36 replies to this topic

#21 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 4,068 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 April 2010 - 04:28 PM

Well written Freq. Well realized rather.
As long as you start off with the tie-dye underware you can put on whatever super hero outfit you want.
Its what's underneath that counts.

:bow:
  • Frequency likes this

#22 Guitardude

Guitardude

No Additional Ingredients

• Expired Member
  • 567 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 06:46 PM

When I was working as a therapist, one of my roles was to help as an expert witness for drug and alcohol related disputes in family court services. One day I was looking spiffy in my suit and society approved hair cut.... All evidence of my "shady" past was gone.... as I tootled down the sidewalk I was very proud to be perfectly blended into a pack of attorneys, and was enjoying the prospect of being mistaken as an lawyer when I noticed a long haired fellow approaching in a cheech and chong kinda way, comming up the opposite direction... he was busily staring at the ground in front of him as he walked in a path headed towards my group of lawyer friends.... as soon as he got right next to us he looks up from the ground, looks me in the eye and says, "hey dude, whats up", then he immediately began staring and walking again... he did not acknowledge any other person.... Why me, it was like some kind of freaky connection I was embarrassed of then.
I have often pondered why that he would have chosen me to greet out of all those guys who were dressed the same in our suits and ties. I was disguised very well.
Must be some kinda radar love or once a head always a head kinda thing...
anyhow... Once a shaman always a shaman!
Peace
GD
I guess its the desire to be ones own self... or even just the desire to be a deviant

Edited by Guitardude, 28 April 2010 - 08:59 PM.

• Coopdog, Phineas_Carmichael and Oneyedraven like this

#23 curenado

curenado

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 949 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:14 PM

Where I live I rather enjoy the redneck monsters having to ask the "Long haired half-breed!" from that Church that "Reads Books!" for help with that zuchinni sized liver tumor :nana:
:eusa_whis
Hey, they're not all like that - just most of 'em....:lol:
But the relevant thing is - I've been both and yeah, you still remain you on the inside and what else can one do?

(You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Teo again)

Edited by curenado, 28 April 2010 - 08:23 PM.

#24 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:14 PM

Much love brother.

:heartbeat:heartbeat:heartbeat

Peace and Light,

:pirate: TR

#25 DivineMomentsofTruth

DivineMomentsofTruth

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 581 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 05:55 PM

when providing for others the choice to change isnt always there. you need to do what is necessary to care for your loved ones.

once a shaman always a shaman is where its at. you are a shaman at heart, doesnt matter what an outward appearance displays. never judge a book by its cover is what ive always been told.

#26 Frequency

Frequency

Code Demon

• OG VIP
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:32 PM

Still meeting the public half-way and it's been better ever since. :hippie:

#27 FoCuSeD

FoCuSeD

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 348 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:20 PM

I almost cut my hair. . .just the other day, then I realized it was me. . .and there was nothing more to say.

#28 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,596 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:27 PM

Freq, thank you for bumping this thread. It came to me just when I needed it.
  • Frequency likes this

#29 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,292 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:45 AM

Its not about what we look like ;)
I love going into important meetings with my plaid hunting coats on ;)
I a girl so I do not need to cut my hair to fit in I am happy for that
  • Coopdog likes this

#30 burp

burp

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 447 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:02 AM

from my points of view and where i come from i have come to understand that cops judge a book by its cover (and really not only them but alot of people as well)
therefore i have adopted a casual/outdoor comfortable everyday look, since it kind of fits my taste, to feel and be safer and thats a fact

i used to look like a punk skateboarder as a kid, used to state my views with my look or something like that, used to paint my hair or had dreadlocks
i think your "compromise" is so much insignificant to what you could and i wish you to achieve because of an easier acceptance and no criticism by people who will have nowhere to focus except your speech, well that and at pair of beautiful eyes too? thats up to them :)

all the best
  • Coopdog likes this

#31 username420

username420

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 249 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:47 AM

Be yourself, because you can't be no one else.

Regarding looks: well, you can't judge a book by its cover. And time has shown each and everyone of us that looks are deceiving as fuck.

So use it for your advantage. Remember that most people will judge you by how you look.

Damn, I'm still strugglin with this one, I too judge people by them looks.

And first impressions count more than you'd think.

To me, I try to be the most average looking. But then again, what is average looking?

Polo shirts with jeans do the trick for me.

Hidden tattoos and removed piercings, yeah, that's me.

If you guys are really into what you convey with your image, then I'd recommend you study body language and also work on your self-image *before* attempting any lasting change in yourself. You have to know what you'd like to communicate. And you have to know, that you can't not communicate.

Here are some traits that you can cultivate, and yes, there's a way to fit them in the way you look:

Power
Confidence/trustworthy
Wisdom
Knowlege
Patience
Sex awareness
Money
Fashion savvy
Your groove

The list is endless.

Once you have your picks, ask yourself *WHY* you want to convey this image.

That question is tricky. Everyone will have a different answer.

Some people would like to be secure at their job. Other would like to get as many chicks/dicks as possible. Some other people want to portray confidence (bank cashiers, lawyers, doctors, con artists). Overall, with looks, is about making an statement. Is a shortcut for the other humans so they can categorize you inside their brain. And for most people is to look "good" and avoid "looking bad", for whatever that means.

What you have to understand is that no matter how you look, you will still be trapped inside that flesh puppet.

Be nice with yourself, assertiveness is very useful in moulding your character. Looks are secondary (to some).

I loved this line: Eventually there comes a point where making a statement comes second to making a difference. Knowing which is which requires wisdom.
  • Coopdog and Oneyedraven like this

#32 mate0x

mate0x

st0ned

• OG VIP
  • 4,607 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:10 AM

Its not about what we look like ;)
I love going into important meetings with my plaid hunting coats on ;)
I a girl so I do not need to cut my hair to fit in I am happy for that

Only in Canada.....

:teeth:

I am glad you found your compromise my friend, I am still looking for mine.

My point is that I have to compromise with society to better myself and my family.

#33 Frequency

Frequency

Code Demon

• OG VIP
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:24 AM

So many good response here. It warms my heart. I had a gut feeling to bump this thread for some reason.
Feel free to message me or post here about any personal journeys and I will share with you as well.

#34 Frequency

Frequency

Code Demon

• OG VIP
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 05:08 PM

Going on 10 years since this manifesto was written and it's words were never more relevant to my life.

I hope all of you have had an amazing decade and here's to another 10 years of excitement, experimenting, and learning to love ourselves. <3

Any old friends still around? Cheers guys.

• TVCasualty, Coopdog and Cuboid like this

#35 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 11,678 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 September 2019 - 08:42 PM

There might be one or two of us still here...

Welcome back! And it's good to hear those changes worked well for you. That's a pretty serious revelation to have and act on (and stick with!). As I read back through it I was smiling thinking "That's called going undercover!" (for the good guys). I'm a fan of being a "social chameleon" and my fashion aesthetic would be best described as "invisible." Not like by wearing a ghillie suit (unless I'm in the woods), but as in by dressing so unremarkable and average as to leave no one with a memory of my having been wherever I was.

It's always the Great Compromise, ain't it?

I try to instruct the imprudent about the wisdom of keeping the world of "practicing" separate from the world of "preaching" when it comes to things that society outlaws and frowns upon. So tell the world about the wonders of psychedelics but don't be growing or making them at the time, or grow/make them but keep your mouth shut and let someone else handle the preachin'.

I've always flown my freak flag very, very low. So low in fact that there was one occasion when I was introduced to a legally-ambiguous scene of eager up-and-coming students of amateur mycology (by someone I knew in the group that wanted me to be a 'consultant') and some of the people in it (those whose proverbial freak flags were huge and hoisted all the way up for all to see) were expressing concerns to others that they thought I might be a narc. As if narcs won't have dreads and tattoos and piercings ffs... I only wish I could truly express just how breathtaking of an irony that really was. I still laugh about it.

But I'm glad for all the people out there who do fly those freak flags high and proud. They help change the culture slowly but surely and they draw attention away from those who are busy making ...other things happen.

And I'm definitely looking forward to the next decade. It's the one I've been waiting for (or working towards, rather). The last decade sucked ass beyond my wildest nightmares, and I hope to see it end by mid-October (it's still ongoing, but waning fast).

• Coopdog likes this

#36 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,735 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 September 2019 - 11:58 PM

I always had a sort of biker vibe going on, blue jeans, black tshirts and lots of skulls and big boots. I quit smoking weed a couple years ago and had to find something else to build myself on, and wanted to change my image. Now I still wear bluejeans, big work boots and black tshirts but they are all about music and guitar nowadays. I kept my hair short for 6-7 years after a lifetime of long wild hair, and now I am in the process of growing my hair back. Not sure if I will make it or not as the temptation to cut it has been strong. I really want it back though but it irritates me in my face all the time. Not sure where I am going with this, but I remember the original post, and I am damn glad to see another oldschool member still here. 

Not sure why I wanted to grow my hair again, I have a good job, not looking for a girlfriend or anything like that, more I just want to get back to who "I" think of myself as being, and that is a long haired rough ass guitar playin beer drinking and generally good man with Shamanistic tendencies and all of the above. All my life I have been fighting with the bad first impression thing, and it amazes me how no matter how I look, I always have to get past that before I can communicate properly with anyone. People can see right through any sort of disguise I wear, so I might as well go with it. Glad to see you around man, and hope you stop in more often Mr. Shaman. 

#37 Thacan

Thacan

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 193 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 04:58 AM

Thanks for bumping this thread as I am pretty new here. This is a thread of gold. Simply one of those threads that makes up the best of mycotopia’s DNA. I went through something similar in the 70s, as I was a proud hippie, flower child, freak of the times and that part of me may be quiet, but alive and well. The only thing I regret is having lost one of the best friends that I ever had before we could reconnect. But alas, what a wonderful life it has been. Take care and enjoy wherever and whatever you are!
  • wildedibles likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!