9 replies to this topic

#1 jestah

jestah

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 04:54 AM

Hi

A foaf tryed her first extraction a few days ago. It went a little something like this:

She drove around for 5 hours to find the her MOONSHINE still. It produce very CLEAN ethanol at around 95.5% (i think the max % AT sea level is just over 96%) in 2 distilations but it is a 1.3m tall refluxing beast, if any one wants help putting one together i could make a tek...

She then put down a 25L brew. Just sugar water , high alcohol yeast and some nutes. Worst tasting beer you would ever drink but after a good slow refluxing no taste what so ever! When it was fermented out she distilled it haviing a quite laugh about the last time she was using it her and 3 mate were next to what is baseicly a large bomb (hot HIGH % alcohol vapor inside a metal casing) smoking.... All because her BF at the time forced her to partake in the shed....:rasta: any way. After a long day of distilling she had 3L of very clean alc. Half went to some fresh home growen plums (mmm plum vodka) the rest will be used to make some ... Mushroom vodka... not quite so appeling but very fun

She ground 6g and soaked it in 120m of 95% for a week she then filtered and drank as much as she could befor becoming pssed.

Good fun but as this was only 20mL of the vodka she only got a very mellow dose... not so fun as she dont like drinking that much.

Should she have reduced this down? what are the best methods? She is back to her workshop next week and will have access to her vaccume pump. She was thinking of using this to reduce the BP of the alc so she could reduce it with out potancy loss. what temp dose this occure?

Also she has read that the crystals will fall out of solution at some point. could this be used as a good test for potancy? should the saturation point of any solvant be the same?

any way off to bed
night

#2 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 20 February 2006 - 11:04 AM

Edit: Moved this thread to General Discussion.

#3 jestah

jestah

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 03:09 PM

Why the move? Is this not mostly about a foaf's attempt to extract the magic from fungi?

#4 Bromius

Bromius

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 243 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 02:37 AM

First off, it's been like 8 months since I've had the net so I'd just like to say it's good to be back! It appears my computer remembers being here (kind of worrying... is there a cookie I can delete or is this the mycotopia server remembering me??)

Anywho, I was just curious exactly how long it took to distill down that 25 L. Do you know what the % alc of your starting brew was? At any rate, good to see there are some folks out there with a healthy disregard for anachronistic laws regulating distilling. :cool:

#5 Soliver1

Soliver1

Deranged

• Expired Member
  • 631 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 03:40 PM

As a general rule, you can put one gram of dried mush into every
10ml of grain alcohol. Let it sit on the counter for a few weeks,
shaking it whenever you walk by, then strain.

I like to evaporate a lot of the alcohol off so I don't have to drink
so much to trip, usually about 1/2 the liquid, so 5ml = 1 gram.

Depending on the mushies you start with, you'll have some precipitation
of crystals at this point. I don't like the crystals, as I like all of my
actives to be in liquid form, so if that happens I'll shake it up
until they go back into solution.

I've never used a vacuum pump, but they sound cool....
I just use a pyrex dish, a small fan, and a heating pad from the local
drugstore. The pad goes under the dish (with the solution in the dish)
and I put the fan on it until about 1`/2 the solution is gone.

There is some potency loss, but if you work in large amounts,
such as starting with 1/2 oz shrooms (15ish grams) and 150 mls
grain alcohol, then it's negligible. Keep in mind that I pretty much
always use Puerto Ricans for my extractions, which may tip
the scale somewhat, as this strain is wicked strong.

Using other strains . . . I'm not sure, you may want to up the amount of
mush by .5?

Let us know how it all works out for you,

Soliver

:)

#6 Soliver1

Soliver1

Deranged

• Expired Member
  • 631 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 03:43 PM

BTW -

I rarely dose more than 1g at a time when eating PR's,
which means I can throw 5ml of stuff into a glass of OJ and
be in hyperspace in 15 minutes...

your results with different strains, your brain, tolerance, preference
etc., may vary...

:)

#7 dead_diver

dead_diver

Stoned Since '76

• OG VIP
  • 3,542 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 February 2006 - 07:11 PM

Soliver, your avatar made me think of the Hallucinogenic Toreador. Think I may go down and look at it again on some shrooms :). The mural is an incredible experience. If you ever get a chance, go see it...."The toreador can easily be seen by noting the green necktie in the center of the painting. His face can be seen looking off to the right of the painting, while the flies (to the left and above) make up his cape and his beret, respectively. The head of Dalí's wife, Gala, was painted in the top left corner because she frowned upon bullfighting. A bull's head can be seen near the bottom left corner under an array of receding rows of coloured circles. Underneath the bull's head is a pool containing a woman in a bikini on top of a pool chair. When asked about the woman, Dalí said that the viewer needed something familliar to look at."....can anyone see the head of the decapitated toreador? I wonder if it got torn off by a bull?

Attached Thumbnails

• The_Hallucinogenic_Toreador.jpg

#8 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 11:29 PM

if any one wants help putting one together i could make a tek...

that would be interesting

cool art, D_D

#9 dead_diver

dead_diver

Stoned Since '76

• OG VIP
  • 3,542 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 March 2006 - 12:28 AM

Without giving away my location too much just let me say Dali is near and dear to me. It's impossible to get a feel for the magnitude of the mural just from a picture. The museum had to place it in front of a 2nd floor balcony so you can see the bottom half close up, then go up to the balcony to see the rest close up. It's also positioned so you can see the whole thing from either floor without any obstructions. It reaches from floor to ceiling of the two story museum. It's just freakin unreal as it should be :) I must admit I find much of his art beyond my understanding but sometimes it talks to me ;)

#10 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 04:33 PM

how big IS it ?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!