29 replies to this topic

#1 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 12:05 PM

:evil:
Well there is no doubt in my mind that all my recent shroom grows have been infected by an unknown bacteria or virus ,which produces an unpleasant reaction when consumed...
The first time was with redboys 2 months ago ..2nd time with amazons ,,and now my S americans are showing the telltale sighns of this nasty toxin....The first 3 pix are from my current SA grow and the 4th pic is the amazons...The appearance of spikey mycelium growing up the stem and the broadening of the base shows up about 3 days into pinning ..
Many caps never open fully and become stunted...
After my awfull red boy experience i just consumed dried mush from last summers crop with no negative effects..
So last weekend I wanted to try the amazons and took the precaution of simmering for ten miniutes as a hot tea - well guess what ...At three hours in ,i started getting this dry cough and clogging sinuses..the trip turned from colorfull to like a grimy dirty experience where nothing was really appealing any more...Once again i treated myself with raw garlic ...
The symptoms gradually subsided after about 6 hrs but could still feel abit clogged up the next day...
So my big fat question for all y'all is what the F#*K is goin on here...?
I'm shutting down all my grows till i get handle on this thing...
Now i'm leary of my recent ausi pans because even though i saw no "club foot" - they did have caps that would not open fully.....
I wonder if an alcohol presoak of the mush would kill the beast...

Attached Thumbnails

• x4.jpeg
  • x3.jpeg
  • x2.jpeg
  • x1.jpeg

#2 fucgubarn

fucgubarn

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 764 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 12:25 PM

where do you think this bacteria or virus might come from?
since its happened with 3 different stranins maybe its not the strains but comes from somewhere around you,do you think?

#3 shimmy

shimmy

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 318 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 12:45 PM

i got a cough and a very congested nose after my last trip but i think i just got a cold apparently sitting on a log in the rain can do that but i thought contams are more likely to give you stomach problems then anything else

#4 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 01:27 PM

The only thing those 3 grows had in common was the air in the room ..I suspect the grow room and maybe the whole house is carrying the air borne contam ...I never grew these "clubfoot" cubies till about last november...I will grow out this batch and photo their progression but they're goin in the dumper....

#5 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 20 February 2006 - 02:35 PM

Those look perfectly fine to me. That mycelium at the base is normal especially in high rH situations. Maybe your bad experiences are stemming from something else? How heavy of a dose are you taking? Any emotional or mental stresses going on right now?

You can develop allergies to anything. Maybe that is what is going on.

#6 anticheffy

anticheffy

Nice to be back in the air !

• OG VIP
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 03:16 PM

sometimes I get the same symptoms and have attributed it to histamine reaction and have been religiously taking antihistamines prior to a journey to avoid the trip wrecking resperitory distress.

it sux but a couple pills helps big time

#7 pcubie58

pcubie58

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 04:12 PM

I always have respiratory distress while shrooming. Kind of like a congested cough... clearing of the throat, etc.. Doesn't deter from all the fun I'm having otherwise. My hubby doesn't get the same symptoms as I and we both are eating from the same batch. You may very well be developing some sort of reaction which you may or may not be able to deal with while trippin'.
Best of luck to you.... your shrooms also look very normal to me. Lots of humidity in there!
  • AprilJean likes this

#8 lyqwyd

lyqwyd

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 658 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 04:56 PM

curanderos in the amazon report a "healing phlegm" while using various entheogens, including shroomies. mebbe ur system is just clearing out the gunk. but if you ate a different batch and had no problems... weird. have u been playing around with lots of perlite w. no dust mask? also, the past couple of grows I've had no real signs of contam besides a nasty smell and slow colonization, but the shrooms were very few and had that clubfoot thing u were talking about. i didn't eat ne of them meself, but i think a bacterial infection occured related to high humidity/wet spot that the myc seemed to conquer. it still affected fruiting however. who knows, we need a scientist in here

#9 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 05:36 PM

The effect is very pronounced even at the 1.5g dose but does not occur with my summer stock, which are also SA's...
I'm familiar with the mycelium growing on the stems at elevated RH levels..but this grow is purposely at reduced hum levels and yet the spikey myc is still forming...I'll have some follow up pics tmrw...
Decided that i will do my next gro with filtered air exchange- hopefully pollyfill can do the job...

#10 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 05:40 PM

are you letting them sporulate ?

#11 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 06:28 PM

On another case, I always let my tea simmer for around an hour or so. 10 minutes won't do it with a crop that's potentially contaminated. Bacterium that is. With my tea's I get the most clean and hammering trips. Just make sure the mushrooms are brown and spent before straining...

#12 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 07:15 PM

caps usually dont open so no real spore drop occurs ..this new crop looks better than previous ones so far...Being as i do know how to deal with the effects i will soak the dry powder in everclear and then brew as a tea for longer as laz suggested...If this does not work -that would indicate the toxin is chemical in nature rather than a biological allergen. - speculating...

#13 Pedestrian

Pedestrian

Dreamspace Transient

• Expired Member
  • 572 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 10:32 PM

Q. Are the problematic ones being consumed wet or dry?

#14 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 09:53 AM

Some of the caps are opening and just harvested everything ,,I always dry my crops fast and to cracker like levels....
If u look at these pics closely u can see that the myc radiates from the stem as corse hairs rather than the usual delicate swirling effect u normally see.....I'm starting to feel like the guy who claims to have been abducted by aliens...lol...gonna try a small dose ...

Attached Thumbnails

• yy2.jpeg
  • yy1.jpeg

#15 Pedestrian

Pedestrian

Dreamspace Transient

• Expired Member
  • 572 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 02:31 PM

That is very interesting. Never seen myc on the stems that looks like that before. Not really cottony.

#16 dead_diver

dead_diver

Stoned Since '76

• OG VIP
  • 3,541 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 February 2006 - 06:48 PM

Is it possible some type of mold could be growing on them and not shroom myc?

#17 hogwild

hogwild

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 02:48 AM

im interested to see what the problem is, my thoughts are it could be some sort of mold thats growing in your house, if you have ruled out other common contams then you might try using another room to fruit in or possibly even another house to see if the same thing happens.... there are so many variables in a situation like this...... its just a matter of where to begin....

#18 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 08:14 AM

We may never know what exactly causes this...The bottom line is to only eat normal healthy looking shrooms...The widening at the base also causes a narrowing or constriction just below the cap which retards development..

#19 iamsmiley

iamsmiley

the ice woman

• Expired Member
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 03:26 AM

those stem bottoms are odd looking,not bacteria like,looks like fungal growth,if you leave your shrooms to grow longer than normal that odd looking growth may sporulate.I have notices more rhizomorphic growth on shrooms fighting disease,but i wouldn't really call that growth rhizo

#20 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 07:49 AM

It remains a mystery but i have found the antidote -vinegar extraction....after having 5 allergic reactions in a row , now they are beautiful and clean ....life is good.....

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!