• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 CaptainFuture

CaptainFuture

Mushroom Maniac

• Free Member
  • 330 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 08:39 AM

Psilocybe Zapotecorum Quila Unicorn Mycobag culture.
- Multispore Culture, Spores from Alan Rockefeller from his 2009 hunt. Spores from fuits found in Quila, Mexico.
- Spelt grain spawn (14days)
- Sterilized (2,5hrs.) Substrate mix: Straw (chopped & pellets) 70%, Conifer Wood shavings 30% (14 days)
- 3-4cm Casing layer: Pot Flower Soil/Cocohum Mix (50:50), pasteurized
- Temperatures: Spawn 26-27 Degr. Celsius, Fruiting 22-23 Degr. Celsius
- Pins after 20days

Comments:
I wouldn't call this a success yet, I really hope the other pins will mature, too and they'll be bigger.
Zapotecorum is difficult due to the high humidity they need. I placed one of my small plastic boxes inside a second bigger one because my air is very dry due to the heating.
But unfortunatelly the spawn is also too dry, thats why there are only few and small fruits/pins.
Zapotecorum is, like Weillii,Caerulescens and Semperviva, fast growing and very contamination resistant and the mycelium has the same odor. (they're all smell Mexicana like)

2010-02-20:
2010.02.20 (1).JPG
2010.02.20 (3).JPG
2010.02.20 (5).JPG
2010.02.20 (6).JPG

The cap is around 3cm and left a nice dark sporeprint.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2010.02.20 (2).JPG
  • 2010.02.20 (4).JPG
  • 2010.02.20.JPG

• Samwise and Mike420 like this

#2 Om shanti

Om shanti

S.W.I.M. in H.POO

• Expired Member
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 08:59 AM

Cool, CaptainFuture!! :-) :bow: I can't wait to see once you get all the growing parameters calibrated. :loveeyes:

Thought I would quote some of cactu's notes on this species, it's very interesting that the Mexican Indians hold it in such high esteem. :amazed:

Indians in mexico venerate ps zapotecorum, because have the reputation of being the one that open the door of heavens, indias recognise many types but some shaman only take zapotecorum , compare to cubensis i will say 4 times potency , this mushrooms are really close to the most potend in the world , azurens can be a bit more strong in dry weight basis , but fresh can be equal sometimes, in mexico the lack of good study about mushroom is great specially about quimistry and percentace of alcaloids, also many mushroom can show the real procentage because the lost of potency to oxidation and drying , many studie are from very old specimen and as i tell you some naturally losses much of the potency in drying due the high Psilocin content. every mushrooms have a diferent effect , a diferent spirit, even in the same batch some can have diferences in potency and in flushes, but for sure zapotecorum have long history of use along indias, the coomond name they apply to the specie tell alot a bout the potency, corona de cristo , hongo de superior razon, angelitos, niƱitos de las aguas, maestros, etc,
crown of christ,nushroom of superio reason, little childrens of the water, teacher, angels. the taste on many psilocybe is farinaceos but this one have a mexican puch kind of spicy , like radish , a lone cluster of 86 mushrooms can easyly put 80 people to think in a mental caespitosic cluster..

#3 piggy69

piggy69

E.O.S

• Expired Member
  • 233 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:28 AM

Another beautiful grow. I would be more than happy with those results but I know you are a perfectionist!! Hows the Fagicola doing?:love:

#4 CaptainFuture

CaptainFuture

Mushroom Maniac

• Free Member
  • 330 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 11:31 AM

I usually don't post work in progress, but since the Zapotecorums are that difficult, I thought a sporulating mature specimen is a bit of a success. Only Elektrolurch did a 100% grow, Prankster had probs but the best results in years. Even Workman can't get them fruiting 100%.

I've tried a few different prints last year but had huge probs with the humidity. I really hope they'll be doing better this time. I've got the 'Nipple' strain in bags, too.

About the Fagicola. I found one isolate which is really fast growing on grass seed and within the fruiting substrate (straw, conifer shavings, grass seed).
Actually I've got a few 6week old jars which will be spawned next week. And two bags already spawned, one is doing very good and will be cased in 2 weeks. And I've just cased a grass seed test jar yesterday. So, we'll see about them. Let's cross fingers for the Zapos first :)

And about the potency of the Zapos. I placed the stems of the two little fruits on a piece of toilet paper and the paper got some blue dots just from touching them. The stems themselves are now nearly black.

Edited by CaptainFuture, 22 February 2010 - 11:49 AM.

#5 piggy69

piggy69

E.O.S

• Expired Member
  • 233 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 11:37 AM

Excellent news!! Keep up the good work. Looking forward to seeing some nipples:eusa_pray:flash::flash:

#6 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,810 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 February 2010 - 12:25 PM

Great start for a difficult species, subscribed! :D

#7 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 22 February 2010 - 01:36 PM

beautiful! :love:

i'll be following with zapo sawmill again soon. they would have made it this far last time if not for the late mold infection.

i would agree with the captain.. these are more difficult than most species to fruit, but not as hard as i had at first thought. i think i'll nail it once the next jar is done colonizing :)

archive material for sure :teeth:

:heart:

#8 CaptainFuture

CaptainFuture

Mushroom Maniac

• Free Member
  • 330 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 05:44 PM

Still can't understand why your grow got molded.
Zapotecorum is in my experience extreme contamination resistent.
My last years cultures which I couldn't get to fruit proberly never got mold- even when I threw them out after 9 months, they were still alive with no sign of trich or whatever.

Don't get me wrong TCO, but you definatelly can't say anything about how hard they are to grow as long as you haven't fruit them to full maturity.
-Yes, it isn't hard to grow them on agar, grain and final spawn.
And they do pin reliable and sometimes grow well up to a specific point.

Like I said there is only Elektrolurch who did Zapotecorums 100% and Prankster who nearly did. (he got 1 or 2 matured small fruits on later flushes)
Besides them I only know about Heim & Callieux who fruited a strain in 1959 within an Erlenmeyer flask on mixed compost. (Stamets, Psilocybe Mushrooms of the world)

The task is to get them through to the final stage and I think the moisture content of the spawn and the humidity during fruiting are the key!

Still growing-
2010-02-22:
2010.02.22 (5).JPG
2010.02.22 (7).JPG
2010.02.22 (8).JPG

Attached Thumbnails

• 2010.02.22 (6).JPG
  • 2010.02.22 (4).JPG
  • 2010.02.22 (3).JPG
  • 2010.02.22 (2).JPG
  • 2010.02.22.JPG
  • 2010.02.22 (1).JPG

#9 ethnobotanica

ethnobotanica

Botanical-manical

• Expired Member
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 05:55 PM

Just awesome!:thumbup:

#10 Dr.Hallucination

Dr.Hallucination

Chasing the Rabbit.

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,461 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 07:02 PM

Very cool CaptainFuture:bow:

#11 CaptainFuture

CaptainFuture

Mushroom Maniac

• Free Member
  • 330 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 03:33 PM

Stiiiiillll growing :) :) :)
2010-02-24:
2010.02.24 (22).JPG

Attached Thumbnails

• 2010.02.24 (18).JPG
  • 2010.02.24 (20).JPG
  • 2010.02.24 (21).JPG
  • 2010.02.24 (17).JPG
  • 2010.02.24 (16).JPG
  • 2010.02.24 (12).JPG
  • 2010.02.24 (15).JPG
  • 2010.02.24 (14).JPG
  • 2010.02.24 (13).JPG
  • 2010.02.24 (10).JPG
  • 2010.02.24 (9).JPG
  • 2010.02.24 (8).JPG
  • 2010.02.24 (5).JPG
  • 2010.02.24 (6).JPG
  • 2010.02.24 (4).JPG
  • 2010.02.24 (7).JPG
  • 2010.02.24 (1).JPG
  • 2010.02.24 (2).JPG
  • 2010.02.24 (3).JPG
  • 2010.02.24.JPG

#12 CaptainFuture

CaptainFuture

Mushroom Maniac

• Free Member
  • 330 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 03:44 PM

Unfortunatelly I am loosing some primordia/fruitbodies.
I've recognized yesterday 1or2 fruits turning blue and thought it might be a problem with dryness and misted the culture (maybe a bit too much). But though I did not mist directly on the culture/fruits it seems they really didn't like it. Today I found half of the bigger young fruitbodies turning blue (and looking like aborts).
I took them off and the soil at their stems is wet enough which implies me that it might be the misting which the fruits really didn't like. It seems Zapotecorum could handle wet substrate but dislike too wet casing like having 'water on their feet'.

Whatever, I really hope this isn't the end of this flush. The two matured fruits are cut for printing.

2010-02-27:
2010.02.27 (9).JPG

These Zapotecorums are driving me crazy!
They are growing REALLY slow, even slower than Sempervivas.
And that kills my nerves cause everyday it could be over and I could loose them.
I think I'll let them more 'be' the next days and try not to take too much care of them.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2010.02.27 (8).JPG
  • 2010.02.27 (7).JPG
  • 2010.02.27 (4).JPG
  • 2010.02.27 (5).JPG
  • 2010.02.27 (2).JPG
  • 2010.02.27 (3).JPG
  • 2010.02.27.JPG

Edited by CaptainFuture, 27 February 2010 - 03:49 PM.

#13 Pajarito

Pajarito

Cosmic Comote

• Expired Member
  • 62 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 04:15 PM

What is the diameter on the large cap?

#14 CaptainFuture

CaptainFuture

Mushroom Maniac

• Free Member
  • 330 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 06:50 AM

The caps is 3cm, a bit smaller than the first one.

#15 Aqua and Red

Aqua and Red

Mycophilliac

• Expired Member
  • 278 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 01:16 PM

Hello there CF. I'd like to start out by saying Im a big fan of the work you do with exotics and I respect the work you do.

I have a few questions for you. Do you think that this would perform better if you cloned out a better substrain? As in, is it possible to better "domesticate" some of the exotics you're working with?

I see you usually work with multispore cultures. Could the fact that this isn't an isolate be why it's fruiting so unevenly? (please don't misunderstand, I think that what you're doing with zapotecorum is pioneering work.)

#16 CaptainFuture

CaptainFuture

Mushroom Maniac

• Free Member
  • 330 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 01:43 PM

Hello there CF. I'd like to start out by saying Im a big fan of the work you do with exotics and I respect the work you do.

I have a few questions for you. Do you think that this would perform better if you cloned out a better substrain? As in, is it possible to better "domesticate" some of the exotics you're working with?

I see you usually work with multispore cultures. Could the fact that this isn't an isolate be why it's fruiting so unevenly? (please don't misunderstand, I think that what you're doing with zapotecorum is pioneering work.)

Thanks for your kind words.

And- Yeah, sure, you're right.
If you do Isolate work or cloning of the best grown fruitbody, growing could be way much better. Maybe I'll do so in the next years.
Atm. I am totally into 'grow as much different (rare)strains as possible'.
So I am glad with half a dozen healthy looking fruits. Which definatelly is NOT archieved with Zapos by now. I hope to at least see 5-7 larger fruitbodies matured and THEN I call it a success.

Sure I'd rather want to see a large amount of fruits- like a wood :)
But depending on how difficult or rare a species is, even few healthy matured shrooms could be a success. (like with Zapos)
With Baeocystis f.e. only one indoor grown fruitbody would be a total success, cause it would be the first one ever. And surely I'd clone that fruit- same like I did with my Semilanceata fruits. Thats cause it is really difficult to find an isolate that fruits at all of these Psilocybes.

About the Zapotecorums- I think they aren't difficult to pin (even from out of a multispore culture), but to mature the pins isn't that easy due to the long time they'll need to maturity.

Meanwhile I am pretty sure they absolutely don't want to have wet feet ant hate it to be sprinkled/misted. All they ask is a high humidity. (and moist enough substrate)

#17 Aqua and Red

Aqua and Red

Mycophilliac

• Expired Member
  • 278 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 02:06 PM

Thanks for your kind words.

And- Yeah, sure, you're right.
If you do Isolate work or cloning of the best grown fruitbody, growing could be way much better. Maybe I'll do so in the next years.
Atm. I am totally into 'grow as much different (rare)strains as possible'.
So I am glad with half a dozen healthy looking fruits. Which definatelly is NOT archieved with Zapos by now. I hope to at least see 5-7 larger fruitbodies matured and THEN I call it a success.

Sure I'd rather want to see a large amount of fruits- like a wood :)
But depending on how difficult or rare a species is, even few healthy matured shrooms could be a success. (like with Zapos)
With Baeocystis f.e. only one i
ndoor grown fruitbody would be a total success, cause it would be the first one ever. And surely I'd clone that fruit- same like I did with my Semilanceata fruits. Thats cause it is really difficult to find an isolate that fruits at all of these Psilocybes.

About the Zapotecorums- I think they aren't difficult to pin (even from out of a multispore culture), but to mature the pins isn't that easy due to the long time they'll need to maturity.

Meanwhile I am pretty sure they absolutely don't want to have wet feet ant hate it to be sprinkled/misted. All they ask is a high humidity. (and moist enough substrate)

And that's just what I meant when I said you're a pioneer with some of these exotics. I think the only other instance I've seen zapos being fruited was by either B.I.O. or Elektrolurch, and even then they did not have as many fruits as you have here.

I would very much like to see you do more of what you're doing already, and see you do some isolate work for the future. Maybe I'll even work with these species someday and work along side all of the great exotic growers, yourself being one of them.

Ps. How can one make sure the substrate stays nice and moist over the course of fruitbody development? Something extra for water retention? I've seen you don't like vermiculite in another thread with TCO. What would you suggest for that extra water holding capability? Or should one just wet it a little over field capacity and keep it at 100 percent rh?

#18 CaptainFuture

CaptainFuture

Mushroom Maniac

• Free Member
  • 330 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:30 AM

Yes, you are right I NEVER use Vermiculite.
With the Zapos, it's easy to keep it moist, since the myc. doesn't grow on the surface. I brought it to near saturation before the fruits emerged and now that it's fruiting I take care not to mist too much, cause the fruitbodies don't like to be overly wet.

#19 CaptainFuture

CaptainFuture

Mushroom Maniac

• Free Member
  • 330 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 04:16 PM

Still the same problem. Some fruits turn blue while growing bigger, others fortunatelly not. I really, really hope to see some of them mature.
What keeps my head up is that there are much more pins coming along, some in nice small clusters.
We will see, but crossed fingers are appreciated!

2010.02.03:
2010.03.02 (16).JPG

Attached Thumbnails

• 2010.03.02 (8).JPG
  • 2010.03.02 (6).JPG
  • 2010.03.02 (7).JPG
  • 2010.03.02 (5).JPG
  • 2010.03.02 (2).JPG
  • 2010.03.02 (4).JPG
  • 2010.03.02 (3).JPG
  • 2010.03.02.JPG
  • 2010.03.02 (1).JPG

#20 ethnobotanica

ethnobotanica

Botanical-manical

• Expired Member
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 03:59 PM

What's going on with that funky little upturned guy at the edge of the bag??

Looks like he's looking up at the tall one there.:)

Edited by ethnobotanica, 03 March 2010 - 04:17 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!