Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Who on mycotopia was a hippie in the 1960's

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Poll: were you a Hippie in the 60's?

were you a Hippie in the 60's?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 space-cosmonaut

space-cosmonaut

seeing is believing

• Expired Member
  • 342 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 05:37 PM

Hi im curious to know which members on mycotopia got to experience The 60's and the flower movement. Some things you might have done if you lived then. Went to the original woodstock. Saw the beatles in their prime. Took 60's potent lsd. Maybe tried dmt when it wasnt well known. Knew someone or yourself owned a painted VW bus. Was in San Francisco during the summer of love. Protested the vietnam war with flowers in your hair.

These are just a few things that you couldve done back then. I myself wasnt alive then, but i would like to know who was. :hippie:

#2 Guest_Yogin_*

Guest_Yogin_*

Posted 20 March 2010 - 06:42 PM

I wanted to be a hippie but i needed to start elementary school first. I WAS pretty close to Woodstock at the time (within 50 miles) and was aware of it, but my parents were not of that culture so all I knew of it was from TV and radio

#3 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 March 2010 - 06:47 PM

My dad and uncle went to Woodstock. . . guess I am deeply in debt to the previous generation.

:pirate: TR

#4 bugs

bugs

Are we having fun yet?

• OG VIP
  • 3,252 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 March 2010 - 06:49 PM

Not a hippie, more like a cross between a beatnik and a freak.

#5 space-cosmonaut

space-cosmonaut

seeing is believing

• Expired Member
  • 342 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 07:32 PM

Thanks for the replies. So Yogin seems to have been the only one from that time period so far. Not old enough to particapate in the culture, but its awesome you were there in that time. Anybody else have any experiences from back then?

#6 SilvrHairDevil

SilvrHairDevil

Gatekeeper

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,838 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 07:33 PM

I saw Peter, Paul & Mary in concert and Pete Seeger in a coffee house in Yorkville village before hippies made it to Toronto from California (ca. pre-1965.)

I saw the Bob Dylan performance where he switched from Folk to Rock for the second set.

#7 Obscurecraving

Obscurecraving

five pipe harry

• Expired Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 09:05 PM

So in 1969, I was 13-1/2 yrs old. My parent's straight as can be. Father worked for Lockheed in the Defence Dept. (Flat Top hair cut, white shirt and slender solid dark tie) and mom was an at home mother. (Dressed like Beaver's mom in 'Leave it to Beaver'). I had an older brother & 2 older sisters, (where do you think I got my dope) with a younger brother, poor kid, he got the crap beat out of him all the time. Think: Leave it to Beaver, My Three Sons, Donna Reed show and the Patty Duke show all wrapped into one.

In '69 My parents let me grow my hair long, like the Beatles, and run around like a little surfer dude, (Stripped Surfer Shirt & Blue jean cut-offs and Bare feet) and don't forget the skateboard. We hung-out with all the older kids, shit there was 3 Garage Bands on the block. Many of the older dudes made the trek up to Hait District, SF. CA. to score. Took the train or just hich-hiked to get there. No Big Deal.

I lived at the bottom of the Acid triangle of Northern CA. San Francisco- Oakland- Mountain View/Los Altos being at the bottom. Many of the true stoners spent time there, Los Altos that is. Jim Morrson lived there when he was young and at home with his fokes. Terrance Mckenna, durning High School days. Joan Biaes (sp) and Angla Davis were all locals, with a notable Steve J. just down the street, I'am typing on one of his computers right now. Shit his father gave me my first beer. I believe Steve once said; "dropping Acid was the second or third most important thing I've done in my life".

The acid was great, we had 'Window Pane', Purple Dbl-dome, some of the best blotter, Mr. Majestic, Four way-split, & Keep on Truck-en Man. Real Orange Sunshine. It was rumered that the kings of product worked Mtn. View Area in '88. AKA "William Lenorad Picard jr". of Mill Valley just N. of SF. CA. & "Clyde Apperson of Mountain View, CA.

Was I a Hippie in the '60ies? no, it took another 4 yrs.

The World was changing and we were part of it....

Edited by Mrs.Hippie3, 21 March 2010 - 03:49 PM.

#8 potisok

potisok

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 09:11 PM

I was alive and the right age to be a hippie but grew up living in the middle of the us of a, so more like a want to be hippie as the west coast was where it was at. I have been called one all my life, long hair, make love not war kind of guy. Have always considered myself a "freak", maby a late blooming hippie, went to viet nam instead of the summer of love, tried most of what was available on Ocean Beach when it came to expanding your mind, did see some cool concerts, not Woodstock thought. Mostly just have had fun. Not my graphics on the van but it was mine, bought it from an older freak, just sold it to another old freak two years ago, needed some one with a roof for its proper care. PeacePosted ImagePosted Image[IMG]http://http://mycotopia.net/forums/members/potisok-albums-bus-picture5525-a.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://mycotopia.net/forums/members/potisok-albums-bus-picture5524-a.jpg[/IMG]

#9 space-cosmonaut

space-cosmonaut

seeing is believing

• Expired Member
  • 342 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 09:38 PM

Wow, obscure craving and potisok. Sounds like you both had fun in your generation. Obscure craving- Im glad you got to taste amazing acid like that. Potisok- cool van, have you had it since the 60's?

#10 potisok

potisok

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 10:19 PM

Not the one pictured (only had it a couple of decades), I have had vw's since the 60's, had a 59 transporter before the one pictured. You ask about painted vw's and I always liked the paintings, wondered what kind of trip the artist/owner was on, found a battered drum stick deep in the interior, always wished it could tell stories about where it had been. VW's and Harlie's are a lot alike, it seems like you are always working on them and they like to mark there spot with a little oil. The one pictured did make it with me to a Grateful Dead concert , it was fun. The sixties are overrated, I still wear flowers in my hair and hate war just as much 40 years later and enjoy it more.

#11 firerat

firerat

Very Hoppy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,882 posts

Donator

Posted 20 March 2010 - 10:22 PM

Shit man my mom was a kid in the 60's. :lol:

More than likely I would have been a hippie.

Who knows though. I tend to stray away from whats popular.

#12 friedrice

friedrice

FRIED CULTURE

• Expired Member
  • 470 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 11:21 PM

yea my parents were born in 65 and 68. I think I would have loved it though.

#13 kaliman

kaliman

Research maniac

• Expired Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 12:34 AM

Come on... I am still young and handsome. I was a hippie in the 60´s and I am one today, the tradition is alive.

Cheers

#14 Guitardude

Guitardude

No Additional Ingredients

• Expired Member
  • 567 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 11:31 PM

I was 14 when I took my first acid in 1974. Red pyramid.... White lighting...
My parents were not into the idea of me being a head. But... what could I do, growing up in sacramento ca... we always had the best from the bay area...

Peace
GD
:rasta:

#15 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 April 2010 - 12:10 AM

I was 1 in '69 and my Dad was a National Guardsman in Washington, D.C. slapping hippies with a billy club.

I've never cared for an excessive amount of bathing, though. Does that count for anything?

#16 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 6,899 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 April 2010 - 05:25 AM

I got started in 69 - 70 and my first hash and weed came home with the kids coming back from nam.

Sunshine family was still producing...

#17 valleyofmushies

valleyofmushies

Found

• Expired Member
  • 445 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 05:41 PM

no i was not alive then but now i am ....becoming a hippie, more or less...but i am me !...maybe turning to west soon as to join but i would like the woods as i think that where most are in hiding.

#18 Wodwo

Wodwo

The Wild One

• Expired Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 06:26 PM

I grow up in the Fair Fax area of LA, CA during the 50’s/60’s and was in Jr. High & first few years of High school 65/68. My brother was taking art classes at UCLA then and was hanging out at the avant-garde club called Pandora’s Box till it was closed and at times he would take me along with him. It was a hangout for the artsy-crafty intellectual types and the center the Hippie movement there on the Sunset strip. They were still getting Beat poets & writers to come in and do readings from their works. Most of this crowd moved over to Cantors Cafeteria in the Fair Fax District after they closed for their sessions, especially later at night. Leaving the Sunset Strip to the hosers, posers and run a ways and a time later the gays.

The family moved to Northern OC, CA in 65 which was more like living in the country back then so I could own a horse and have a FFA farm project. My forays to Pandora’s Box were limited to when my brother would take me and it was about 2 to 4 times a month. But when I got my driver’s license and a car I was all over the place; Cantor’s, Hollywood Blvd., Laguna Beach, free (they would pass the hat) concerts by groups like the Grateful Dead (they been doing this since the Acid Test days a few years earlier were so one would go a head of them and get the permits to have a concert most times in a park) at Griffith Park and the area around the Whisky a GOGO (I had snagged my brother’s Drivers license, he was five years older than me and we looked some much alike other than me being three inches taller).

I had the whole long hair then going on and a fawn suede leather western jacket with the leather fringe and a large Tibetan Sky Eye beaded on the back with small glass beads by one of my brother’s girl friends, toe rings, an ear ring and my TJ sandals or western boots.

My brother had some friends from school that had moved to the north shore area of San Francisco and I stayed with them for a few weeks during the summer of 67 and I can say that most of the people who started the Haight-Ashbury colony had filtered out of town and it was mostly run a ways and I want to be's who can pouring into town from all over the country because head there was going to be this big happening and then there were the drug dealers and pimps to take advantage of these mostly kids. The diggers were the only ones that were caring of these people, everything from food to clothing and at time some place to clean up and sleep that was off the streets. I was one of the lucky ones as I had a place to stay and a train ticket back home and after three weeks I was more than glade to return home. There was very little love that summer in the city by the bay.

So I guess I was a Hippie.

Hell I even was at the Woodstock Festival with my brother. He had dropped out of college losing his 2S draft deferment and was drafted within months. He had taken nineteen days of leave before being shipping out to Vietnam. He visited with the family for a few days and then we drove almost nonstop from here in CA to NY armed with our tickets which we never were able to use. By the time we got the town of Bethel the road to White Lake was jammed and later we paid another farmer to let us park on his property as the road to Yasgur dairy farm had come to a stop with cars that had broken down or ran out of gas. We packed up what we could carry again armed with our tickets and a few hundred dollars each (there was to be an art & craft show & sells as part of the festival) thinking there would be food sells inside the festival along with areas where you could clean up. We didn’t get to the festival till midday Friday (we started about 4:30 that morning) and the fence was down, there was little food (the food service and delivery trucks were stuck on the road) and few toilets let alone being able to wash; then the rain came. We still had the time of our lives! It was the last time I was ever able to do anything with brother again as he passed away in 70 after being wounded in Vietnam almost a year later.

Those were the days of sweet memories and deep sorrow. I still cry and ask myself why he didn’t stay in school. Jimmy you dam fool you would have had a life time to find yourself, I miss and love so; at times expecting you to walk up to me from a crowd and say how it’s going Kido!

Edited by Wodwo, 11 December 2010 - 08:56 PM.
To correct so grammar, punctuation & spelling

#19 dead_diver

dead_diver

Stoned Since '76

• OG VIP
  • 3,496 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 December 2010 - 08:38 PM

I lived in San Mateo in the late 60's, just a few miles south of San Fransisco, but I was too young to be a hippy. My parents were what most people would considered beatnicks but they never used that word. I think "bohemian" is what they called the lifestyle. We would to go to San Fransisco on weekends and there seemed to be a lot of hippies but I didn't think anything of it. It just seemed normal. I didn't start smoking pot until the mid 70's and by then I was into surfing and skateboarding. There still were hippies around but it was starting to fade away by then.

Edited by dead_diver, 11 December 2010 - 08:43 PM.

#20 Wodwo

Wodwo

The Wild One

• Expired Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 10:26 PM

My parents were what most people would considered beatnicks but they never used that word. I think "bohemian" is what they called the lifestyle.

Beatniks were people who were followers of the Beat poets and writes of the 50’s into the med 60’s that would travel around and do reading at clubs and coffee houses. North Beach in San Francisco, Sausalito, and San Mateo had a fair number of people with a more layed back life style during 60’s and were often referred to as being Beatniks, but referred to themselves as being hipsters many times. It was some of these people from the North Beach area when it started to become a more upscale area and the cost to live there was becoming too high that started the Haight-Ashbury colony and then started to refer to themselves as hippies. Most of those people moved out Haight-Ashbury before or during the summer 67 to places like San Mateo & Santa Cruz when they found their colony being ruined by outsiders.

The usage of the term bohemian and bohemian lifestyle is an euphemism you start to hear more and more over the last 10 to 15 years to describe artist, writers, beatniks and hippies, ex. of the late 50’s though the med 70’s and was taken from what the actors/actress, artist and writers of Left Bank in Paris after WW1 were called. That was taken from the people of bohemia that lived in the area we now call the Czech Republic which during Roman times had this reputation of having a very open and free loving life style and were some of the last peoples of Europe to give up Paganism for Christianity.

Edited by Wodwo, 11 December 2010 - 11:23 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!