159 replies to this topic

#1 mydarling

mydarling

(actual mycologist)

• Expired Member
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 09:04 PM

:greenboun springtime is upon us! :greenboun

our backyard is exploding in life. birds are chirping, flowers are blooming, and everything is turning a verdant shade of green. it's a fun thing to watch happen. generally speaking, i would much rather have gloomy, wet, dark weather - but this spring, i am feeling inspired...

IMG_0731.JPG

so, i've decided to try to grow a veggie garden! historically my thumb has been more "blue" than "green,” so i will take this on as a challenge, and as something positive to put my energy into. i need to get into some hobbies again to keep myself in a positive mind-frame, and this felt like a good hobby to try. growing things is very gratifying.

so, hopefully this photo log will be of interest to a few of you out there! it's not very exciting yet, since i haven't even planted anything... ;)

to start, lys & i went and bought a bunch of gardening supplies. large shovel, small hand trowels, gloves, plant shears and clippers, weed puller/small rake thingymajig, etc etc etc.

also got some extra pots and a tomato trellis :D, and organic compost and organic worm castings to supplement the existing dirt. although i did find some earthworms wriggling around in some of the wetter spots, the dry, crumbly earth just seems like it could use some help.

IMG_0730 (small).JPG

as for location: on the south side of our house, there are 2 areas of unoccupied dirt. the big one is about 12' long x 3' deep, and the other is shorter and skinnier at about 7' x 8” deep. i don't think anything's really ever grown in these patches of dirt, except for opportunistic weeds :weedpoke:, grass stretching out from the main lawn, and lots of clover. so, the dirt was pretty dry and compacted for the most part.

it took 6 hours of hard labor to prep these long-neglected patches for veggies (and man, my hands are SORE!). i dug out all the weeds/ grass/dandelions/extensive beds of clover; cleared away the fallen plant debris; trimmed the nearby plants that were overgrown or in the way; and dug up all the earth with a large shovel so that it could be loosened up and moistened.

so, here's the progress of the large spot. i didn't think to take any pictures until after i was already working on it, sorry! this is about ½ way through digging out the bigger weeds, and after i've already trimmed all the neighboring plants. close up shots of weeds, oooh you know you love that shit...

IMG_0692 (small).JPG

yard waste bin ½ full already!!!

IMG_0682 (small).JPG

below is after i finished digging up every tiny little fuckin' weed from that large patch and trimmed up the rose bush:

IMG_0714 (small).JPG

then, i used the large shovel to dig up all the dirt a few inches down and hosed it down to add some moisture

IMG_0720 (small).JPG

these next pics are showing the 2nd shorter, skinnier area - before and after i uprooted all the weeds and the cleared off the 2” layer of plant debris. heh.

IMG_0723 (small).JPG

yo, CHECK IT OUT... even a few wormies were chillin' in the dirt! that's a good sign eh?

IMG_0702 (small).JPG

so, what is going to end up in this garden of ours ????

for the bigger patch, i'm planning to try carrots, eggplant, zucchini or squash, potatoes, hot or sweet peppers, cucumbers, lettuce, and such. the skinner one will be for herbs like chives, basil, thyme, and cilantro, since they don't need that much space.

also, we will use the big round pot and tomato trellis for yellow pear tomatoes, and the two long planter boxes for strawberries!!! WOO HOO!!! :teeth:

so, next step is to do some research and figure out exactly when each type of veggie should be planted. i think it's a little early for most of them, but perhaps ok to do herbs soon. i am waffling between growing from seed or buying small sprouts from the nursery... we shall see! also will be looking into mulching the ground surface with either plastic, straw, or wood chips.

updates to be made as the project continues. any input/tips from you gardeners out there is welcome :) thanks for checking out this thread!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0697 (small).JPG
  • IMG_0699 (small).jpg
  • IMG_0698 (small).JPG
  • IMG_0688 (small).jpg
  • IMG_0691 (small).JPG
  • IMG_0681 (small).JPG
  • IMG_0729 (small).JPG
  • IMG_0684 (small).jpg
  • IMG_0709.JPG
  • IMG_0711 (small).JPG
  • IMG_0676 (small).JPG
  • IMG_0678 (small).JPG
  • IMG_0705 (small).JPG

Edited by mydarling, 22 March 2010 - 11:48 PM.

• Burger, shroom_seeker, DarkLestor and 3 others like this

#2 Mr Kush

Mr Kush

Wild Cactus Child

• Expired Member
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 09:50 PM

Wow mydarling you have a beutiful backyard/garden:eusa_ange.
I'm excited to see how this one goes.
I love gardening but unfortantly I cant help you all that much as this is going to be my first year with the veggies as well.
I do know that you should be nice to the earthworms tho he he (they love fish emulsion) as they will aerate the soil:rasta:

#3 tex

tex

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 266 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:26 PM

Nice set-up u got their!! :cool:

#4 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,904 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:48 PM

Nice! Enjoy your yard work, :lol: and save some space for woodlovers also!

#5 Dr.Hallucination

Dr.Hallucination

Chasing the Rabbit.

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,480 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:57 PM

You have a very nice cactus collection there mydarling.

#6 mydarling

mydarling

(actual mycologist)

• Expired Member
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 11:11 PM

You have a very nice cactus collection there mydarling.

actually, you gotta give credit to lysergic for that one. :bow::heart: he's been taking care of these guys for at least a year now! he posted a thread about them way back when he cut it and they all pupped, but i can't seem to find the link... hey lys, where's yer damn san pedro thread? :loveeyes:

and, thanks for the feedback everyone! hope i don't let you down, i don't have a very good history of keeping plants alive :o lol

#7 Oblivion

Oblivion

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 12:51 AM

I second the cactus collection. Wow spring already, still brown around here but not for long.

#8 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,157 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 March 2010 - 02:16 AM

for the bigger patch, i'm planning to try carrots, eggplant, zucchini or squash, potatoes, hot or sweet peppers, cucumbers, lettuce, and such. the skinner one will be for herbs like chives, basil, thyme, and cilantro, since they don't need that much space.

also, we will use the big round pot and tomato trellis for yellow pear tomatoes, and the two long planter boxes for strawberries!!! WOO HOO!!! :teeth:

so, next step is to do some research and figure out exactly when each type of veggie should be planted. i think it's a little early for most of them, but perhaps ok to do herbs soon. i am waffling between growing from seed or buying small sprouts from the nursery... we shall see! also will be looking into mulching the ground surface with either plastic, straw, or wood chips.t this thread!

Nice thread. Always good to see some hot gardening action :thumbup:

We're a solid month ahead of typical in my spot...I'm thinking you're in a similar climate but I don't really know what's going on in your area atm. I know that normally, you'd be ahead of me. I say that 'cause we're already putting spuds, peas, carrots and onions in the ground.

We just planted 150 square feet of both onions and potatoes (man I love harvesting potatoes. It's like finding buried treasure). We decided to plant a new hedgerow at the front of our property after that so ran out of time for the rest of the veggies this week. We'll put carrots and peas in next weekend, or if we can find time this week. I'm guessing you could be planting your carrots and potatoes already.

If you have the time and space, it's nice to sprout your spuds indoors before putting them in the ground - they seem to do better ime. Something you may also be interested in, is building a cold-frame. We use one to grow our salad greens. It's kind of like a mini-greenhouse. Here's a link I found about them (http://midwestpermac...16248:Group:466). I didn't really read it thoroughly but it seemed to have some pics and a little building explanation...you can get creative. Basically, our cold-frames allow us to extend our 'greens' about two weeks either side of the growing season. We plant salad mix in there 'cause we don't really need too much space for that. We've also had success with basil and cilantro in there.

If I could choose, I'd go with wood chips or straw for mulching rather than plastic. Aside from weed supression, chips and straw add organic matter to the soil as they break down. Though it's becoming almost impossible to obtain, free loads of alder chips in my area may also have the added bonus of coming with free cyanescens mycelium. I just wouldn't recommend using cedar chips. Certain, more benign weeds, as long as they're not going to seed, can also be left on your beds to act as a mulch as well. The down side of thorough weeding is keeping all the good stuff from returning to the soil.

Okay, enough blathering on in your thread. Good luck with your garden. So rewarding imo to cook food from your own hard work. Keep the pics coming!

#9 tenjin

tenjin

dizzy with possibilities

• Expired Member
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:18 AM

Things are looking great MD! :thumbup: you should have a killer veggie/herb garden when all is finished. And love the cacti too!

As far as when to plant, I know you can do things like carrots, onions, lettuce, cabbage, kale and the likes now. These type plants fair better in cooler weather than blazing heat. I learned the hard way and planted my lettuce near end of May and going into the summer it never made a head and just shot out a long 3 foot seed pod, it may have helped to have a little more shade too which I didn't have and our summers get ridiculously hot. But now I try these type veggies starting in the spring and harvest in summer or starting in summer and harvest in fall. But of course alot of this depends on your location too and I'm in the south zone 7. Oh and tomatoes, peppers, corn, okra and the likes love the hot summer and not cool weather.

As for herbs I think anytime is good for them depending on last frost. Alot of my herbs either stay green throughout the year (like rosemary) or die back in winter and come back in spring (like oregano).

#10 SharkieJones

SharkieJones

• OG VIP
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 10:29 AM

Nice pics. Love the cacti.

#11 MrChen

MrChen

Rocky Mountain High

• Expired Member
  • 2,098 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:18 AM

I have started my tomatoes and peppers inside as well as spring greens, radishes and onions...still a month before I dare to plant outside here. Can't wait though, looks nice myd!
  • Rhyno likes this

#12 MycoDani

MycoDani

Myco Chick

• Site Administrator
  • 9,862 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 March 2010 - 12:16 PM

Wow mydarling you have a kick ass garden, its so groovy:love:

Enjoy it and good vibes!:kewl:

Mahalo-Dani

#13 shroom57

shroom57

Papa Smurf

• Expired Member
  • 798 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 12:52 PM

Looking good MD!

What zone are you in? I'm in 7b and just finished planting peas, beats, lettuce, collards and poppies.

I've got close to 60 tomato and pepper plants in my veggie cab itching to get out!

HINT- Things like peas, cucumbers, beans, etc. would do well on a trellis in either of those spots. Peas will be done and gone in time for warm season crops and beans like to climb corn plants.

#14 RestartLater

RestartLater

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 429 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 12:56 PM

We also started tomatoes, peppers etc in doors too.

Nice choice on he use of worm castings Dani. You have to be so careful with other shit/nitrogen providers. They can have bad tendencies for nute burn. Good Luck and hope to see many more wonderful pictures.

Re Start Later
PS as soon as you can start to save all grass clipings to help fight weed growth near plants as well as to help hold the water in the ground near your plants and provide many other benefits.

#15 Burger

Burger

Old Hand.

• Validating
  • 596 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:23 PM

Very nice backyard MD! Looks like a great place to chill out and relax.

I have just finished a year long total backyard make over, but unfortunately there is no room for veggies, its been totally planted out with cacti. :D

Nice pics, I hope everything grows well for you & Lys, and you get plenty of fruits for your labor.

#16 strangedays_indeed

strangedays_indeed

meh

• Expired Member
  • 70 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 09:20 AM

that looks like a beautiful place! gardening is very fun and rewarding, especially clearing dirt out for potential seeds :greenboun

great job!

#17 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

Digging for Rainbows

• App Administrator
  • 9,083 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 March 2010 - 07:29 PM

You have a beautiful backyard. I hope your veg look as good as your cacti. :eusa_droo

#18 mydarling

mydarling

(actual mycologist)

• Expired Member
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 08:08 PM

wow, didn't realize this would drum up quite so much interest. i'm glad to know i'm amongst gardeners (and lovers of nice yards) here :D

it's gonna take me a while to respond to all the comments, so i'll come back in a little while after i've gotten good and stoned. :rasta:

#19 lysergic

lysergic

Down on the Pharm

• Expired Member
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 08:54 PM

You have a very nice cactus collection there

Thank You sir :teeth:

I'm thinking about transplanting the pups this spring.
They've been growing for almost 2 yrs now. :eusa_thin
I'll probably give them their own thread. :)

As for the veggie garden,
I'm thinking about growing artichokes (cause they kick ass)
Anyone have any experience with them,
or have any idea how big the plants can get/how much space the need?

:weedpoke:

#20 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 09:02 PM

The plants can get pretty big and bushy and they are spiny, so you want to put them somewhere you won't be in danger of brushing up against them. Depending on the cultivar, they can get about chest height and maybe 4-5 feet in diameter. The artichoke capitol of the world, Castroville is close to the coast and has poor, sandy well draining soil.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!