citations.

Troopers do not track littering citations, and agency spokesman Greg Wilkinson said he has no idea how many littering tickets troopers write.

But Burkmire, who has worked out of the Palmer post for nine years, said drivers often get pulled over in similar situations, especially at night when the glowing tip of a cigarette or cigar flying from a vehicle window is more easily observed.

And a driver doesn't have to do anything else to merit a stop.

Burkmire said he'll pull someone over "just simply for the act of littering."

Reporter Zaz Hollander can be reached at [email protected].

Posted Image

#2 Guest_philnweird_*

Guest_philnweird_*

Posted 08 November 2003 - 12:20 AM

I feel ya Joey. One of those absurdities that we are forced to deal with on any given day.

#3 Guest_erebus_*

Guest_erebus_*

Posted 08 November 2003 - 12:44 AM

Personally I find it disgusting to see cigarette butts laying all over the side of any road. People who throw their cigarette butts out of the window should be fined in my opinion.

However, I know that the guy who was fined only flicked the cherry out. If your friend/whoever in the story really does put the butts in the ashtray, than that is really cool and its bullshit that he would be charged for it. When I smoked cigarettes I would always put them in the ashtray.

I hope anyone here who throws their cig butts out the window thinks before they do it first. Walking along the side of the road is pretty nasty, it is covered in butts, and if people continue to do so it will just build up forever.

Anyway enough of the litter rant.

#4 Guest_jinzo_*

Guest_jinzo_*

Posted 08 November 2003 - 01:21 AM

Don't know what the climate is like up there right now but after seeing what happened in Cali it wouldn't surprise me that he got a ticket (if it was dry out, I know it's Alaska and all but the devil called and said "Hey, Jinzo, get on mycotopia and be my advocate....Um kay?" and said "no" and he was all like "You son of a bitch, remember that time you wanted a favor..." and I was like "Yeah, what have you done for me lately huh?" and he said "pretty please with sugar and spice and every thing nice?" and I was all "OK dude, but stop calling me on my cell. It's costing me a fortune ass-master." and he said "Deal" and hung up.....So here I am.)

Yes it's a very boring Friday night for Jinzo =(

#5 Guest_joey_*

Guest_joey_*

Posted 08 November 2003 - 02:15 AM

Guys not my friend, just an article in the paper.

But yeah it was JUST an Ash, the cop admits he had the butt in his hand...........

complete asanine BULLSHIT!!!

An ash
that completley dissopates when hitting the ground figuring in that the car was moving.

wheres the evidence going to be???

nowhere....there is none.

as far as firestarting??? it is alaska and winter time, dont think that has a chance.

Even in the summer, just a cherry flicked out a window of a car going 50-60 mph?, I suppose it is possible.......but very very highly unlikely.

Yeah litterbugs suck.....
but this isn't about litter

It's about a rotten ass cop with a chip on his shoulder who woke up in a bad mood, and decided to take it out the first person he saw.

And seeing as though he's a cop.............He's completly justified.

Posted Image

#6 shroomzhilla

shroomzhilla

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 250 posts

Posted 08 November 2003 - 03:28 AM

As a biker... almost nuff said. but people throw all kinds of shit out thier windows and d o all kinds of shit that they never think of whats really happenning outside the noise of the rado/stereo, whats gonna happen when they hit the window wash, or more importantly, hug the side of the road kicking up all kindsa shit. yeah on a bike it might tottally be a severe hazard, but in a less drastic sense it HAS to be hell on the car behind yu as far as paint and vision is concerned.
but as a biker I always tell everyone to look out PLEASE!!!!! for those in your "draft"!!!
I see more shit from my bike than I ever did from my car and its appalling how narrow a plane of existence there is with some people.
I have heard a belly full of black, oriental, senior citizen jokes to gag a maggot!!! but one thing I have really kept a tally on as far as catagory drivers is the larger ford drivers are a true menace in a whole. first you gotta be infirm to buy a ford, lucky to get a licence, and one of the ninety nine percent of self centered jerk-offs that like to cut-off, ignore, eat your mascarra at the wheel. the ten percent I have recorded being dickweeds in trucks from GM I attribute to ford owners thatr borrow their smarter friends trucks for the day!
This is a very carefully studied thing and chrysler has yet to be mentioned as they rarely have time out of the garage to make a pain of themselves.
you can take this as humor-but us chevy folks know the truth,hahaha

#7 Guest_pbeester_*

Guest_pbeester_*

Posted 08 November 2003 - 05:22 AM

LOL @ Zhilla! Yeah, I'll admit, when I'm driving sometimes I do throw out cig butts, but when there is a cop behind me I do put them in the ashtray. I'll try to be much more conscious of my bad habit and the funny thing is, when I am at an outdoor festival, I always knock the cherry off and throw away the butts or keep them in my pocket til I can. When I'm driving down the road, I need to be more earth minded.
PB

#8 Guest_philnweird_*

Guest_philnweird_*

Posted 08 November 2003 - 12:18 PM

LOL PB! I always have a pocket full of butts at festies too. Posted Image
Kinda disgusting I guess, but then the whole smoking thing is. Someday I'll quit.......

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!