#1 Frequency

Frequency

Code Demon

• OG VIP
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 03:59 PM

Shaman Outside Shaman Inside
The business and benefits of reconciling pride

Recently I have made some changes to my physical appearance in order to eliminate the prejudices that our society has against people who look different. I have always enjoyed indulging in the personification of the shaman and tribal culture as a whole, primarily as a tribute to all the sacrifices and accomplishments that our ancestors have made for us, but also because of all the benefits that come with fighting for something that you are passionate about in the face of overwhelming prejudice. An aspect of the human condition, to which we are all bound to, is appreciating most that which we have to struggle to keep. Just think about all the most expensive things you’ve had to work to own and how much you value them over random things that you’ve acquired for little to no expense. And think about our children or our long-term relationships. The more we sacrifice and invest in our own ideality and integrity, the higher we hold our own souls.

I’m sure I don’t have to tell most of you here in America (and I’m sure lots of other places in the world) that there is an unjust bias that most people in power hold against those who do not look like them. White-collar, middle-class, crew-cut, etc. Do you see the picture I’m painting? Other races, immigrants, gays, women, people with dreadlocks, piercings, tattoos, etc; are all frowned up unfairly in our society. Now, don’t let me disrespect the businessman and his suit. Hell, I look good in a suit. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with dressing well and how you see fit. The unfair part comes into play when someone who can do the job just as good or better than you, but looks different, gets stiffed over in a job or opportunity because you have a tie and short hair.

The outlook I held over the last 12 years was that upholding your own integrity over submitting to outrageously unfair bias (in other words, fighting for civil rights instead of going with the flow) even if it cut me out of benefits large and small. The reward was fighting for what was right and willfully attempting to, in polite intellectual conversion, change people’s minds one at a time about the societal standards of misjudgment. To anyone with an open ear anyway. I’m just talking about showing the old lady at the grocery store register that all people with a nose ring aren’t thieving uneducated heathens. We’re polite, articulate, intelligent, loving, caring, and beautiful too. It’s nice to see them change from a defensive even abrasive demeanor to a friendly accepting attitude in 45 seconds just over the words and smile I utilized to greet her while she scanned my purchases. It’s nice to surprise people.

However in spite of this wonderful path in life, I’m finding more and more that it’s contributing an extra step in most of my newer, more important goals in life. The lady at the grocery store is great, but what about the head of a large company? Or perhaps your appearance and integrity (pride) depend on an entire decimal place in your annual income… Do you have kids to feed? A living to make? To do to better and better for your family as well as for yourself? Of course we do. This is part of what makes life worthwhile. It compromises with us over our losses, and that’s what it’s really all about. Making life worth the sacrifice. Because it is tough, and it might be tougher still. The father of modern psychosociology Erik Erikson said the most important stage of our development in life was Maturity. He said if a person can reconcile his life as beneficial overall and good, in spite of even catastrophic suffering and pain, then he would become happy in accepting death as his inevitable reality. It’s a beautiful pursuit and I hope that we all make the choice to see our lives as positive in our own issues with our own personal mortality.

My point is that I have to compromise with society to better myself and my family. All of this dawned on me during the second night of 4-AcO-DMT experimentation a few weeks ago that I posted about in reports section here. I had so many thoughts racing through my mind that night. The first night was so visual but the second one was intensely mental. I didn’t sleep the entire night and stayed up into the next day thinking about all that I have wrote about now. On the way back from the research group I knew the time had come. I took out my piercings, cut my long hair, and bought a few dress shirts. I’m finishing up my degree, my peers at college respect the change and I want to get the job when time comes. Society: You see what I want you to see. And you know what?

I’m still a Shaman.

I love you all.

Frequency
  • dice, Coughing_Anon, Coopdog and 2 others like this

#2 koldj

koldj

Wounded Healer

• Expired Member
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 05:01 PM

Hell, man!! I'm glad you realized that! I've had the same kind of "revelation".

This whole "resistance" is futile. It's just a part of growing up. Turning into an adult and throwing off the 'loud rebelion' is not comformism, it's just embracing the world as it is and finding more peace within and around you. That's just the way of things.
  • Frequency and RainbowCatepillar like this

#3 greenkurma

greenkurma

Starjammer Swashbuckler

• Expired Member
  • 172 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 05:08 PM

i think this is the train of thought that caused a wave of short haired musicians in the 90s..
this post reminds me of "SLC punk" take down the system from the inside brother

im never going to lop my mop, i'll just have to wear it up to board meetings
  • Frequency likes this

#4 koldj

koldj

Wounded Healer

• Expired Member
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 06:30 PM

That's it. Once you got the power to do it by yourself* you see that there is nothing to rebel against and it doesn't mean that you're gonna stop fighting for your principles. It just means that you have found a way to achieve it and to make that difference.

* one of my dudes wrote to me today that he just realized that he can finally do anything with his life now, hehe:amazed:
  • Coopdog likes this

#5 whatchamacallit

whatchamacallit

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 07:35 PM

Sounds like you're growing up.. ;)

#6 DivineMomentsofTruth

DivineMomentsofTruth

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 581 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 08:40 PM

damn frequency you are one of the deepest thinkers i know. very much like myself but you are able to translate it sooo well to others that it gets them to think, thus making you an even more intense person. i myself am not much of a translator but i believe we think very much on the same level and that is awesome. i wish i was able to relay my thoughts as well as you can. props man.:eusa_clap
  • Frequency and Coopdog like this

#7 Teonanacatl38

Teonanacatl38

Extradimentional Psilocypher

• Expired Member
  • 1,243 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2010 - 10:33 PM

There's a difference between Rebellion and Revolution.

Revolution is matured rebellion.

I don't look the way i do to piss anybody off, nor to impress them. My appearance, and the way i carry myself are all decisions made consciously, deliberately, and honestly....as a natural extension of who I am, and what I feel to be true.

While I understand your situation, and respect your devotion to your family.....I personally wouldn't have done as you have.

Erosion.

I have met plenty of people from many walks of life and age groups, who at one point had convictions and values. They were young, strong, unconditioned, and saw the failing's of society without rationalization.

Feeling unsupported and/or fearful, they sacrificed things that were once universally important to them, in order to attain feelings of security within their personal sphere of existence. Gradually, the demands of the dominating cultural tide carries them farther and farther from the ideals and truth's that were so evident to them as fresh spirits. They become focused on the preservation of their personal spheres, and loose touch with the calling to a higher purpose.

Erosion.

Distraction.

In today's society, commitment to embodying the essence of who you are...standing firm in that, without remorse, fear, or guilt...is a sacrifice.

It's unwavering determination, with a commitment to the greater good of all people, that will catalyze the changes that must happen.

To beat them at their own game is folly.

I say....Don't play games. Leave them obsolete in the dust behind you.

Forge your own path...one in alignment with your passions and a higher way of being.

You make this sacrifice not just for yourself, but for all people....those living now, those who will come later, and in honor of all who have made the sacrifice before us.

We stand, strong and full of conviction, because we understand that no great victory's are won through complicity.

We follow our Hearts.

This is not a rebellion....

This is a Revolution

Posted Image
  • JohnDoe, -=Zeus=-, Coopdog and 1 other like this

#8 Oroborous

Oroborous

The Eternal Student

• Expired Member
  • 206 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 11:10 PM

We follow our Hearts.

This is not a rebellion....

This is a Revolution

Posted Image

:heartbeat

(You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Teo/Freq again)

:heartbeat
  • TurkeyRanch likes this

#9 -=Zeus=-

-=Zeus=-

-= Still Kickin =-

• OG VIP
  • 1,938 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 March 2010 - 12:50 AM

We all have certain choices to make in our lives. All of them come with consequences, either good or bad. I'm almost in the exact opposite position as you Frequency, because for many, many years I was clean cut, raising kids, climbing the corporate ladder etc...Now I'll be 50 next time around, kids are grown and on their own, wife and I live with our house of pets. I had shaved my head for years, until I lost my job in June of 09. I decided to let it grow, and told my wife I may never cut it again lol. I did get a slight trim the other day, was getting a bit shaggy around my big old ears. I decided to live the life I wanna live today, and be polite and kind doing so. But don't tread on me! I've also decided I'm not taking any more shit from any more companies, bosses, etc...In fact, I hope to never have to work for anyone else again. I'm a full time student with the dreams of my own small business after graduation. But GL with whatever your choices are, and wherever they lead you!
  • Frequency likes this

#10 lysergic

lysergic

Down on the Pharm

• Expired Member
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 01:18 AM

I thought the exact same thing!
It's not selling out, just buying in :lol:
  • Frequency likes this

#11 whatchamacallit

whatchamacallit

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 01:52 AM

Eventually there comes a point where making a statement comes second to making a difference. Knowing which is which requires wisdom.
  • Freaky, bbd2 and Oroborous like this

#12 bbd2

bbd2

eNtheogen psychonautical voyager navigator

• Free Member
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 11:43 AM

Eventually there comes a point where making a statement comes second to making a difference. Knowing which is which requires wisdom.

right there is where its at
  • Frequency and FoCuSeD like this

#13 -=Zeus=-

-=Zeus=-

-= Still Kickin =-

• OG VIP
  • 1,938 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 March 2010 - 03:02 PM

Well put with few words...I like that. Making a statement has immediate results usually, whereas making a difference can be a very subtle thing.
The way I choose to live my life IS my statement at this point of my life. I like to think that I've developed some wisdom in my days, but wisdom is one of those things that you've lost when you realize you had it.
I certainly believe in making a difference, to better my life and the lives of all those around me also. We walk a fine line sometimes, but we are the soldiers on the front line.
I guess it really depends on where a person is in there life, what their ambitions are, what they want to achieve. That can vary widely from individual to individual...
I spent many years in recovery type scenarios, 12 step and the like. They all tried to tell me I have a disease, which I bought into the best I could for as long as I could. I did manage to stay totally clean and sober for 14.5 yrs to the day at one point. In my opinion, addiction is a mental disorder not unlike any other mental disorder. I consider it to be more of a symptom than I do a disease. So little is known about how our brains really work, and the intricate chemical and electrical signals that there is no doubt things can go awry at times. I don't necessarily think that it makes it a death sentence as 12-step programs would lead one to believe. I do want to make it clear that in no way am I knocking 12-step programs either. I'm quite sure that I wouldn't be here right now without having gone down that road myself.

Here are the most important things I've learned

1. Your power is in your choices
2. All actions have consequences - weigh them thoughtfully
3. Treat others in a courteous, respectful manner, regardless of
their demeanor
4. Always try to settle disputes with negotiation and peaceful
means.
5. If and when it becomes necessary to defend one's self,
disregard #3 and #4 lol.
6. "Know who you are, be who you are, and apologize to no one
for it!" (you'll notice that in my signature line)
7. Question everything you've ever learned, no matter the source.
8. Never take "That's just the way it is" for an answer.
9. Know that you deserve all the best that life has to offer, and it's
all there for the taking. You just have to put in some footwork.
10. Be true to yourself. Be honest in all your endeavors. Put forth
your best effort if you want your best reward. Give to those
less fortunate than yourself. Treat others as you would like to
be treated. Greet people with a smile.

I admire the choices you've decided to make, because they were made thoughtfully and with others in mind. Sometimes we sacrifice things about ourselves on the outside, to fit in with the "society" we have to live and work within.
But those outward sacrifices don't change who we are, nor does 20 yrs of a 12-step program (in my own experience). Once a shaman, always a shaman ;)

• wildedibles likes this

#14 francisco

francisco

Aztec Priest

• Free Member
  • 104 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 04:08 PM

I made the same decision years ago. I made my decision for alot of the same reasons you stated, I dont regret it one bit. I will be in a position one day to look the way I feel.
I ran into some old friends a couple of weeks ago and thats almost all they talked about... my appearance. My hair the hardware all gone. They ask 'why the change' and I replied 'people view you differently'. People make decisions about who people are based on outward appearance before even talking with them.
After a few years of being "clean-cut" I have gotten more creative and have a new shaman-tribal look that is a bit more society friendly.

#15 Oblivion

Oblivion

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 05:15 PM

That was very well written and well thought out Frequency. My situation rests closely with Zeus' situation but that shouldnt take away from your revelation. You have it down pretty good if you ask me. If you want to advance in life and make a decent home for your family in this day and age, you have to play ball with the suited stiffs. I dig your style and I know you will stay close to your true nature. You have a leg up on them you know. You have a wisdom that can't be obtained from fighting for table scraps, which is how most stiffs behave when currency is on the table and in sight.
  • Frequency likes this

#16 Frequency

Frequency

Code Demon

• OG VIP
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:29 AM

Thank you Whatcha, that was incredibly insightful.

damn frequency you are one of the deepest thinkers i know. very much like myself but you are able to translate it sooo well to others that it gets them to think, thus making you an even more intense person. i myself am not much of a translator but i believe we think very much on the same level and that is awesome. i wish i was able to relay my thoughts as well as you can. props man.:eusa_clap

Thanks DMoT, you do just fine in translating your beautiful soul brother. :hippie:

It just means that you have found a way to achieve it and to make that difference.

Exactly bro, thanks koldjgdaro!

You make this sacrifice not just for yourself, but for all people....those living now, those who will come later, and in honor of all who have made the sacrifice before us.

Precisely Teo. I've honored the past generations for a long time, and will still continue to do so with even more intensity, but now it's time to focus on this generation and make sure all the tiny Shaman's out there can survive. My ancestors would have wanted it this way. To take care of my family.

That was very well written and well thought out Frequency.

Thanks Oblivion, I appreciate the kind words.

Thanks to everyone who commented and shared their thoughts.

Much love.

#17 raveneye

raveneye

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 511 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 02:07 PM

Well written Freq. Well realized rather.
As long as you start off with the tie-dye underware you can put on whatever super hero outfit you want.
Its what's underneath that counts.

Edited by Felix, 16 March 2010 - 10:47 PM.

• Frequency likes this

#18 Uncle_Tryptamine

Uncle_Tryptamine

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 01:25 PM

Yes frequency quite the reasearch group the evening before your revalation as well :) You and I both know we do have to conform to being "Normal" a standard set by society that if we do not live up to, we are cast away by most social classes that we need to have affiliation with. The normal masses need not know how far the rabbit hole goes anyway.
  • Frequency likes this

#19 prism

prism

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 5,943 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2010 - 01:43 PM

I try to look as much like a cop/Young Republican as I can... I hide in plain site...:rasta:
  • Frequency likes this

#20 Frequency

Frequency

Code Demon

• OG VIP
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 02:44 PM

Yes frequency quite the reasearch group the evening before your revalation as well :) You and I both know we do have to conform to being "Normal" a standard set by society that if we do not live up to, we are cast away by most social classes that we need to have affiliation with. The normal masses need not know how far the rabbit hole goes anyway.

Indeed my dear old Uncle Tryptamine. :eusa_clap It's great to see you in such good spirit. It is true that we cannot all be psychonauts, and that the average person has little interest in exploring the inner depths of consciousness and reality. They rely on us, the shaman, to do so with utter efficiency and dedication to truth, knowledge, and the pursuit of happiness. :hippie:

And you're right Prism, it does help to blend in, but it doesn't help when, while meeting people in the street, they don't grant you the same respect. Albeit not prime candidates for friends, you don't have to be friends to be business partners. :rasta: These types of people often facilitate the acquisition of said substances for the shaman to utilize. Has nothing to do with the economics of friendship, simply a means to a way.

That's the only legitimate complaint I have about the whole thing and I'm truly happy I've realized this transformation fully. It has so many benefits in my specific place in life. As I said before, you have to sacrifice to truly appreciate something. I'm finishing my education and propelling myself into a higher state of being through sacrifice.

Love

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!