:rasta:
  • riseabovethought likes this

#42 ThePain

ThePain

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 10:35 PM

Yes, in a way I do consider myself in the least shamanistic. The mind expanding effects of psychedelics have forever changed my perception of this life and the brain. I can only imagine what these trips would mean to the original shamans back before we knew somewhat how these effects occur.

Edited by ThePain, 17 April 2010 - 10:35 PM.
spelling

#43 Temporalysis

Temporalysis

Paralyzed in time

• Expired Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:42 PM

Found an interesting article!

http://www.spiritual...s-shamanic.html

This is unmistakably what I have been experiencing.

I'm never content unless I give in... and lately I've been accidentally having odd effects on a few others around me. In my dreams I can see how and when I have the authority to do so.. and somehow I have developed this dread of hurting someone inadvertently, although optimally having no fears or doubts whatsoever seems to work the best.

I've experienced emotions I never knew existed.. fought off insanity when it all started. A black dog bit me in the neck in a dream and I woke up to find actual physical injury. My chiropractor was even more perplexed than I.

Thank you so much for finding this...

I do feel like I need to say that there isn't really any order to it.. not like how it sort of infers in that article. Its a really spontaneous experience.. happens when it is needed. And I can also say that I don't think I have been reborn.. I just have this feeling about that... well its either that or I have done it multiple times.

I'm definitely a super novice... oh fuck yes this was all involuntary.. forced even.

And lately I have been feeling responsible for the safety of two other people in particular... my ex girlfriend and childhood friend who is serving in the armed forces. They are both in very very abstract places right now in part because of something I touched in them..

#44 Temporalysis

Temporalysis

Paralyzed in time

• Expired Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:46 PM

In retrospect I would have to say that Ghandi would be pretty fucking proud of me at this point.

Okay I'm done. :horse:

#45 Temporalysis

Temporalysis

Paralyzed in time

• Expired Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 06:09 PM

Okay its like this.

I have these mental processes that weren't developed by me intentionally like my previous "systems" of management. In this past year I mean.. post-shaman.

Through trial and error in ways that I can describe better for you if I could play my guitar over the internet.. I can feel what other people feel. Only.. it's getting more and more efficient as time passes. I even had my landlord freak out one time because he thought I was telepathic. Long story.. I mean it was a very humorous experience.

I digress. It goes from pragmatic to something I can't name. And also there's my will or intentions that can screw it all up.. or conversely, make it all better. I can do this weird thing inside of me now where I breathe deeply and I can feel this surge of fiery... something. Fire feels like a good word. And I can't stop smiling afterward.. I must look like a madman sometimes.

I don't know. My dreams too.. I've been learning more about everything around me while I sleep. I don't even try and interpret the dreams anymore like in the beginning because I'm beginning to learn that it leads me astray.. leaves room for a large margin of error, so to speak. But then again it doesn't because that's life. Anyway I'm digressing yet again. I observe myself as I wake up.. and I can control the stages. I bring each experience with me.. well sort of. Fuck English. Music is better.

And there are no causes or beliefs... only fascinations and even passions. I feel this intense pride about what I am. And I go in and out of feeling faithful about.... something else I can't name.

I use these keywords in my head.. words have so much power now. Or at the least I am aware of it post-shaman. They are stiff still and I feel that I lack finesse because of it.. it's an ongoing process that I know of for sure.

For instance.. this posting is a result of "there is so much to do! there is so much at stake here..." If that's what an inner voice is then I guess I have one. Again.. perhaps only now I am aware of it.

#46 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 10,657 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:11 AM

I can only imagine what these trips would mean to the original shamans back before we knew somewhat how these effects occur.

We have words to describe our way around the physical processes we can detect, such as a psychedelic molecule binding to this or that receptor site or concluding that it's a dopamine agonist or whatever, but as far as what is happening inside our consciousness goes we're no further along toward knowing what's going on than people who tripped a thousand years ago. We try to find the words to talk about it but end up describing the process with analogies and metaphors just like the ancient shamans did. That's why Jimi Hendrix asks if you're "experienced;" you either are or you're not and there's no way to explain the difference.

To me the psychedelic experience is the doorway between abstractions of the ineffable (i.e. talking about the spirit world, God or whatever) and a direct experience of it (being in the spirit world, talking with God etc.). It's an experience beyond description where language fails, so IMO there will never be words that can pin it down to a certainty: Saying "Tripping is this" or "tripping is that" will never make any sense or help anyone understand it.

In that respect, it's a lot like Death; much speculation surrounds it and there are biochemical/physiological indicators we use to define it but we each either have the direct experience of it ourselves or we don't (most of us don't). I think it's interesting that so many trips involve death imagery and so many physical near-death experiences involve psychedelic imagery.

And none of this kind of thinking has much survival value from a Darwinian evolutionary perspective; transcendence doesn't help us mate and produce more offspring (often it's quite the opposite, lol) or fulfill the other Prime Directives of our physical existence. And yet here it all is filling up our heads, often motivating us more intensely than our physical desires for food and sex, and if one's perspective is that the observable physical universe is all there is then pursuing the Shamanic path is entirely irrational and contrary to our interests.

On the other hand, if there's a bit more going on than meets the eye (as psychedelics strongly imply) then this is the only game in town. That's a huge (and vitally-important) "if" to ponder.

And of course, welcome to 'Topia!

• greenie likes this

#47 bluefungus

bluefungus

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:31 PM

:dance:

I am shaman with nice boobs to offer for sporesand buds

#48 koldj

koldj

Wounded Healer

• Expired Member
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 02:26 PM

Thank you so much for finding this...

You're welcome :).

As far as the shamanic emergence goes, a shaman must undergo a sort of a breakthrough. Otherwise, until the process is finished, the emerging shaman is suffering. Shamanic emergence always begins with a crisis lasting from a few hours to a few years. The shaman becomes a madman, and at the end he embraces his madness and finds a new way to be - he overcomes himself, dies and is being reborn. Joan Halifax says: "wounded healer".

Referring to the "wounded healer" concept, Kalweit argues the shamanic crisis is:

A sickness that is understood as a process of purification, as the onset of enhanced psychic sensitivity giving access to the hidden and highest potentials of human existence, is therefore marked by very different characteristics than those ascribed to pathological conditions by modern medicine and psychology, namely that suffering has only negative consequences. According to the modern view, illness disrupts and endangers life, whereas the shaman experiences his sickness as a call to restructure this life within himself so as to hear, see and live it more fully and completely in a higher state of awareness. (Dreamtime and Inner Space: The World of the Shaman by Holger Kalweit, p. 91)

Associated Clinical Problems
Individuals in Western cultures occasionally experience similar problems:

We have seen instances where modern Americans, Europeans, Australians and Asians have experienced episodes that bore a close resemblance to shamanic crises...People experiencing such crises can also show spontaneous tendencies to create rituals that are identical to those practiced by shamans of various cultures. (Grof, S., & Grof, C. (Eds.). (1989)

Edited by koldj, 20 April 2010 - 04:32 PM.

#49 Dipole

Dipole

Legalize Cannabis

• OG VIP
  • 3,047 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 April 2010 - 11:21 PM

I am not a shaman, I have never had that spiritual experience that goes with the territory. I do trance when I see pretty women though. So I'm content, I think.

#50 scooby doo

scooby doo

Cerebral Surf Rider

• Expired Member
  • 643 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 11:35 PM

Shaman is a word...seeker and founder there is no word for. "Founder" being subjective is a difficult word. What you have "found" may be utter bullshit to me and vice versa.

In respect to answering the poll....I think that your higher power is a construct of your mind..just like my mind.

#51 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 10,657 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 May 2010 - 09:24 AM

In respect to answering the poll....I think that your higher power is a construct of your mind..just like my mind.

So what's your mind, then?

:meditate:

#52 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,965 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 May 2010 - 12:42 PM

I'm not a Shaman, I'm a freak. As in:

"A natural street freak, just eating whatever came by."
-Hunter S. Thompson

I'm also fond of Abbey. As in Abbey Normal.

I don't do this shit primarily for enlightenment. I do this shit primarily for fun. The enlightenment/altered consciousness thing is just an extra bonus. Sometimes it actually gets in the way...

I certainly don't want to be leading people and telling them how to live their lives or fix their problems. I sure as hell don't want somebody else telling me - where do I get off telling them?
  • roscoe likes this

#53 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 3,762 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 May 2010 - 01:32 PM

On the other hand, if there's a bit more going on than meets the eye (as psychedelics strongly imply) then this is the only game in town. That's a huge (and vitally-important) "if" to ponder.

Thanks TV. I feel like were doing important work, even if we dont know where our exploring will take us. We march forward, bravely into the unknown, minds' open, with high hopes, and rightfully so. I believe we are learning something vitally important but we wont know it until we know it and there's no short cuts.

#54 Beast

Beast

That's Mr. Beast to you..

• Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 07:42 PM

Shaman is an antiquated and loaded term.

First off I don't live in an indigenous tribe that survives by subsistence. I live in a building and in a city and I use a computer and its the fuckin 21st century for cryin out loud. I'm not a Luddite.

Secondly, not all traditional shamans nor shamanic cultures used psychedelics to obtain their visions/experiences. Dreams, rhythmic drumming/dance are two such modes that have been exclusively used by some shamanic cultures.

I think Psychonaut is a much more apt term for what we're talking about in this thread:

Psychonaut (from the Greek ψυχή (psychē "soul/spirit/mind") and ναύτης (naútēs "sailor/navigator") – a sailor of the mind/soul)
refers both to a methodology for describing and explaining the subjective effects of altered states of consciousness, including those induced by mind altering substances, and to a research paradigm in which the researcher voluntarily immerses him/herself into an altered state by means of such techniques, as a means to explore human experience and existence.

The term has been applied diversely, to cover all activities by which altered states are induced and utilized for spiritual purposes or the exploration of the human condition, including shamanism, lamas of the Tibetan Buddhist tradition, sensory deprivation, and archaic/modern drug users who use entheogenic substances in order to gain deeper insights and spiritual experiences.

Feel free to check out our Psychonautics Group:
http://mycotopia.net...sychonauts.html

Edited by Beast, 08 May 2010 - 07:47 PM.

• Coopdog likes this

#55 calistoner

calistoner

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 760 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 09:18 PM

well, you guys have good points.

but IMO a shaman is someone whos been passed down knowledge. they know specific in's and out's of certain entheogens because its been passed down from previous generations of shamans. Some of them have some knowledge that is key to understanding and interpreting whats happening to you while your under the influence.

but that is not to say all shamans are this way. i believe there all kinds of "shamans" that just know how to dose and find the plants, but then i also believe there are the shamans that are gifted and unique. they are the ones you need to meet.

#56 Libre

Libre

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 468 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 10:54 AM

From my understanding of it, all shamans have some sort of belief in spirits or other dimensions of some sort that they tap into, as well as some sort of miraculous physical or spiritual healing that they do. I don't believe in either o those things, so I wouldn't consider myself a shaman. In other respects though, such as the use of entheogens to gain insights, sure, but where I gain though insights is a bit different in my belief.

#57 TooLate4Never

TooLate4Never

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 68 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 12:05 PM

i think that some people go way overboard on the spirituality of a study... most of the time they just relax and have a good tine.

#58 Teonanacatl38

Teonanacatl38

Extradimentional Psilocypher

• OG VIP
  • 1,243 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 May 2010 - 12:27 PM

Language is Bittersweet.

Why waste precious time trying to squeeze your self in a box, and slapping a label on it?

**BE YOURSELF AND FOLLOW YOUR HEART.....THAT'S ALL THAT REALLY MATTERS.**

:heartbeat

In the end....you are who you are...and labels/titles are still both insignificant and inadequate.

Posted Image

Edited by Teonanacatl38, 09 May 2010 - 03:39 PM.

• paph, Jawn, calistoner and 1 other like this

#59 Bulk

Bulk

Plausibly Deniable

• Expired Member
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 02:50 PM

I prefer "The" Shaman!

:meditate:

#60 Stoned Angel

Stoned Angel

aka peach pieces

• OG VIP
  • 1,969 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 February 2011 - 08:12 AM

I wish I lived in that time.....Or I could go on that pilgrimage. When I was younger I thought I would just take off from this life and go live in the Himalayas. As life goes on I find I have to pay those stupid bills, and work those those fingers to the bone, but do like to live in that mindset.:nana:

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!