• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#141 mydarling

mydarling

(actual mycologist)

• Expired Member
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 10:17 PM

And the potatoes, we have slightly rocky soil I guess. I mean it's not rock free but also not hard soil or real rocky. We planted them about 2 inches deep in the soil with at least one of the "eyes" pointing up.

freaky thanks for popping in & providing input from your vast library of gardening knowledge! you da poo! :rasta:

so what time of the season did you plant the potatoes? do you know what temperature zone you're in? i think the first ones failed cause i planted them much too deep (4 inches), but the 2nd ones i did more shallow (2-3") ... so i'm wondering if it was just too late in the season by then ?

i'm in zone 8b, which is a pretty warm/temperate climate. the shallow potatoes went in may 15th = mid spring. so is that too late in the season???

as for my soil quality... the naturally occuring soil is very dense, rocky, and full of clay, but before i planted the garden i spent 2 weeks tilling and supplementing it with stuff from the nursery (top soil, compost, & worm castings - all organic). so the soil quality now is what i would call ... "fluffy" ? :lol: it doesn't compact and get hard like the rocky/clay stuff used to - it is soft & easily dug up and tilled. i've read that potatoes need "well drained" soil, which as far as i can tell means that it should be loose/fluffy as opposed to hard/compact - is this correct? if so, then i think the soil i've got now is pretty ideal ...

do you cut up your potatoes into individual eyes & let the cut chunks callous over for a few days before you plant them? do you water the soil right away or do you wait to see them sprout first?

dang i'm just really trying to figure out what i did wrong, i suck at growing potatoes. :horse:

#142 mydarling

mydarling

(actual mycologist)

• Expired Member
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 10:19 PM

nice update MD! :eusa_clap
never grew the pear tomatoes before, bet they're tasty!
also like the cilantro transformation pics. :)

hi tenjin, thanks as always for stopping by :hugs: yes the pear tomatoes are quite delicious, they've been my favorite since i was a little girl so i'm happy to be growing them myself now!

#143 MooNChilD

MooNChilD

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 317 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:53 AM

Your garden is fuckin AWESOME
MD!!!!!:teeth:you should
change the Thread name to My green thumb
:heartbeat:heartbeat:heartbeat:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:hippie::hookah:NUM NUM NOM
Thanks for the eye candy!
BEAUTIFUL !!!!!!!

#144 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• OG VIP
  • 12,357 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:54 AM

We planted our potatoes in late May, around Memorial day, when we put the onions in.

Our zone is 5b. The potatoes were not cut up at all, just planted whole. They had between 3-6 eyes average per potato. At that time of yer we still hve decent rain amounts. After planting we watered the planting spots directly then left it to nature. It took a good 3-4 weeks to see the plant appear above the soil. They have just thrown some beautiful flowers this past weekend. Definitely a slow grower. And yes, well draining soil is key. I font think they would hav doe well for us if we'd planted anywhere else.

I'll try to get some photos tonight to update, hopefully the flower are still blooming.

You'll get them growing MD. All of your garden looks great!

#145 MooNChilD

MooNChilD

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 317 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 02:47 AM

I just pulled our garlic we got about 8-10 heads some have purple
heads did you guys do any garlic! Theres nothin like the freash stuff!

#146 MooNChilD

MooNChilD

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 317 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:18 AM

HEY
Check out the plants MD sent me
Thank you
MyDarling !!!!
U :headbang:ROCK:headbang:

#147 mydarling

mydarling

(actual mycologist)

• Expired Member
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:59 PM

awwww, those look right at home, moonchild!! i am so stoked to spread the succulent love :D:D:D thanks for sharing those pics, you just made my day :hugs::hugs:

#148 MooNChilD

MooNChilD

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 317 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 12:39 AM

awwww, those look right at home, moonchild!! i am so stoked to spread the succulent love :D:D:D thanks for sharing those pics, you just made my day :hugs::hugs:

((If you want any stones pm me ok !)):heart:

#149 dub504

dub504

Le bons temps rouler

• Expired Member
  • 840 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:26 PM

Your little garden of eden looks like a slice of paradise there mydarling. Love it!
  • MooNChilD likes this

#150 Tripp

Tripp

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 890 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:38 AM

as for my soil quality... the naturally occuring soil is very dense, rocky, and full of clay, but before i planted the garden i spent 2 weeks tilling and supplementing it with stuff from the nursery (top soil, compost, & worm castings - all organic). so the soil quality now is what i would call ... "fluffy" ? :lol: it doesn't compact and get hard like the rocky/clay stuff used to - it is soft & easily dug up and tilled. i've read that potatoes need "well drained" soil, which as far as i can tell means that it should be loose/fluffy as opposed to hard/compact - is this correct? if so, then i think the soil i've got now is pretty ideal ...

do you cut up your potatoes into individual eyes & let the cut chunks callous over for a few days before you plant them? do you water the soil right away or do you wait to see them sprout first?

dang i'm just really trying to figure out what i did wrong, i suck at growing potatoes. :horse:

I've found spuds to pretty much grow themselves! As long as they've been growing a bit before you put them in the ground. My garden soil is also very claggy and full of clay too, I did a bit of work on it before I planted them, but not much at all. Yours sounds perfect! All my spuds have exploded with growth, I staggered planting them. The Charlottes have been in 3/4 months, Kind Edwards and Maris Pipers in for about 2/3 and some more Maris Pipers in for about a month now. There are different varieties which finish at different times in the year, so you should nearly always be able to get some lovely fresh spuds :)

Great thread and garden by the way, nicely done! I've very much enjoyed watching stuff grow :)

#151 mydarling

mydarling

(actual mycologist)

• Expired Member
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:55 PM

hey guys thanks for droppin by :rasta:

been a while since i posted any pics so how about an update???
my cilantro "bushes" have been producing seeds like crazy. they were so heavy with seeds they couldnt even hold themselves up anymore :space: haha

i yanked up all the cilantro today and lys & i picked off all the seeds. we separated the big seeds from the little runts, i'm not sure if the little ones will grow well - guess we shall see.
i can't believe how many seeds i got !!!! probably 20-30x as many as i planted to grow these plants from. damn prolific herbs if i ever saw any, wish my basil would grow that much :lol:

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1280897452

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0082(resize).JPG
  • IMG_0074(resize).JPG
  • IMG_0075(resize1).JPG
  • IMG_0072(resize).JPG
  • IMG_0071(resize).JPG

Edited by mydarling, 04 August 2010 - 12:01 AM.

#152 SharkieJones

SharkieJones

• OG VIP
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:43 AM

Yummy looking coriander seed, makes a great seasoning as well.

#153 dub504

dub504

Le bons temps rouler

• Expired Member
  • 840 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 11:54 AM

I heard this poem on NPR today and liked it so thought I'd share :)
The Gardener

by Ken Weisner

You get down on your knees in the dark earth—alone
for hours in hot sun, yanking weed roots, staking trellises,
burning your shoulders, swatting gnats; you strain your muscled
midwestern neck and back, callous your pianist's hands.

You cut roses back so they won't fruit, rip out and replace
spent annuals. You fill your garden dense with roots and vines.
And when a humble sprout climbs like a worm up out of death,
you are there to bless it, in your green patch, all spring and summer long,

hose like a scepter, a reliquary vessel; you hum
through the dreamy wilderness—no one to judge, absolve,
or be absolved—purified by labor, confessed by its whisperings, connected
to its innocence. So when you heft a woody, brushy tangle, or stumble

inside grimy, spent by earth, I see all the sacraments in place—
and the redeemed world never smelled so sweet.

#154 mydarling

mydarling

(actual mycologist)

• Expired Member
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 11:22 PM

very cool poem dub504, thanks for sharing that :rasta:

i actually spent most of the afternoon today in this frame of mind:

You get down on your knees in the dark earth—alone
for hours in hot sun, yanking weed roots, staking trellises,
burning your shoulders ...

when a humble sprout climbs like a worm up out of death,
you are there to bless it, in your green patch, all spring and summer long,

hose like a scepter, a reliquary vessel; you hum
through the dreamy wilderness—no one to judge, absolve,
or be absolved—purified by labor, confessed by its whisperings, connected
to its innocence.

such a poignant way of describing what it's like to take care of a garden. i'm not very good at describing things so eloquently, but it sure is nice to read it. :bow:

lots of activity in the lil garden lately ... it has been about 4.5 months since this project started and i finally get to eat stuff that i grew! i should post some new pics tomorrow. stay tuned .... i can't believe this thread is on the 4th page

Edited by mydarling, 09 August 2010 - 12:58 AM.
typo

#155 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,051 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:09 AM

wish my basil would grow that much

Hey MD,

Not sure if you're aware but basil grows better (as in, a longer duration and a bushier plant) if you begin to harvest and/or pinch off the top sets of the leaves after the plant gets to be about 6" tall.

Sounds like you're having a good time with the whole endeavor...we made a stir-fry tonight with our own broccoli, eggs, carrots, onions, garlic and shiitakes :eusa_droo I just had to buy in the ginger, cabbage (we'll have winter cabbage) and brown rice.

#156 mydarling

mydarling

(actual mycologist)

• Expired Member
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:55 AM

basil grows better (as in, a longer duration and a bushier plant) if you begin to harvest and/or pinch off the top sets of the leaves after the plant gets to be about 6" tall.

LOL my basil never got to 6" tall ... not even 3" ...... i cheated a little and bought a baby plant at the nursery and it's doing much better :teeth:

sounds like your dinner was awesome !!! :headbang: eating homegrown food is so satisfying!

#157 mydarling

mydarling

(actual mycologist)

• Expired Member
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 08:02 PM

things are looking tasty

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1281832239

the carrots are getting so big. but how do i know when they're ready? i have no idea what size they are underground but the leaves are rockin' and they get larger every day. i wanna make some carrot cake cupcakes and some carrot salad :rasta:

IMG_0097 (resize).JPG

i planted some new carrots around 10 days ago, cause i realized after i harvest the other ones, i won't have any left ... gotta have a 2nd harvest ya know.

IMG_0098 (resize).JPG

half of my red cherry tomato plant seems to have died for an unknown reason ...

IMG_0116 (resize).JPG

one of the main branches just stopped absorbing water and the leaves all shriveled up :cry: here's the dead branch (thankfully the tomatoes that were on it are still ripening ok)

IMG_0114 (resize).JPG

here's the good branch that's still alive

IMG_0118 (resize).JPG

anyone have any idea why this might have happened? seems so odd to me that only 1/2 of the plant would just stop absorbing water.

also i had some leftover red & yellow tomato seeds from my failed indoor germination experiment earlier this spring, so i decided to plant them outside. what the heck, why not? might as well use 'em up .... they went in a small section of the "herb patch" that i cleared out when i pulled up the cilantro bushes.

i also planted some more green onions & chives there, as well as started a several new big sections of CILANTRO from home grown coriander seeds :D i am really excited to see if the seeds i harvested will grow well and how they will taste.

here's the herb patch, newly planted with 2nd round of herbs (and tomato seeds). the bowl there has worm castings in it which i've been soaking with water and using to water the plants ... hoping the worm castings water will help the dying tomato plant recover, but i don't think it's working so far.

IMG_0124 (resize).JPG

the green onions i planted a while ago & the thyme are still going strong in the herb patch. i LOVE fresh thyme from the garden, it's so delicious.

IMG_0123 (resize).JPG

the strawberries i was trying to grow a few months ago never survived after their outdoor transplantation, since i couldnt water them for 4 days while i was at a festie. so about a month ago i got 6 small strawberry plants from the nursery. they went into a long planter box and are doing AWESOME, sprouting new leaves and new berries every day :) the strawberries are pretty small but they are the sweetest strawberries i have ever tasted. like pure, delicious berry-flavored sugar. they fruits are getting bigger too, the bigger the plants grow.

IMG_0109 (resize).JPG

btw - see how the bigger leaves are all red at the edges? these are the leaves that existed when i bought them. does it look like nute burn to you? (no i haven't been supplying any extra nutes, just the organic topsoil & compost that i mixed into the natural soil.) but the new leaves that have sprouted since i planted them here are perfectly green and healthy. should i be worried?

here's a pic showing the difference between the old and new leaves.

IMG_0110 (resize).JPG

so i never got any seeds from those lemon basil plants that flowered (WTF??), and the genovese basil seedlings i transplanted outdoors never grew past 2" in height (WTF?!?), so i decided to cheat a little with the basil too and picked up a small basil plant at the nursery. it was growing kinda sideways when i got it, so i decided to LST it, just like pot .... hahahha :rasta: it seems pretty darn happy though. it's gotten rather large since i planted it here.

IMG_0107 (resize).JPG

the romaine & prizehead lettuce:

IMG_0100 (resize).JPG

(yes that romaine is nearly 5 months old now but is hardly larger than a lighter. WTF ???)

the zucchinis died when i tried to train them toward the trellis :cry:, but the cucumbers didn't seem to mind the training at all. they grew quite a lot and now they even are growing some cukes !!!!!!!

IMG_0088 (resize).JPG

i am so excited to have success with one of the squashes. i wasn't sure if it was gonna ever happen, what with getting such low germination rates and the damn bugs eating them all in the beginning .... so, woohooo! :cacti:
ok here are the pepper plants! i started these indoors in march and transplanted them outside in may. they took for - ev - er to get used to being outside, but they seem to have really taken hold well now. the stems are thick and the new leaves are nice, dark green.

IMG_0096 (resize).JPG

you wouldn't know it by their size :lol: but they are almost 5 months old! i guess they probably need a few more months before they start produce any peppers, but oh well. i think 11 of the original 16 seedling i transplanted outdoors are still alive which is cool. :thumbup:

in addition to the new cilantro, tomatoes, chives, & green onions that i planted over in the herb patch, i also planted a WHOOOLE lot more green onions in the bigger garden patch, and another big area of carrots and cilantro. i also planted 3 more types of lettuce there - i know they lettuce grows better in early & late season (and we're sort of in the middle now), but this summer has been pretty mild so i figured why not try? i had some extra space where the potatoes never grew ....

IMG_0091 (resize).JPG

ok i think that's all for now :weedpoke:

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0095 (resize).JPG
  • IMG_0090 (resize).JPG
  • IMG_0087 (resize).JPG
  • IMG_0089 (resize).JPG
  • IMG_0086 (resize).JPG
  • IMG_0099 (resize).JPG
  • IMG_0101 (resize).JPG
  • IMG_0103 (resize).JPG
  • IMG_0106 (resize).JPG
  • IMG_0108 (resize).JPG
  • IMG_0111 (resize).JPG
  • IMG_0119 (resize).JPG
  • IMG_0122 (resize).JPG
  • IMG_0117 (resize).JPG
  • IMG_0092 (resize).JPG
  • IMG_0093 (resize).JPG
  • IMG_0084 (resize).JPG
  • IMG_0123 (crop).JPG
  • IMG_0107 (crop).JPG
  • IMG_0102 (crop).JPG
  • IMG_0100 (crop).JPG
  • IMG_0097 (crop).JPG
  • IMG_0095 (crop).JPG
  • IMG_0117 (crop).JPG
  • IMG_0087 (crop).JPG
  • IMG_0125 (crop).JPG
  • IMG_0118 (crop).JPG
  • IMG_0109 (crop).JPG

#158 Guest_Aislyn Wendell_*

Guest_Aislyn Wendell_*

Posted 15 August 2010 - 12:46 AM

Looks great! That strawberry almost had me licking the computer screen...:kewl:

#159 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

Digging for Rainbows

• App Administrator
  • 8,967 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 August 2010 - 03:56 AM

Lookin' good!

You can feel around the top of the carrot and see how much girth is there. Otherwise just pull a couple and see how they look. If you wish to store your carrots, wait until fall to harvest.

To store, pull them and leave them in the sun for a couple hours to kill all the little roots and put them into dormancy. Then put them in the cellar in a container with airflow, or the crisper drawer of your fridge.

#160 mydarling

mydarling

(actual mycologist)

• Expired Member
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:32 PM

sidestreet - i fondled the carrots to judge their girth just like you said ;) i thought they felt pretty big so i pulled 2 up ....

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1282102279

:lol: :lol: :lol:

they were wide, but they were short and fat! damn chode carrots!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

they tasted awesome though ...... :rasta: hehehe

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0131 (resize).JPG

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!