• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 Oblivion

Oblivion

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 05:47 PM

I just orderd 3 pounds of honey bees today. I pick them up April 17 and I can't wait. Any other bee keepers out there have advice for me?
  • shroom_seeker, Teonanacatl38 and euid like this

#2 roscoe

roscoe

Not a mycologist.

• OG VIP
  • 2,831 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 February 2010 - 06:42 PM

no advice, just a question. how many bees is 3 pounds? good luck on your new hobby!

#3 Mrs.Hippie3

Mrs.Hippie3

QueenBee

• Founders
  • 11,103 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 February 2010 - 06:49 PM

My neighbor is a beekeeper he give us some of his honey. I believe one of his queens built her colony in the wall of the house, there was honey dripping from the doorway for a while. My husband had mentioned getting a bee colony i told him he was on his own with that one im not getting nowhere near any hive.

#4 zodd

zodd

walk towards the light

• Expired Member
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 06:50 PM

:headbang::headbang:

awesome!!

last year i was looking into bee keeping. in the end it was the funds that stooped it from happening. i love bees and Honey.

you probably dont live in japan but i thought this would be good watching for you

30 hornets vs 30,000 bees

[Direct Link]

#5 Teonanacatl38

Teonanacatl38

Extradimentional Psilocypher

• Expired Member
  • 1,243 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 February 2010 - 06:58 PM

All I can say is..... :thumbup: Right on Brother :thumbup:

Iv wanted to do this for a while myself. I'm vegan, and technically that excludes honey...But that's the one thing i eat anyway, because I feel that it's so beneficial in so many ways. Especially honey that's created from all the living plant life within your ecological sphere.

Bee populations are suffering in many places, so i value your decision in that respect as well.

Best of luck in your new endeavor :bow:

#6 sunflower420

sunflower420

Mrs.captainpicard420 : )

• Expired Member
  • 88 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 07:01 PM

Hey Oblivion,

When you said that you ordered 3 lbs of bees does that come with one queen or two? Do you already have your bee hive or any of the bee supplies that you would need? My dad has had a bee hive since I was a young girl so I have spent many years around bees with my dad. When ever my dad would get into his bee hives he would use this bee smoker to make the bees more docile. Also he would always have two sections to his hives that way he when he wanted to get the honey out of one section he would put the bee food in the other section to get the bees out of the section he wanted to work with. Oh and the only protection that he really ever needed or used was a bee protective mask and gloves. The bees were actually very docile and they never stung me. If you have any specific questions just ask away. :) That is just some of the stuff that came off of the top of my head.
  • steeq likes this

#7 Teonanacatl38

Teonanacatl38

Extradimentional Psilocypher

• Expired Member
  • 1,243 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 February 2010 - 07:05 PM

For sure Sunflower.....

Everything becomes more docile when smoked out Posted Image

#8 Mrs.Hippie3

Mrs.Hippie3

QueenBee

• Founders
  • 11,103 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 February 2010 - 07:16 PM

Everything becomes more docile when smoked out

I know I do
:roll::rasta:

#9 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,658 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 February 2010 - 07:20 PM

ATTRA is a great site for sustainable agriculture. It has all kinds of info including commercial mushroom growing , soils , livestock , vegetables etc ...

Here's their main list of topics:

http://attra.ncat.org/publication.html

Here's their Beekeeping section:

http://attra.ncat.or...beekeeping.html

#10 Oblivion

Oblivion

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 07:30 PM

I believe one of his queens built her colony in the wall of the house, there was honey dripping from the doorway for a while.

That's funny and not so cool at the same time. I have a feeling my wife will be keeping her distance as well.
I think it comes with one queen, I really didn't ask but Im gonna find out. I have a starter kit on its way that includes a smoker and some basic protection. Im thinking Im gonna get another chamber like you said sunflower.

A vegan teon? I don't think I could do that, not that there is anything wrong with that, I just like to take full advantage of my omnivore status. I have read that honey is supposed to be off limits to vegan but that doesn't make any sense to me. Like you said, honey truly is a wonder thing. Not to mention the enhanced pollination of my garden and fruit trees. Ive also read that honey collected from your immediate area will help your body combat allergies. I don't suffer from them but my wife and kids do so Im hoping that it helps them out. For my part, I'll be making some mead I suppose.

#11 Oblivion

Oblivion

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 07:39 PM

Christ zodd, that was down right discouraging. Ive got quite a few bald face hornet hives on my land. They are real aggressive so I had better keep an eye out for such an attack. That link you posted hypha is pretty damned comprehensive. Im definitely going to read through the info there, thanks.

#12 roscoe

roscoe

Not a mycologist.

• OG VIP
  • 2,831 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 February 2010 - 08:12 PM

holy cow those bees did not stand a chance. 30,000 bees killed in three hours!!! man i would seek those hornets out and destroy them before they get your bees. what am i saying, im too chicken to go near a single hornet let alone a colony.

#13 Erkee

Erkee

Trolls'R'us

• Expired Member
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:24 PM

A friend had a hive under the eave of his house about two basketballs in volume. Beautiful, lush, heavy combs. But they were exposed and would perish in winter. I removed them to a stack of boxes and builder frames. Checked them regularly and they were busy. One day checking them I saw hundreds and hundreds of bees walking on the ground, radiating out about 40 feet from the hive, trying to fly. Some crawling up a blade of grass trying to launch. Looked close and saw tiny wings - they were babies! The bees had been busy the whole time relocating. Took everything but the babes. Didn't find the queen when I first boxed them up though.

A farmers market usually has a bee keeper or three selling honey. They can be a good friendly resource if you have problems.

Much success!

#14 SilvrHairDevil

SilvrHairDevil

Gatekeeper

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,838 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 10:15 PM

Let us know when you get to the Making Mead phase.

#15 claykrys

claykrys

Still at it

• Expired Member
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 10:20 PM

If you have any farmers around that raise corn or alfalfa they might let you put boxes near their crops to help with pollination. On the same note, don't let them around anything you don't want pollinated.:weedpoke:

#16 curenado

curenado

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 949 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 10:25 PM

I'm a DPWishy about all living things - that said I have put the hell to aggressive hurty critters like hornets out here when I had to , hurt me or not.
Also, when you are trying to raise a crop...you have to protect what you mean to keep and that said I laugh when the deer and coons eat our stuff - it's killin' me all the work but I stand right there thinking "Bless your heart hon-o ain't that yummy for you!" and I feel good that they are eating. Obviously I plant about 5 times what I hope to get out here owing to my seemingly "buddhist" attitude about it. They really kill us on the oysters too and there have been times when I got none for me and was still endeared of them that they beat me to it. OK - my brain mush aside - Congrats to the blessed oblivion! We had bees when I was a kid and I can still see my grandmother in her hat robbing those hives with her little smoke puffer. It doesn't take much to grog them and I wonder if pot wouldn't be a better smoke than some oily rag...
But I would befriend miss Sunflower and get all the help I could because they are kind of a fragile stock to keep in some ways and sometimes the little boogers just swarm up and move on you - or move in like the above post.
Good for you Oblivion! You are right about the allergy thing and your kids will probably love chewing the honey out of hunks of comb like I did as a kid. She would just glop a hunk of comb in a dish on the table to drain out and we would eat the honey and kids could have some comb to chew if we wanted.
There's something - I don't know - rightness of life about bees and their treasure is well worth the keeping of them.
Best Wishes in your new crop!
  • Oblivion and riseabovethought like this

#17 -=Zeus=-

-=Zeus=-

-= Still Kickin =-

• OG VIP
  • 1,938 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 February 2010 - 10:35 PM

A very worthwhile endeavor Oblivion, I remember my grandpa having bees when I was a kid. I remember the smoke puffer too, seem to recall it being sulphur smoke. I hope your hive turns out to be the "bee's knees" lol

#18 sunflower420

sunflower420

Mrs.captainpicard420 : )

• Expired Member
  • 88 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 10:49 PM

Actually my hubby and I were thinking about making mead ourselves this up coming year. I have always wanting to learn how to make mead, plus I think my dad will be all for trying it with me.

Oh and during one of the big snow storms the whole hive got knocked over and we had hurry and put it back together. It really was a mess. Hopefully the bees are ok at least the comb did not break up. Now we have a cement block on top of it, so you should probably think about putting something heavy on top of it if a big storm is coming to protect it.

:eek: Oh and man Zodd I just watched that video poor bees there was that one that just got cut in half! I think at one point there was a problem with some kind of wasper or hornet going after bees in the hives. I don't remember exactly cause it was when I was really young. Still that is some crazy shit thanks for sharing!

Edited by sunflower420, 16 February 2010 - 11:04 PM.
Addition to the post.

#19 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 10:44 AM

Beast makes mead and has at least a couple of threads on it if you do a search. :thumbup:

Oblivion, i would have a pro come out with foam spray to remove those hornets nests. No way would i want even one anywhere near my kids.

#20 firerat

firerat

Why am I so thirsty....

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,949 posts

Donator

Posted 17 February 2010 - 11:02 AM

Yes, Beasts mead is killer. :thumbup:

Not much scares me, but bees and hornets certainly do. I hate them little stingy sum bitches!! :puke: I do love me some raw honey though!!

Good luck Oblivion!! Can't wait to see updates with this.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!