Aluminium ski-pole, 4 holes, tube, bottle.
Remove plug, suck end of hose to start, insert hose and go.
The natural movement of lifting the stick and placing it again lifts and drops fluid inside the column/pole creating a natural spurt of pressure after the tip has entered the ground!!
Positive hole clearing agitation with each ground penetration.Supplies
- Aluminium ski-pole ~ $used?
- Drill, 1/16", 3/16" and 3/8" bits.
- 3 to 4 inches 18 or 20 gauge wire.
- Twig to make stopper.
- Small magnet.
- 2 litre pop bottle.
- 6~7 feet 1/8"-ID hose ~ $2
- Nail, hammer, pliers.
Drills that slip usually aim for the centre of my thumb. Time
< 1/2 hour.Doing
1. Inoculant exit hole
Slide magnet from steel tip of pole up onto aluminium until it 'tugs' - this will be the end of the hardened steel tip insert hidden under the aluminum.
Make mark 1/8"~1/4" further up the pole.
Use nail and hammer to tap a starter divet.
Drill through wall of aluminium using 1/16" bit. Just one side not all the way through.http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1278081584
2. Hole cleaning apparatus & flow damper
Insert the wire straight into the hole as far as it goes, wrap the wire around the pole tightly.http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1278081584http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1278081584
3. Inoculant intake
Drill 3/8" hole into top of ski pole handle
aiming to the middle of the aluminium pole.http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1278081584
Drill two 3/16" holes into cap of 2 litre bottle - this is the trickiest, expect the cap to spin out from your fingers. Use pliers here.
Twist and push 1/8"-ID hose through one cap hole to reach bottom of pop bottle.
Find twig about the size of the other 3/16" cap-hole. Keeps inoculant from sloshing out until you're ready to use. Wet wood swells, plugs well.http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1278081584
Fill with spore water, thin slurry or LC.
Start by removing cap-plug.
Suck on hose until fluid comes.
Insert hose into the 3/8" handle-hole and slide well in (~2 feet).
Make sure reservoir is higher than the hose end inside the ski-pole - backpack works, flow should continue without further attention.
If pole overflows, pinch hose.http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1278081584NOTES
- different wire thickness's for different flow and inoculant type. I find 18~20 gauge good in 1/16" hole good for 'water'.
- ski pole fluid level should rise while you use it (discharge at tip is slower than filling from reservoir). More liquid weight gives more squirt.
- funnel fill ski-pole with inoculant and use twig stopper or thumb over handle-hole if you don't want the whole reservoir deal.
- a couple of spare wire sizes to adjust flow.
- shaking stick up and down works like squirt gun.
Edited by TastyBeverage, 02 July 2010 - 09:45 AM.
uploaded photos to topia