• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 zoomer

zoomer

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 November 2003 - 02:47 AM

I just pressure canned my cakes for the 1st time in 8 yrs (second time total). I used tape AND foil. A few of my jars had quite a bit of water in them. I inoculated them anyway.
1: Is that bad ?
2: What did I do wrong ? Lids not tight enough ?
3: Is there something that can be done if it is bad ?
4: Can I lower the water level in the canner ?
5: Why did my mom dress me in crappy clothes as a kid ?

Thanks in advance.

#2 Guest_hippie3_*

Guest_hippie3_*

Posted 11 November 2003 - 11:31 AM

1. yes
2. proly too much water in the pc or the jars were not elevated above the water level enough.
3. not really, over-saturated jars very rarely colonize properly and generally succumb to bacterial contamination in short order.
4. better to raise the jars. less water can mean running dry and scorching, thus ruining, your jars. so you want plenty of water. but the water should not come up onto the jars, which means you need some type of platform to place the jars on up a inch or so from the bottom of the pan.
5. saves money

#3 Guest_scotsman_*

Guest_scotsman_*

Posted 11 November 2003 - 12:10 PM

3. Wrap foil in the inside as well
as the outside of the jar.

#4 zoomer

zoomer

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 November 2003 - 01:49 PM

Okie dokie

#5 zoomer

zoomer

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 November 2003 - 03:31 AM

A follow up question, while I'm waiting to see what occurs (nothing yet it's cold in the house). On my next batch of jars, should I screw the lids on tighter (while using foil inside and out) ? I have an old pf tek paper and it says "loosley or till they stop". Also what's closer to b+..GT, SA, BM, or Ralphsters "suprise strain" ? Since the B+ might be toast ?

#6 Guest_faht_*

Guest_faht_*

Posted 13 November 2003 - 04:41 AM

it's funny, i was always pissed that i could have 'designer' clothes when i was a kid... then when i was about 16 i started smoking pot and wearing clothes from St. Vinnies. needless to say, my mother gives me shit about that to this day. lol life is hilarious!

fahtheadted

#7 Guest_smerd_*

Guest_smerd_*

Posted 13 November 2003 - 02:17 PM

Ditch the tape, keep the jars more or less above the PC's water line during sterilization, don't worry about how tightly lids are on (tight's fine), and cover the lids w/foil. With no tape, a tight lid won't stall jars.

SA's aren't very different from B+. SA's are nice, cooperative fellows.

(Message edited by Smerd on November 13, 2003)

#8 Guest_i_am_me_*

Guest_i_am_me_*

Posted 13 November 2003 - 04:10 PM

Well I can tell ya for sure that none of us can tell you anything about the surprise strain! Its a surprise silly! Posted Image

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!